Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbag Recall Notice arrived Monday

13K views 65 replies 36 participants last post by  GeorgeRymerz 
#1 ·
Got my recall notice for our 08V on Monday. Honda states that it will be early summer before they have parts in my area to perform the swap and a second letter will be following to tell me when to schedule it in. Has anyone parked their ride due to this issue and demanded a loaner car from Honda till it can be fixed?

#4 ·
My apology, I should have said "request". I'm used to GM recalls where even though they offer in the letter, it is a fight to actually get something out of them.

I would not want to leave my car on a dealership lot for 4 months waiting on the airbag to come in. I was curious as to if anyone had asked for a loaner, what they ended up with and if there were any constraints around mileage or drivers.

#8 ·
I was given a loaner no questions ask. I was also told that it would not be equal to the CRV. Enterprise came to get me and I got a Ford Escape. So, that was a nice surprise. $35 dollars a day and 150 miles per day limit. Might be .35 cents a mile if you go over. Not clear on my rental agreement. I am using the vehicle like I would the CRV. I am going on planned trips this spring that we had already booked.

To start they said I had to leave the CRV parked at the dealer. After about a week and me going by and seeing it sitting in the full sun, I decided to call Honda about this and they told me about the waiver. I had to have the Honda representative call the dealer to explain how it worked. They had never heard of this. They had to get the wavier also printed out and then I signed. It says I cannot drive it, but every two weeks I take it for a spin around the neighborhood to get the engine up to temperature, clear the disk brakes of rust, and move the tires. I also filled the tank full to keep condensation down in the tank that can happen over time.

In terms of trade in, I decided before I got the loaner to see what the dealer would give me on the CRV for a new 2016. From that quote for my vehicle it seemed to be in line with the Kelly Blue Book. The reason I decided not to trade in is that the 2016's are still using the Takata air bag. And I bet it will get recalled down the line. I think every one of them will have to be replaced when this is all done.

#9 ·
I got a loaner also....we weer first told it would be a civic....when my wife said that we had trips planned with the CRV and that the civic wasn't big enough....they then agreed....driving a 2016 Town & Country.....on the plus side, those with loaners/rentals are likely to be first up when the parts come in....I'm sure Honda doesn't want to pay for rentals any longer than they need to pay for them.

#12 ·
I'm a new member to the forum as of today. Just started to read the entries about the air bag recall. I'm shocked at how the folks here seem to be so accepting of the way Honda is handling the Loaner Car issue. We received our notice : 2010 CRV EX-L with 49K miles on the clock on March 18, 2016. We had heard of this a year ago, but were not certain which cars were involved. Have you folks read the Safety Notice: Drivers and passengers have been Killed and seriously injured !!!!! Took the car to our dealer - Tarrytown Honda, Tarrytown, NY the next day on Saturday. They offered nothing of the way to handle it. I called AHMC on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They created a Case # and said a Case Manager would call me. I knew that wasn't going to happen. And it didn't. The rep did tell me that we could go to any nearby Honda dealer for the alternative Transportation that is mentioned in the Recall Notice. Called Greenwich Honda, Greenwich, CT. They seemed more responsive and knowledgeable. We decided to Keepour car at home. Dumping it off at the dealership made no sense. It would be dropped off on their lot (which is seriously crowded) and would Rot there. Battery would be dead, tires flat etc. They told us that the Necessary parts (both Air Bags) won't be out until mid summer or maybe longer. It's a freakin mess. So we signed the Indemnification form, left our CRV home, and Enterprise Rental car co picked us and provided a rental car. Apparently we were lucky, they would provide a basic Ford Fusion for the allotted (agreed to with Honda) rate of $41 / day. I decided to insist on a Ford Escape which is the same utility to our CRV. Enterprise informed that the rental price for the Escape is $16 MORE per Day. UNACCEPTABLE. But I took it, because I'm going to War with Honda. And the Icing on the Cake for all of you who don't realize this: After 30 Days my GEICO insurance policy only covers rental cars for 30 days!!!!! After that, there will be an additional charge of about $ 17-$20 per day. One woman who was renting a car for her Acura said in the office that she would NOT make the Loan Payment on her Acura to Honda Financial. No use of the car,no payments. My loan is with Bank of America - they won't tolerate that, so I'm stuck paying the car off while not using it. So as of Friday, March 25, 2016, my wife is driving the 2016 Ford Escape (nice car by the way, even though as a more basic model it lacks some of the features we are used to), with a wait time of Who Knows: 90 days, 120 Days. Man, that's going to be expensive. This past Friday, April 1, I was able to reach Honda rep again. Informed her of no call back from a Case manager [knowing full well with 2.5 million vehicles affected, it wouldn't happen], I insisted she record my conversation which will be followed by a letter, that I want a replacement car of the same utility, Honda to pay for that, as well as the Insurance. We'll see. The first attempt of a Class Action law suit has been foiled. Another attempt my happen very soon.
If you think about this, Honda will suffer greatly. The other manufactures affected as well (28 Million cars world wide). You are driving competitors cars, & Its costing YOU money for a problem that YOU did not create. Good Luck.

New Member: Almatti

#13 ·
OH Yeah, forgot one more thing: You cannot sell your car privately !!! Another Cost to the Customer. You can trade it in, which we re mulling over right now for a new CRV, but is the trade in value Compromised. I'm betting on it. The dealer can't sell the car either!!. I just noticed that the new 2015 and it seems the 2016 have a "vibration Issue' .... What the Hell is going on with HONDA !!!

#21 ·
I'm surprised that people have gotten letters already.
My Ridgeline is on the recall list (I checked the VIN on the website) but I never received a letter. I had to call the nearest dealership to tell them about it and they said I might be able to get it fixed in June or July.
Fortunately, my CR-V is not on the list.

#24 ·
I arrived here as a former 3-time Ridgeline owner. I was given a new 2015 CR-V EX-L to drive while I kept my Ridgeline at home for almost two months. The replacement part arrived last week (much earlier than expected), but before I could bring it in Honda issued a stop order on inflator replacements for 2007-2014 Ridgelines until further notice - no explanation was given. I tried to buy the CR-V from the dealer who loaned it to me, but they wouldn't sell it since it is still under contract with Honda as a courtesy vehicle. This past weekend, I swapped my Ridgline for a 2016 CR-V Touring.

Just FYI - Honda officially allows $35/day for a rental through Enterprise. It's mostly up to your local Enterprise as to which vehicle they'll give you. Honda pays a lower rate than walk-in customers. Some people get Altimas while others get full-size pickups. Honda reimburses their dealers $40/day to encourage the use of courtesy cars (loaners). Honda will also be reimbursing dealers for depreciation of used vehicles, so in theory it should't affect your trade-in value - it didn't have any significant effect on my Ridgeline's trade-in value even though the dealer knew it may still be sitting there by the time the new Ridgelines begin arriving in the next several weeks.

#25 ·
When we picked up our loaner vehicle, Enterprise gave us what was available, which at that point was either a Ford Focus or Jeep Patriot. We took the Patriot, but went down to the airport Enterprise over the weekend, told them we wanted something a bit nicer since we'd be in it all summer, and the rep understood. We ended up in a 2016 Nissan Murano, pretty nice car with Nav and some decent tech. Never hurts to try!

#26 ·
Airbag recall

I received the recall notice for the airbags too. Honda dealer set me up quickly with a loaner from Avis. I have a 2009 CR-V. No problems here. Just hope the parts come in soon. Have been driving the Chevy Cruz for almost a month now. And the CR-V is in my garage getting quite a rest. Signed the waiver since they have no room for it on their lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.