Why no Diesel CRV in USA
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Diesel CRV in USA

crv|oc Rank: Member

Why no Diesel CRV in USA

How come you don't the Diesel DTEC like we do....................are diesels not popular in USA??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
    How come you don't the Diesel DTEC like we do....................are diesels not popular in USA??
    Diesel passenger vehicles aren't popular at all in the US; currently, they're less than 1% of the market share. The cost premium of a diesel engine here is anywhere from $1500 to $3000 per vehicle. That makes the payback period due to better fuel efficiency exceedingly long @ $2.75 per gallon or so. Also, the last time oil prices spiked, diesel prices were 25% higher than gas prices, effectively nullifying any advantage.

Lastly, the emission standards are pretty tough for diesels here. Honda was planning on bringing some into the market, but they ran into problems passing emissions so they dropped the plan.

We'll see what happens in the next few years now that the CAFE is scheduled to rise to ~35mpg.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Look at the performance data for the diesel versions vs. the gas versions of the same vehicle and you'll see why they aren't popular in the US. Most are around 10% slower when looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Yes they have tons of torque resulting in great low end and midrange performance, but for freeway merging and passing maneuvers, you still need HP. Diesels are great when accelerating briskly to 40-50mph, or when carrying heavy loads, but on hills at freeway speeds and accelerating over 50mph, you need power.

Europeans don't drive Diesels because they are better. They are heavier and more expensive. They drive them because diesel fuel is cheaper than petrol and gets better fuel economy. If diesel and petrol approached $6/gallon in the US, we would all be driving either hybrids or diesels too... and much smaller vehicles.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Look at the performance data for the diesel versions vs. the gas versions of the same vehicle and you'll see why they aren't popular in the US. Most are around 10% slower when looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Yes they have tons of torque resulting in great low end and midrange performance, but for freeway merging and passing maneuvers, you still need HP. Diesels are great when accelerating briskly to 40-50mph, or when carrying heavy loads, but on hills at freeway speeds and accelerating over 50mph, you need power.

Europeans don't drive Diesels because they are better. They are heavier and more expensive. They drive them because diesel fuel is cheaper than petrol and gets better fuel economy. If diesel and petrol approached $6/gallon in the US, we would all be driving either hybrids or diesels too... and much smaller vehicles.

Dead right. My CRV is my first diesel and despite the huge improvements in diesel they are not as good as petrol engines. I bought it (at a 2000 premium) because at 1.21 / litre for petrol and diesel it has become a necessity. In real life motoring (rather than one off motorway measures of a particular journey) I'll probably average 38-40mpg in the diesel vs 30-32mpg in the petrol. By the way our 'Imperial' gallons are 4.54 litres vs the American gallon at 3.8 litres so knock about 17% off these numbers for the US equivalent.

If you go back 10 years or more, diesel was ALOT cheaper that petrol and there wasn't many diesel cars about in the UK.
    Now there are loads of diesels on the road and the price for diesel is a few pennies higher than petrol, hmmmmm. love the politicians

Quote Originally Posted by rubberscrubber View Post
    If you go back 10 years or more, diesel was ALOT cheaper that petrol and there wasn't many diesel cars about in the UK.
    Now there are loads of diesels on the road and the price for diesel is a few pennies higher than petrol, hmmmmm. love the politicians
    Some of the price difference is tax laws. But a lot of it is supply and demand. With some many diesels on the road now, the demand for diesel has increased and so the price has followed. When diesel exceeds a certain ratio of the petroleum products refined, to meet demand, diesel fuel is produced with more expensive methods. Also, the new emission requirements for diesel mena that it must be low in sulfur. Further incresing refining costs.
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

I wish Honda was making a diesel powered CRv or Pilot. I own a 09 VW Jetta it does have a turbo, so performance is no problem, it averages 41 mpg highway and about 33 mpg in town.

Car & Driver did a test I think last year of a European Diesel model. they weren't terribly impressed. It performed as well as the gasoline version.. but that was with a 6 speed manual not an automatic. It also revved very well (for a Diesel) which normally have very narrow powerbands but ther was a LOT of turbolag. Worst of all, it was very noisy. Much noisier than the VW Diesel. Plus the extra $1500 could take $50,000 miles or more to recover in fuel savings. I think probably more than that since Diesel prices have been running quite a bit more than gasoline.

I looked at a Jetta TDI Sportwagen, but was disapponted that it cost almost as much as the model with the 2.0T, but was somewhat stripped down in term of features. The interior matierals and upholstery seemed pretty cheap just like on the Tiguan. And the interior felt as cramped as my '03 Corolla. It's a car I would have liked 10 years ago. But with a family on long trips, its' nice to have a little more space.

as a final note... on VW TDI reviews, they mentioned not enough heat in the winter. That won't cut it in Iowa and most of the northern US. I'm sure it's something you can live with. I suspect the heavier CR-V wold have less of a problem.

I can get 27-29mpg in my CR-V. Sure getting around 35mpg would be nice along with another 100 miles in range. But not $1500 nice.
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
    Lastly, the emission standards are pretty tough for diesels here. Honda was planning on bringing some into the market, but they ran into problems passing emissions so they dropped the plan.
    The other problem there is they can spend a lot of money getting their engines just that little bit cleaner to make them pass and then spend a ton of money advertising them and getting the word out about them only to have the emission standards changed to where they can't meet them again. So all that money would be spent to be able to offer diesels for a few years.

-Trevor
    http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/crv.html

If they were here they would sell. Our emission standards are high for passenger cars with diesels but they let the big trucks get away with murder! H

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements