2011 SE vs EX
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 SE vs EX

crv|oc Rank: Member

2011 SE vs EX

Hey everyone, new member and CR-V prospective buyer.

I'm trying to decide between a 2WD SE or EX.

I'm noticing the only real differences being the dual cargo shelf, moon roof, and maybe the wheels on the two.

Anything else I'd be missing from the EX if I stepped down to the SE??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/c...ModelName=CR-V

you can go there and compare them side buy side (assuming ur from the USA) I'm sure the Canadian CRV site has the same capability!

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I also waffled between getting the SE vs. EX. In addition to what you correctly listed (moon roof, different wheels, cargo shelf), the EX also has a security system, a compass, outside air temp gauge, and variable-speed intermittent wipers. There are also minor trim differences. The EX has a chrome garnish (bar over rear license plate) and chrome grill trim. These parts are all black on the SE. The EX has silver painted trim on the steering wheel; the SE is all black. SE also does not have vanity mirror lights.

I finally decided to buy a SE for the following reasons. One, I don't need a moonroof. Two, I actually prefer the simpler looking alloy wheels of the SE (I'm a minimalist); the EX wheels look like they would be harder to clean. Three, I think the extra chrome trim is little too "blingy." Most importantly, the SE was $1500 less than the EX. It would be nice to have the EX's security system, but you can get a better aftermarket alarm for $2-300 (I recommend Viper); the OEM alarm doesn't have a shock sensor. You can find the rear cargo shelf on eBay. I personally went with a retractable rear cargo cover ($210). You can also add the intermittent wiper stalk from the EX yourself.

I think the SE is a really good buy and definately worth the relatively small price increase ($700) over the base model LX. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kontai69; 01-19-2011 at 03:10 PM.

kontai69 said it nicely and very detail about the differences. Me too didn't need the moonroof and thought it would be weaker in terms of structural strength since there is a hole on top. With the SE I enjoy pretty much all the nice features of the EX and don't need to worry about an expensive moonroof repair cost if that happened down the road. You would be very happy if you want to save some $$.

Before I purchased my V, I went to Los angeles auto show and compared many similar cuvs such as RAV4, Tiguan, Terrain, Rogue, Equinox, Tribute, Tucson and so on. I concluded that the V is the best all around for me.

1. Doors that open almost 90 degree out (the rear doors do).
    2. Doors that have good storage spaces both at front and rear.
    3. Tailgate door that doesn't make you walk around like the RAV4 and you can use it as a sun shade or rain shield.
    4. 40/20/40 split rear seats instead of 60/40 for maximum versatility.
    5. Rear seats tumble up so you don't rub against the back fabric when loading items and you can remove them completely!!! Fold down flat seats are harder to remove (if at all).
    6. Rear seats recline with just a finger pull, easy, and they are quiet.
    7. There is no center console so you can put your shopping bags/purse just next to it, OR get an aftermarket console storage box from ebay if you wish.
    8. Storage spaces under passenger seat, under gear shift, and near steering wheel.
    9. Foot brake - yes, let your foot do the work!!!
    10. It's Honda - reliable and safe! Also got the color I wanted with VIN # J - woohoo!

I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 SE. Could you tell me about the lack of security system. Does this mean that there is no remote to lock and unlock the doors? I ask because unlocking a car door with a key in the dark is no fun.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by SaratogaCRV View Post
    Could you tell me about the lack of security system. Does this mean that there is no remote to lock and unlock the doors? I ask because unlocking a car door with a key in the dark is no fun.
    All CR-V trim levels (including the SE) have a remote entry system (i.e. remote built into key fob with buttons that unlocks/locks doors and tailgate). They also all come with an immobilizer system (i.e. chipped key that prevents easy "hot-wiring" to steal car).

The CR-V's security system (not included in LX and SE trims) is just a very basic alarm, to my knowledge. It will blast the horn and flash the lights when someone tries to open a locked door/hood/tailgate.

The strange thing is that all CR-V's have a "Panic" button on the key fob which will blast the horn/blink the lights when pressed. Therefore, CR-V's that lack the security system are in essense already "prewired" for an alarm. I've wondered if there is a way to "activate" the security system in my SE (e.g. plug in a small module or something).

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post
    All CR-V trim levels (including the SE) have a remote entry system (i.e. remote built into key fob with buttons that unlocks/locks doors and tailgate). They also all come with an immobilizer system (i.e. chipped key that prevents easy "hot-wiring" to steal car).

The CR-V's security system (not included in LX and SE trims) is just a very basic alarm, to my knowledge. It will blast the horn and flash the lights when someone tries to open a locked door/hood/tailgate.

The strange thing is that all CR-V's have a "Panic" button on the key fob which will blast the horn/blink the lights when pressed. Therefore, CR-V's that lack the security system are in essense already "prewired" for an alarm. I've wondered if there is a way to "activate" the security system in my SE (e.g. plug in a small module or something).

You can install an aftermarket alarm but there is not a "plug in" module from Honda that will give you a security system.

They may have the panic alarm.....But they are not prewired for a security system.

We decided to go with the EX for the sole reason the interior cloth in the SE looked very cheap. The other perks left us leaning towards the cheaper SE, but once we got inside my wife and I looked at each other and said no way.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    [QUOTE=MJack;87861]Before I purchased my V, I went to Los angeles auto show and compared many similar cuvs such as RAV4, Tiguan, Terrain, Rogue, Equinox, Tribute, Tucson and so on. I concluded that the V is the best all around for me.

I only compared the 2010 Terrain SLE-2 and the 2010 CR-V EX-L. My wife preferred the Terrain and I was leaning towards the Terrain until I got the prices. Both were within a couple of hundred dollars. I was able to trade my 08 Accord for the CR-V several thousand less than the Terrain. The Terrain is nice, but not at that price!!
    25 Year Honda Owner
    My Other Ride Is A Ridgeline

Thanks for comments everyone, I think we're leaning towards the SE, as the price is right.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements