How well does the Gen 4's AWD handel in snow?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How well does the Gen 4's AWD handel in snow?

crv|oc Rank: Member

How well does the Gen 4's AWD handel in snow?

I am from southern California, so I don't have any snow to test it with.
    I will be making a few snowboarding trip begining end of Janurary, and I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself in front of my friends when I hop on the first pile of snow/ice I see.
    For those who tried it with your new Gen 4 w/ AWD. How well does it handel?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

My car is Honda CRV 2012 AWD just bought last 15 Dec 2011 ( 622mi to date). We had experienced 2 days heavy snow and Icy roads couple days ago here in Western Pennsylvania. My son's Pre-school school is located on elevated stiff hills and was covered with mixed snow and ice 4inches. It was early in the morning and obviously never been plowed. Of course every cars are having difficulty in climbing the hill even the the Subaru (Tribeca and Forester) upfront of me. The amazing things that i observed with the New 2012 Honda CRV AWD was when you are on stop half way of the uphill awaiting the cars infront of you to move forward, the hill assist features activated the realtime AWD instantly and no more skidding first the front wheel in order to activate the rear at the same time helping you to climbed up and moving forward the hill flawlessly. On the flat icy/snowy surface was so good too. the rear wheel instantly activated when front wheel lost a bit tractions while driving on minimum speed- no more few front wheel spin before AWD activated (obviously don't expect me to drive fast on this bad weather). The very interesting part was I felt like AWD always activated on the very first acceleration then switching to fwd when reaching a certain speed (my assumption only)- no skidding front wheel on 1st acceleration that the FWD cars commonly experienced. Right now still enjoying my 2012 Honda CRV AWD on snow as my commute car.

Hopes may help this observation i got.

Thanks for your detail update. Looking forward to bringing it for my trip.

The 2012 doesn't have the same AWD as the older ones. Every time you accelerate some power goes to the back wheels. Then once you are cruising, all the power goes to the front for better mileage. So no slipping before the AWD kicks in.

Up here in Alaska I love my 2012 AWD and my 2011 Pilot AWD.

We took it out in our last storm and I was very pleased with how it handled on our roads.
    Proud owner of the:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX
    2009 Honda Fit Sport
    2012 Honda Lawn mower

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements