Decision time for 2012 CR-V purchase need input
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decision time for 2012 CR-V purchase need input

crv|oc Rank: Member

Decision time for 2012 CR-V purchase need input

Looking for input from new owners/previous owners.

I'm currently deciding whether I want to go with the LX with upgraded alloy rims (extra $1000) and AWD or just go with the EX 2wd. Unfortunately EX 4wd is getting beyond my already blown budget.

My question is do users find it worth the extra $$$ and slight decrease in gas mileage to go with the AWD? Part of me thinks a 2WD with snow tires will be just as good. Going with the 2WD EX will end up being almost the same price as an LX AWD with the upgraded rims. More features on the EX and slightly better fuel versus getting AWD

Or maybe I should even just go LX 2WD with upgraded rims???

Decisions decisions decisions!!!

Thanks and looking forward to everyones feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Depends on how you drive. In my case, in 9 years of driving my 2003 CRV EX the rear drive only came on twice - once in snow and once on a rough dirt road in the Adirondacks.

With good all season radials I think most people would be fine with the FWD. If you're pulling a trailer, though, I'd recommend going for the AWD.

Why don't you buy new non-Honda alloy rims from Tire Rack - would look as nice and be a lot cheaper?

Good luck!
    JonW
    2012 CRV EX AWD, previously 2003 CRV EX AWD

Thanks JonW I appreciate the input.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    If you are in an area prone to snow. go for the AWD if for nothing else peace of mind. I live in the NE and bought the AWD while my Father is in NC bought the FWD. no need for AWD if snow is not an issue. Why put yourself out if it snows where you live and you will be driving in it!? If this is not the case; FWD for the better MPG rating. There has never been nor will be a FWD vehicle that can out perform AWD or 4WD in in climate weather; I don't care what kind of rubber you are going to put on the car.

Thanks Tuktanuk.

I do live up in Canada where snow is a factor certain times of the year. Our other ride is a 2WD Element and has never been an issue however. Snow is usually plowed very well up here on our roads and highways and there I could probably count on one hand how the days where I wished I REALLY wished I had AWD driving/handling.

I think after thinking it all through I would rather have the extra bells and whistles that come with the 2WD EX (sun roof, upgraded stereo, cargo cover, fog lights, heated mirrors etc) for about the same price as the AWD LX.

some more food for thought here but..... if you were planning on upgrading the rims for 1000.00 on the LX AWD, that would have pushed you into the EX FWD anyway..... IMHO 1000.00 spread out over 5 years to just go ahead and get the EX AWD is negatable @ around 6.00 and some change. Why not pony up the extra six bucks and go for the gusto and be REALLY happy!? Sorry for playing Devil's Advocate here but, I know I would be kicking myself in the rear if I knew it was just the difference of a few more dollars each month. Surely there must be someway to come up with 6.00 a month extra.

To confirm what is said above, when you go to sell your car, one with aftermarket rims might not sell as well as the EX. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by 11Molavi View Post
    To confirm what is said above, when you go to sell your car, one with aftermarket rims might not sell as well as the EX. Just saying.
    +1 there. Dealers hate stuff that is not factory. Does not matter how much better it is.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements