Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

October '08 - What Should I Pay For An '08 Now?

Tags
october pay
2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  davos 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I'm a current EOC member and an 8thGenCivic member looking to drop the '06 Civic Sedan EX MT and pick up a new '08 CRV EX RT-4WD (I'm keeping the Element forever). My wife wants a vehicle that handles better in the snow and it looks like the CRV is going to be her/our choice. I'd get another Element but we need the five person capacity of the CRV.
The dealer has a few '08s left with a $24,5xx sticker on them. The only accessory I want installed before delivery is fogs. Yeah I know how easy they are to install, but with winter coming and a busy schedule it's just going to be easier if I have them do it.

How much should they come down?

The '09 EX awd is only $25xxx and I would go that way but I'm interested in the 1.9% on the '08. Since I was qualified for 1.9% 3 years ago on the Element with AHFC I expect to get it this time too.

The only problem, for dealing, is we still owe $8500 on the Civic. I know that's going to hurt us, but we really need a bigger and safer (for winter) vehicle.

What can I expect for a price?

Thanks in advance.
Hope to be an owner soon (fingers crossed).
Jeff

See less See more
#3 ·
This is where I'm at.

I did this through email with the salesman that sold me my last two Hondas.
My first offer was for an '08 EX AWD-- $21,250 w/ fogs(uninstalled), mats, and cargo tray.
He responded "I'll have to pass on that offer".

At this point I told him what I was trading in and suggested he give me a great deal on the trade-in and, to me, it would look like the CR-V sold for $21,250.

He came back with their first offer... $22,775 no accessories and $14,000 for the trade-in.

"Sorry" I say and put out my second offer... $22,900 w/ accessories and $15,500 for the trade-in.

He replies "I know Civic's hold their value...but not that much. Maybe you should put an add in the paper and sell it on your own. I know the market is tough but we're still selling cars at FAIR market value. You paid $19,600 for the car almost 3 years ago!! We've always treated you fairly and I'm not holding $1500 back. This is a 2008 CRV EX AWD, silver/black.
Accessories are: Fog Light Kit $350
All Season Mats $160
Rear Cargo Tray $120
I may be able to get you another $100 or $150...but not $1500"

I then made my last offer $23,000 w/ accessories and $15,000 for the trade-in.

He responded something about that being too much for them.

So I sent one more email stating how much I appreciated the time he put into this but it just wasn't going to work.

About 30 minutes later he responds with "Final offer is $23126 CRV with accessories and $14500 trade!!"

I turned it down.
I'm not sure that was the best thing to do.
We'll see.
Really they only put out two offers. And in my opinion the '08s should be selling for less right now. Plus I want what my trade is worth.

That was last night. He was out of the office today. We'll see what happens tomorrow. My guess is that it's over and they won't give me what I want.

#4 ·
Try to get some more quotes e.g. thru edmunds.com
I have found that getting them on Honda web side they tend to be higher.
When I was buying mine back in January salesman who claimed that they are selling them straight from delivery truck all the sudden were going down the price when I said I have a better offer.
Right now times are tough for car sales and they should be willing to negotiate good deal for you not for them.
I would check how much your Civic is worth somewhere else (even at CarMax) and only then negotiate trade-in after negotiating price for CRV. Dealers are in business to make money and I don't have any problem with that, just even a $100 left in my is better than in theirs (at least for me).
I know that our members have been buying CRVs at invoice prices lately, and I don't see why you should not be able to do the same.
Invoice is $22,457 + $670 destination $23,127 total
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/honda/crv/100933618/optionsresults.html?action=2
So if $23,126 with accessories and destination would be good deal - but that doesn't mean that you can not get better one somewhere else.
Good luck

#5 ·
I went to two other Honda dealers and a Toyota dealer (looked at the Rav 4) and realized the original offer was pretty good. Toyota started out offering $10,500 for the trade-in and finished up at $12,500. Obviously that wasn't good enough. One of the Honda dealers said he couldn't even come close to what they offered and suggested "If I really had that kind of offer I should take it!". It sure is embarrassing to return to a dealer and ask them to give you the deal they offered 5 days early. I did though. They were going to drop my trade-in value because of a new lease/finance offer on the '09 Civics. They didn't.
So... '08 CRV EX RT-4WD w/ fogs, all-season mats, and cargo tray $23,126. $14,500 for the '06 Civic EX Sedan trade-in.
With no dealer cash from Honda in sight and '08 CRVs going quick off the local dealer's lots. I decided to pull the trigger on this one before I got stuck with an undesirable color combination.
I'll post pics in the introductions area soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.