Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Debating between CRV 2015 and Outback 2015

30K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  GsCRV 
#1 ·
I'm debating between the 2, I tow a boat which is around 1500# on a weekly basis, I currently tow with my golf GTI and I have awesome fuel economy. I'm wondering if the CRV would be good for that, is the AWD system worth it for the boat launch or is it worthless?

I know the subaru AWD system is very good, but is the CRV AWD system going to be sufficient?

I live in Canada, so we have around 6-8 foot of snow, never used an AWD vehicule yet in the winter.

For anyone who had or tried both, which one is the most comfortable, road noise and is the roomier

I want to upgrade my Golf GTI, because we do road trip every now and then, we are usualy 3 adults and a baby and a second baby is on the way. I just do not have enough room.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
You are in a CRV forum, what do you think will be told? I love my CRV and heard the Subaru's burn oil. I don't know how well CRVs perform in hilly areas, but in flat Florida they do well. I also have a Santa Fe which would be better to pull a boat, but the fuel economy is not as good.

#3 ·
I too am trying to decide between the 2015 CRV Touring (haven't seen in person yet) and the 2015 OB Limited. Both look impressive. I like the additional cargo space the longer OB provides, but I think I prefer the CRV's dash and instrumentaion layout. I have always driven Honda's because the reliability, but Subarau has a strong reputation as well. I am not going to come to any conclusions before I can test drive the CRV. However, if I lived in the Great White North and had towing requirements, I have to say I would be leaning toward the Outback.

#4 ·
Didn't I read on OB forums that they had issues with cabin noise and engine oil burning with the 2015s?
If it were my money, it would be Honda. Its probably second to none, and if I am to put money on a first year model (which I rarely do) I would go with Honda.

#5 ·
Never owned a Subaru but freinds just got the Crosstrek and they like it quite a bit. I've gone for a ride in it and it felt like a good solid ride, but that oil burning issue is a big turn off. Subaru won't do anything because according to them it's within the specs of the car. So if you don't mind adding oil more often than not, enjoy the Subaru...

#6 ·
I have owned 4 honda so far and my parents 10. Never had any single issue with them. I currently own a honda Accord and a VW GTI 2012, the vw GTI has been the worst car I have ever owned as far as reliability is concerned 4 time it had to be serviced under warranty. VW mechanics were top notch and everything went smoothly, great product but never had any issue with all my honda, just basic maintenance.

What I hesitate with the Honda CRV is the ground clearance and the AWD system. The main reason I want a SUV is to tow my boat in offroad and muddy area. I don't want to get stuck while trying to pull the boat out of the water.

What I heard is that the CRV AWD system is not very efficient in that regard in comparison to the subaru. I know that the honda will be more reliable, but I'm just not sure about the AWD system, haven't found much information about how it work while pulling a boat.

As far as HP, I don't think it will be an issue, at least I will have less ticket with it thant the GTI, too much HP is dangerous for the wallet.

#25 ·
What I hesitate with the Honda CRV is the ground clearance and the AWD system. The main reason I want a SUV is to tow my boat in offroad and muddy area. I don't want to get stuck while trying to pull the boat out of the water.

What I heard is that the CRV AWD system is not very efficient in that regard in comparison to the subaru. I know that the honda will be more reliable, but I'm just not sure about the AWD system, haven't found much information about how it work while pulling a boat.
You may want to consider any previous generation CRV with hydraulic 4WD which reportedly performs better, especially in the snow, than the new 4th generation CRV electronic AWD.

#7 ·
Honda AWD are great and will do the trick for what you need, but I've heard Subaru's AWD system in legendary!

#8 ·
For what it is worth, between me and my wife, we have owned a 1999 Subaru Outback, a 2010 CR-V EX-L, a 2012 CR-V EX and a 2013 CR-V EX-L.
None of the CR-V's come close to the performance of the stock tires & AWD on the Outback. I loved winter driving in my Outback - it was amazing. CR-V out of the box winter handling is terrible by comparison - not even close to OB. BUT, I like everything else about the CR-V better than the OB.

#9 ·
I agree, the oil burning is starting to get old... I think it was more the lines of poor workmanship and poor quality assurance by the people who are in charge of making things within specification that were causing problems.. as far as I know the recent Subaru are less problematic or the engine have been redesign.

Lets first get things set... going from a FWD sedan to a AWD Suv will tank your fuel economy. They sit higher and have more wind resistance so it isn't going to be like a sedan.. The trade off is more room and more storage space. Towing will hurt it even more.

I say, you can't go wrong with either one, CRV or Outback.. although I drove the forester instead of the outback here is my impression on the Subaru:

1. It is extremely easy to drive, there is a lot of open glass for people to look outside and around when driving.. Downside is you looking out, people can look back in
2. The handling was very good. There isn't to much body roll vs the CRV, but I don't think the AWD system has anything to do with it rather it was just the way the suspension setup as well as weight distribution.
3. It was quieter in the Forester vs the CRV

The outback will have very similar dimensions to the CRV interior wise, although I think the Outback is longer then the CRV, I don't think you live in NY or San Fransisco which every inch of space saved is important.

I think what is important when it comes down to what you need are tires... Everyone brags how good a system they have, but they never disclose "tested with winter tires, or tested with off road tires".

We all know what all season tires can do to any car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_gseK09_pU

The thing the outback wins at is ground clearance. It has a higher ground clearance if you need to go through some very deep stuff.. although I doubt you will do it while towing a boat... The boat will probably bottom out while towing in deep stuff anyways.

As for boat ramps, how are the places you are going to launch and retrieve your boat? Are they going to be slippery on the sand or does it actually have a concrete ramp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDKU7NFAu8 - RWD 4Runner failing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5rF54lEZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RsRhw2O2FI
... Prius can do it.... on cemented docks

By the way, Subaru and Honda CRV are now power split 50/50.. Subaru full time vs Honda on demand. Traction control and tires make up the rest of it.. Jeep Cherokee can do 40/60 as far as I know.. but its a Jeep.. expensive and .. (end sentence)

Just test drive both, remember tires are your best friend and if you plan to tow your boat.. make sure your boat can make it to its location without having your vehicle dragging and scrapping something.

Here is someone with the CRV in snow. It did bottom out a few times and on really steep slope in the snow it did take a few attempts to get up it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6O85Bm62Cw

#11 ·
I agree, the oil burning is starting to get old... I think it was more the lines of poor workmanship and poor quality assurance by the people who are in charge of making things within specification that were causing problems.. as far as I know the recent Subaru are less problematic or the engine have been redesign.
It's true that the engine for 2015 has been redesigned but at least one person has reported excessive oil consumption:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/poll-850-a.html

It's just one person but the 2015 hasn't been out long enough to see if the problem has really been fixed. There are also reports of 2015 2.5i Foresters consuming oil. Given my personal experience I would be hesitant to buy another Subaru with the FB25 engine.

We own a 2013 CR-V and a 2013 Outback (that is consuming oil). Obviously, I can't compare to MY 2015 since I haven't driven either one. Regarding 2013, they are very different vehicles and and drive very differently. The differences will be very obvious during a test drive.

If I were the OP, I would consider the turbo Forester (no oil burning). I almost bought one but the driver's seat was too uncomfortable.

#10 ·
The 2015 Honda has a new engine and new transmission, with more low end torque. I wouldn't even consider towing anything with my 2013 CRV, it can't get out of it's own way despite the 1500 pound towing claim (gimme a break, Honda!), but I'd gladly test drive a 2015. The Ford Escape with towing package has a long ton of torque. I bought the Honda instead, just because it had more room inside.

#47 ·
I wouldn't even consider towing anything with my 2013 CRV, it can't get out of it's own way despite the 1500 pound towing claim (gimme a break, Honda!).
I agree tmcgee!

I tow a trailer & golf cart 20 odd kms with my 2013 CRV and use S mode to keep it in 4th gear at the most as 5th in D mode is just punishing the car too much.
Honda would do well to consider a more powerful engine plus a return to MT for those of us who tow items.

People seem to be obsessed with AT's in the SUV range for City driving, but when it comes to off road or towing they are found to be wanting.

#12 ·
The towing may be an issue with any inclines or downhills. I have a 10' Triton (14+' long) and when it get over 1,000 pounds of payload the CR-V gets a little sluggish on the prairies. When I take it to a hilly area with the same load in the trailer it is ugly. The trailer itself is just >500 lbs with the full side kit & spare etc.

That is one reason I was hoping for select shift or paddle shifters so you could hold the V in the right gear.

#13 ·
Subaru AWD systems are more superior for sure and the 2015 comes with the X mode which is supposed be awesome.
That being said the CRV should handle towing needs and do quite well in mud and snow ... some of us have taken our CRVs off the road and it does fairly well. Look at the section in the forum "off the beaten path" and there are off road videos. If it is just mud and snow I would not worry.
Stock tires are not so good and might pose some limitations ! Regarding ground clearance - the gen 4 has 6.6 which I personally thing is bad !! Gen 3 had 7.3. Subaru OB has 8.7 I believe.

#14 ·
I've towed a 1500 lb pop-up camper through Fundy Park which is very hilly and the 2012 crv was fine, except for the really steep hills it was surprisingly strong and handled well. As for the awd I was very disappointed, first time in deep snow I got stuck. It was a mix of hail and snow and even some 4wd trucks got stuck, but I was left unimpressed and got a good lessen on awd limitations. If towing on muddy slopes I'd be very concerned on the crv capabilities.

#15 ·
As for the awd I was very disappointed, first time in deep snow I got stuck. It was a mix of hail and snow and even some 4wd trucks got stuck, but I was left unimpressed and got a good lessen on awd limitations.
Why would you be disappointed if even 4wd trucks got stuck mike ?

I'm very impressed what a CRV can do with winter tires. I can take off from an intersection in a snow storm, and look back in my rearview mirror at all the vehicles slipping & sliding, just trying to get going.

I've NEVER been stuck in any of my AWD Honda's, and I've pushed them past their limit, including towing way over the limit. :cool:

#17 ·
I'll just add one comment on my 14' V. This past winter I took it into an UNPLOWED parking lot without realizing how deep the snow was. It also had a glazing of ice over it if I remeber correctly. Well, I soon realized the snow was well over 12" deep and I drug/plowed with all the "skidplates" on my V the entire time and it pulled through it and I did not get stuck.

That REALLY impressed me. I'm sure the Subaru is equally impressive or more, but how much more do you need in an AWD vehcile that's not intended for off road use?

#19 · (Edited)
i too am looking at the subaru offerings vs crv 15

subaru does have a superior awd system but for what i need the cdv will be more than adequate

you can get the power lift gate on several levels of the subaru BUT only on the cdv touring (yuck have to spend all that extra to get it--my wife requires a power lift gate)

oil burning issue was fixed before the subaru 15 came out something about the rings

it wouldn't be an issue for me since i change oil every 5k miles.

i also check my oil levels frequently--hey its not hard to do

the big issue for me with the subaru and crv is the connectivity of iPhone

subaru is lacking BUT you can always buy an after market unit

if my wife drives both and likes the subaru then i will upgrade her stereo

i shouldn't have to buy the top level to get power liftgate

but the forester and the outback are awesome we were impressed that engine transmission combo works great for on ramps

can't wait to test the touring

the outward visibility of the subaru is outstanding the outback dash is very appealing

the second seat is awesome in the subaru same as the crv

it will be the ride and features namely lane watch and connectivity which has put at least in my mind cdv above the subaru---but its my wife's choice can't really go wrong

if any of you get a chance to get nitrogen in your tires DO IT for so many reasons the honda dealer near me does it "free" for new cars

here we are on a crv user board the the auto correct keeps making crv CDV hey moderators update your auto correct and auto spelling can you put crv in the approved word list and what is a cdv anyway??

#20 ·
I am also debating between the CR-V and Outback and here is my take. As far as looks, both are pretty equal. Ground clearance goes to the OB, Engine goes to Honda, Fuel capacity goes to OB, AWD systems seem equal but everyone raves about the Subaru system. The interior is in the eyes of the beholder but I think the Honda with the sliding console and overall looks seem nicer to me. Rear parking sensors available as a genuine Honda accessory on the cr-v but not on the OB although I think an aftermarket system would be just as good. Now here is where I think the difference is. The OB has a full Blind spot monitoring system with Rear cross detection along with the rear camera. The Honda has the rear caera and also a camera mounted in the passenger mirror that activates when the turn signal is activated or can also be manually activated but only on the passenger side - the blind spot mirror is simply a larger drivers outside mirror - doesn't seem adequeate. Now an aftermarket blind spot system can be added but I don't know where the sensors and indicators would be located. I have driven with BLIS for more than 3 years now and I consider it a necessity due to the huge blind spots on today's vehicles. If either one had vented seats, I think that would be the deciding factor for me. In the end, it depends on what is important to you.

#21 ·
To fairly compare the two, you really need to test drive. I haven't been able to see the 2015 CR-V yet, but I have tested the 2015 Outback a couple of times. I liked the OB a lot, but am a little concerned about the build quality. The interior was nice, but at the same time some things seemed of lesser quality than even my '07 V (Sunvisors, sunglass holder, plastic handles above door, etc). These models have been out long enough to get good feed back on their forum (www.subaruoutback.org), which is excellent by the way. You can find numerous threads on some quality control issues.
Also, their unique collision mitigation system defaults to on each time the car is restarted. I believe the new V stays on whatever mode you last had it on from what I can tell, which is what I would prefer.
Again, the Outback is a strong contender, especially if ground clearance and AWD are important factors. And I love the push button unlock feature on the rear hatch. It's worth a look to judge the quality of build for yourself though.

#22 ·
To fairly compare the two, you really need to test drive. I haven't been able to see the 2015 CR-V yet, but I have tested the 2015 Outback a couple of times. I liked the OB a lot, but am a little concerned about the build quality. The interior was nice, but at the same time some things seemed of lesser quality than even my '07 V (Sunvisors, sunglass holder, plastic handles above door, etc). These models have been out long enough to get good feed back on their forum (www.subaruoutback.org), which is excellent by the way. You can find numerous threads on some quality control issues.
Also, their unique collision mitigation system defaults to on each time the car is restarted. I believe the new V stays on whatever mode you last had it on from what I can tell, which is what I would prefer.
Again, the Outback is a strong contender, especially if ground clearance and AWD are important factors. And I love the push button unlock feature on the rear hatch. It's worth a look to judge the quality of build for yourself though.

Are you sure about this? For me it eliminates the OB, I'm not paying all that money to be constantly annoyed.

#23 ·
Yes, I have confirmed this in the online manual. The Lane Keeping Assist System works the same way. They are both part of the Subaru Eyesight system, which seems good for what it is. However, if you didn't want it on all the time it could get old, turning it off every time you get in the car. To be clear, the Eyesight system, which includes collision mitigation, lane keeping detection and adaptive cruise is an option (not standard).

#27 · (Edited)
goatee did a great summary

my wife really likes the OB dash and sitting position BUT i can't get a silver/ light colored interior except on the blue and white
she wants silver so the forester stands out
cdv may have a TOO BUSY dash the touch screen for everything may be a distraction will have to show to her the buttons on the cdv to change screens and functions ARE TOO DAMN SMALL
reminds me of MS word tiny icons all over the place

you shouldn't have to take your eyes off the road to view radio
my odyssey has BIG main buttons

and to use crv iPhone apps requires you to plug BOTH an hdmi cable AND power cable

who does that for quick moves around town

i need to look closer at the forester interface with iPhone---i could install after market carplay

honda does have a siri button thats nice

honda does have memory seats

BUT power lift gate ONLY ON THE MOST EXPENSIVE MODEL BLOWS

also the rear gate hits me in the head (I'm 6') the forester doesn't

will have to drive side by side

when ever i type in crv it changes to cdv what's cdv anyway

#28 ·
#30 · (Edited)
Really an apples vs oranges comparison if you ask me. Not that there is anything wrong with making the comparison, but the Outback is a different class of vehicle from the CR-V. The closest Honda has to an Outback would be the Crosstour, but that still isn't the same. (And if it were between the Crosstour and the Outback I'd say Outback 100% wins that comparison!)

AutoBlog has a review up of the 2015 Outback:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/22/2015-subaru-outback-review/

They still don't have a full review of the 2015 CR-V (just their first drive review of the Touring model only).

#31 ·
Well, I just cancelled my Subaru order. I ordered a Outback LTD, 2.5L w/eyesight 3 months ago, and it still hasn't arrived. I got super aggravated with the dealership, and it's poor service (definitely not Toyota, Honda or premium brand level of dealership service). In the end I did not want to give a 35,000 purchase to this kind of entity. One other thing to consider - There seems to be build quality issues that have disappointed the most ardent of Subaru fans on the Subaruoutback.org forum. Join and you can read about them. I think they have had a lot more demand than they expected, are doing more advertising in areas where Subarus had not been popular, so now they are having growing pains, and Quality Control has taken a big hit. I am not recommending against the Outback in general but maybe wait until they can fix the first year bugs and assembly line build issues first. I assumed because of the massive owner loyalty that Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries), being a Japanese company was similar to Honda and Toyota. It's not. Now, I too am looking for a alternative, and thinking about the 2015 CRV - but am worried the AWD system is just not effective. It's frustrating, because Honda has a Much Better AWD system used on Acuras, I think called Super Handling AWControl. Then AWD would not be an issue.

#32 ·
i'd do the same, even if i changed dealers i won't give my money to a bad dealer remember that's where you will get service
if still interested go to another dealer sad that this dealer poisoned the well forums are notorious for overblowing issues

my only reason for taking outback off my list is that no gray leather interior only black and cream

what happens if honda dealer sucks???

#33 ·
Actually, before giving the sale to this particular dealer I with visited or phoned 4 other dealerships. They tend to be smaller. But they are much less polished than Honda,Toyota or Land Rover for example. In my area, poor training, poor product knowledge, poor communication skills. So you really have to want the vehicle to overlook these areas.

As for the forum. It is great. So many people really in to Subarus. Real die hard fans, some with unbelievable stories. The 2015 is a departure from earlier generations with regard to more homogenous and mainstream styling as well as Subaru catching up on electronics.

There are a lot of new 2015 owners and more that are waiting for their cars. What is sad is to see the real excitement people had and then in the first few weeks noticing "issues". One guy in Michigan has had many. Another guy who came to Subaru from another brand has had 4 or so issues. One of the big ones seem to be panel seams (rear doors, hatch & hood).

I have to say I have purchased so many cars for family and friends, I am usually never phased by dealers. This was the singular, worst experience in decades. like car buying in the 80's or 90's.

If you can come to a price agreement, and the dealer is polite, efficient and communicative that's all you need. There are enough Honda dealerships around, I don't worry about finding one thats acceptable. All my family has owned Honda products in the past. I have had Honda's and Acura's. But not in some time.

The outback offers a real and efficient AWD system and a lot of value in terms of what you get. It's a value play. Honda and Toyota offer the best engineering, reliability, dealer integrity and resale. I think going to Nissan or Mazda products, you get a bit less of both worlds. So all the vehicles in this category is really comparing apples to walnuts, it seems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.