Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 Honda CR-V Touring AWD first week

62K views 101 replies 38 participants last post by  Dans15 
#1 · (Edited)
My wife's new job has 70 miles round trip daily, so we decide to get a slightly bigger car than the one we have right now - a SMART car! :cool:

So we started to look at a big range of cars: Accura RDX, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue...I did test drive of all and I like CX-5 the best, but my wife doesn't like Mazda as a BRAND...ughhh. She like the bird-view from Nissan Rogue but I feel that car is under-powered but that seems to be the best choice we had.

Until two weeks ago I read an article about 2015 CR-V is 2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year - most of things I don't like about 2014 CR-Vs are improved: less plastic in the cabin, less road noise, better suspension, projector headlight, Adaptive Cruse Control, etc.

The same night we went to a local Honda dealer and test drove a 2015 CR-V Touring AWD. I like the handling and suspension - it feels like a Mazda CX-5 to be honest, just less responsive.

A few days later we bought the 2015 CR-V Touring AWD. My wife drove it for a few days, then I got to drive it during the weekend to Connecticut.

What I like so far:
1. Handling in most cases, the steering wheel is on the heavy side, which I like - it feels much heavier than ML350, but similar to X3
2. the lane watch camera - very helpful during the day, the camera isn't so great at night...
3. Adaptive Cruse Control - didn't really get to try it on the highway because traffic was bad
4. suspension - not too stiff not too soft, feels like CX-5
5. Projector headlight - very bright at night

What I don't like so far:
1. Lack of power when I want acceleration (it maybe unfair because I used to drive a 280 hp car...)
2. Cornering on the highway (I had to step on brakes to corner more comfortably, but I feel this is common for SUVs)
3. BIGGEST PROBLEM - speakers are sooooooooooooo bad...OMG, Honda can you please give an option to upgrade this??

MPH is about 23 right now - we weren't driving in ECO mode and traffic was usually bad in NYC metro area.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Crossover suv
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Honda
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Bumper

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats. I think you're the first one on this forum to have one. Good color choice ;)

#4 · (Edited)
You worry about speakers?on your do not like list,how about the CRV trany and the engine
bucking and clatering when you press the gas pedal go to 4000rpm in neutral,and it gets really
much much worse if press the pedal to the floor,but it still will only go to 40000 .
Speakers in a small box,one of our realatives had the same ideas once.
Now he has two hearing aids, $5000 ,at 28 years old..

#8 ·
You worry about speakers?on our do not like list,how about the CRV trany and the engine
bucking and clateringwhen you press the gas pedal go to 4000rpm in neutral,and it gets really
much much worse if press the pedalto the floor,but it still will only go to 40000 .
Speakers in a small box,one of our realatives had the same ideas once.
Now he has two hearing aids, $5000 ,at 28 years old..
CVT is very smooth, I feel like driving a electronic car (I drove my friend's BMW prototype E based on 3 series), very similar acceleration - CR-V is just slower.

Yes CVT makes some annoying noise when it's reaching 4K RPM, but in reality, how often do you do that? At least in NY metro area, I rarely do that, only did once this weekend to test it out.

Better speaker doesn't mean high volumes and glass shattering bass. I like background music at home and in the car, volume was never high enough for us to raise voice to talk. :)

#9 ·
ok this may not be a fair comparison, I used to drive an infiniti G35 and now a Smart, I never feel the need to slow down to less than 70MPH when going over most curvse on highway, but I do feel that when driving CR-V. I remember when renting a Ford Escape I had to slow down a bit as well, so maybe a common thing for SUVs due to the higher ground clearance. Or maybe I haven't got used to the steering wheel yet?

#6 ·
OP if you get a chance, I think some here would be interested in seeing some night shots of the headlights and LEDs.

#10 ·
Makes sense that the higher the clearance of a vehicle the more careful you have to be around curves to prevent tipping or loss of control.

#19 ·
Thanks for posting. Like the LED strip. Is that on during the day as your DRL?

#26 ·
I will be very interested in what your mpg is. When the Accord went to the new powertrain the real world testing showed a 3 - 4 mpg improvement however the few reviews I have read that actually drove the new CRV and measured mpg said they saw zero change from the prior year. I find that hard to believe. The testers did qualify that they were driving early versions and the numbers might change. What are you seeing?

#27 ·
Hey my wife is driving it 3 days a week in and out NYC metro area, I saw the Avg. MPG is 25 last night, we have about 500 miles on it now. Avg. MPG has been growing from 19.8 to 25 in the past week, I will report the Avg. MPG again when it has 1000 miles.

#35 ·
Hi joyfit, I'm considering a 2015 CR-V as well. I've sat in almost all trim levels and really liked the leather on the steering wheel and seats (I'm not sure but it almost felt like the seat itself was more bolstered in the EX-L and Touring trims). Anyway, as an owner, do you have any information if the leather in the car is genuine, bonded, or synthetic? Perhaps there's info on the Owner's Manual. Thanks in advance for any help!

#41 ·
Congrats on the new CR-V. However for me in looking at the 2015 CR-V on Honda's website today, yes their Very Sharp & love the copper color, but why, why, why did they put in a cvt transmission? I hate cvt's, you feel like your riding the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear in a 5sp when your taking off, ugh! Maybe Honda's are better, but... Honda has made a bad blunder imo, all just to gain a few mpg's.

#44 ·
joy - VERY nice ride, I love the white color.

I bought my 14' CRV initially at the very end of December, 2013 and then got it's replacement from Honda (engine issue) in I believe April or early May 2014. The replacement has been good so far. I love some of the upgrades Honda released for the 15's. I'm glad you are enjoying yours.

I do like my 14' quite a lot, that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.