Is the CR-V 4WD, 2WD or AWD?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the CR-V 4WD, 2WD or AWD?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Is the CR-V 4WD, 2WD or AWD?

Sounds like a simple question..., but I can't find a straight answer anywhere!

I'm looking for a 4WD, and would love to go back to Honda, whom I've always had good luck with!

I'd like to find a front wheel drive vehicle that can switch to 4WD. Do they even make such a thing?

That brings me to the CR-V. After doing some research on it, it looks like the CR-V may be front wheel drive and be able to switch to all four!

However, I can't confirm it.

So do any of the 3 generations do this?

Are there any members here that have front wheel drive - that can switch to 4WD with the driver pressing a button or something?

PS: I'm not looking for full time all wheel drive. I think some CR-Vs are like this, or is it all of them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    The CR V is front wheel drive but if the front wheels loose grip the rear wheels go into action with the front wheels! It is actually Real Time All Wheel Drive. Hope this clears it up for you? Hal

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    The Cr-v is primarily front wheel drive, and in the even of a slip, the rear wheels engage making it 4wd when it's needed, but it's not selectable (which sounds like what you want)

The electronic engagement of 4wd by the driver, that you're talking about, is usually only available on RWD cars with larger engines, that engage a diff up front to the front wheels.

Super Moderator
    The Crv has been offered in two forms. FWD only or RT4wd.(Real Time 4 Wheel Drive).

Here is some good info on how the RT4WD works.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/rtawd.pdf

http://automobiles.honda.com/element...px?Feature=4wd

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Awesome guys... What a fast and direct response! That was exactly the info I was looking for!!

While I'm at it - has anyone any advice on which generation cr-v has been the least problematic, or best overall?

I'm buying out of pocket, which means I'm buying used - so I'd like to get one that will last awhile....

crv|oc Rank: Silver

One Additional Point

Yes the CR-V is FWD that can go into 4WD, but you can't force it into 4WD. There is no switch, button, or lever. It is purely a hydraulic system that applies power to the rear wheels when the front slip. If the front wheels are not slipping you are only in FWD. So while technically a 4WD vehicle it should not be confused with an off road 4WD that can be placed into 4WD and typically has a very low range for maximum traction. It ain't no CJ-5.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

The original 3 versions were all good, no big issues, you'll just have to decide what kind of power and room you want basically.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Purchase the newest you can afford.Hal

I'm particularly fond of the 2002 for some reason, I think I speak for everyone here, when I say it's the best one that ever happened

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    yep, four wheel drive not all wheel drive, i think honda uses this system in most of their 4wd vehicles, but i am not sure.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements