Sat Crap, I mean sat nav
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Crap, I mean sat nav

crv|oc Rank: Member

Sat Crap, I mean sat nav

Guys,

I have a top of the range CRV bought Oct 07. It has kick plates, full leather, sat nav the works. Its time to renew the car, but I have had such a bad time with the bluetooth voice activated rubbish and the sat nav that must be 5 years out of date which randomly picks roads for you to follow.

My girlfriend loves the car, I now want a diesel automatic and Im now forced to look at the VW tiguan or Audi Q5 for my next car.

I've spoken to Honda and asked why they use such a poor sat nav and bluetooth kit and they just agreed it isnt good. They did tell me if I bought a lower spec model the phone kit is better and they knew someone who could fit a clarion headset but I would have to pay an extra 1,500. This was quoted from Trident Honda Weybridge. The salesman I normally speak to and who sold this disappointing car to me was Johnathan Easy.

If they know the satnav is rubbish, why dont they do something about it. I cant be the first person to question it ?

On the last service they did a factory reset ??? and it made it almost un usable. It is total crap that when I go somewhere new I take a tomtom which costs me 110 than use my in built satnav.

If anyone wants a honda crv, 27,000 miles top of the range in back, black leather, let me know. Its yours !!!

Im off to buy a decent SUV with an inbuilt satnav I can actualy use and also to be able to use my fone in the car would be a dream.

Well lets hope honda go bust this year, cos thats what they deserve.

WEBS007

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Wow,

regarding the Sat - Nav. The latest incarnation seems not too bad for an in- car set-up. None of the in-car stuff is as good as a Tom Tom or a Garmin at a fraction of the price. I think it's because it's too complicated with the radio and the reversing camera all integrated in. Still the Honda unit seems better than the similar unit on the Gen 2. The SSD sat nav on the "T" model seems even better to me, shame it's not on the range topper in the UK.
    Having been in this position before we changed and having looked at the very same alternative cars you are contemplating I think you'll be disappointed as you'll pay more and not be much better off navigation wise. (or anything else come to that.)

Regarding the blue tooth thing - it's down to the phone makers. Every single car company has the same problem. Every single one will provide you with a list of "compatible phones" that are 2 years at least out of date. In fact there is a thriving trade in re-furb'd phones now mostly for this exact reason.

Take my tip and test drive each model carefully and check out all the features and functionality before you put down your cash. In particular check your phone pairing and then be prepared to keep that phone - if it works - for as long as you keep the car.

The sat nav on my 2010 Ex is excellent. i am used to the Garmin Nuvi 255w and the Honda is every bit as good and better in 2 ways:
    a) it does not take me on unmetalled tracks which the Garmin does and
    b) the alternative route finder when it recognises queues using the TP system is brilliant. It took me on a route of which I was highly doubtfu to avoid big queues on the M25 (I only followed it as I wanted to see what would happen) and saved me at least 30 minutes maybe longer

I have to say I like the sat nav on my 2010 V very much. I even like it better than my Garmin 760T. It has faster route calculation, and I like the fact that if there are 2 exits on the highway close to each other, it will say "take the 2nd exit". When the highway forks, it will split the screen and show you which lane to take in a kind of 3D topdown view. Oh, and when I turn on the icons for gas stations, the icons even show the company of the gas stations, so I know if I'm near a Shell or Esso or Petro Canada station. Very cool!

I have a crappy Nokia flip phone and the bluetooth works fine with it, and I have assigned voice commands to common numbers that I call and so far it hasn't misinterpreted my voice commands when I am tell it to call my house or my wife etc. When I want the bluetooth to pair with my wife's cell phone instead all I say is "Phone Status Next Phone" and it dutifully pairs with my wife's cell. Pairing with my phone is also instantaneous and happens as soon as I turn on the engine.

Maybe the older sat navs weren't as good but I love the 2010 sat nav on my V so much that I am tempted to put my Garmin on sale on ebay.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Seems they've updated the newer ones. Honestly if it is that big a deal there are plenty of aftermarket setups that'll be way less than what you were quoted. Easy to install yourself too. I'm kind of amazed that something like this would make someone want to go out and drop the coin on a new VW/Audi when there are a bazillion options out there to replace the factory unit with.

Alot cheaper than buying a new vehicle... especially when the 07 V is such a nice ride.

Keep in mind aftermarket navigation systems won't be able to voice control the climate control system ( on an EX-L ). May not be a big deal, but I personally like that feature - a lot. Rear view camera will not integrate as elegantly into the rear lift gate as well. Also discovered a new feature on the oem navigation, you can use the joystick to center the crosshair on any icon you set to show on screen ( like gas stations, ATM's etc. ) and once selected, it will guide you to it.

OTOH, aftermarket navigation systems with bluetooth will have RDS and will most likely show the caller ID of whoever calls you on your paired cell phone.

You win some you lose some I guess.
    Last edited by mike99992000; 05-09-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Aftermarket Nav Units?

Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket nav units? ... most of which come from China? The specs sound fantastic, but having hands on experience is the real test.
    Without wanting to break the rules on my first post by putting in a webpage, do a search on "7" HD DVD GPS Navigator For HONDA CRV 2007-2010" to see what I am referring to.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    There are about nintey bazillion audio forums out there if you Google. Crutchfield's reviews would be a good start.
    2002 Honda CR-V EX
    2001 Honda CR-V LX
    1995 Ford Cobra SVT

The Sat-Nav in my 2008 CRV is horrible. OK, I like some of the features, the screen splitting to show exits, the alternate routes feature, that sort of stuff. But what annoys me most is the unfriendly, pedantic search system. I mean, you have to type the name you're searching for so precisely ... want to find Barrett Middle School? Na-ah. Got to type "John Barrett Middle School". Need the local In & Out Burger place? Better type "In-n-out burger" or you won't find it (though you might find some other joint that's 3,500 miles away!). What makes it even worse is that you have to type what the system recognizes, which is often not what you'd expect. Yesterday, my wife (at home in California) had to call me (on business in New York) and ask me to go online and get Google directions for a school where our son was due to play soccer -- because the SatNav system couldn't find the school. Turns out that the school's name includes some middle initial that she didn't know about. Found it right away on Google, no problem -- but what a hassle for us both!

And don't get me started on Honda's outrageous pricing for Sat-Nav DVD updates! $180 or more? Can buy a brand new Garmin for less than that. In fact, I did buy a Garmin for my wife, for her Honda Fit, and it's great. And for an extra $99, we got lifetime map updates, issued every quarter. Are you listening Honda?

Why do Honda use a DVD system anyway? Why can't they use some storage method that is writable, as well as readable, and just update it directly from the satellite? Or via a flash card?

As it stands now, the SatNav is mostly useful just for its back-up camera (and I know I would not get that with the Garmin). But why don't Honda get someone like Garmin to supply built-in GPS systems (along with updates)? Honda don't build their own audio systems, so why should they build SatNav systems? Makes no sense (but if you're going to do it, at least be competitive in terms of price/features).
    Last edited by Baboy; 09-22-2010 at 01:25 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Your factory installed Sat Nav is not made by Honda. It is made by Alpine with map data from TeleAtlas. Garmin receivers while better still suffer from similar problems. It's not the Data that is at fault but the poor implementation of the search function. Garmin uses Navteq Data which is better than the TeleAtlas in the US. If you wanted Garmin in dash Kenwood after-market Sat Nav uses the Garmin receiver. The updates are still somewhat expensive though not like the Garmin handhelds. If you want an in dash Sat Nav that can be updated inexpensively the Rosin units might be a good choice and while they look promising I am not personally familiar with them.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements