Problem with fuse box 2008 Honda CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with fuse box 2008 Honda CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member

Problem with fuse box 2008 Honda CRV

Last night when I shut my car off my horn started blaring and I could not get it to stop. I had to pull the fuse from the fuse box under the dash. The next morning I could not get the car in gear. I had to put the fuse back in and then take it out after I put the car in gear. I could drive it but without a horn or brake lights. My Honda dealer says that the fuse box needs to be replaced as it short circuited. This will cost me an unbelievable $750.00! I am very annoyed. I have had 3 Hondas and have been a loyal customer because these things do not happen to Hondas. Apparently Honda is now purchasing their parts from the same place as the other car companies! Is anyone else having these problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I call BS. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. It's a fuse box, not a module. Unless the box actually melted, or is totally corroded, I can think of no reason to have to change the box out.

I'll have to check the manuals, to try to figure out the problem, but try just pulling the horn relay, instead of the fuse.

OK, after a quick peek at the owner's manual, the horn fuse is in the engine compartment fuse box, not the interior. The reason you couldn't get the shifter to work, is because the horn and brakes are on the same fuse. You have to step on the brake to shift and with the fuse pulled, the computer couldn't tell that the pedal was depressed. You can use the shift lock bypass to get around that problem.

I haven't found the horn relay yet, but will advise when I do.

Honda sure screwed this one up. They put the fuse under the hood and the relay under the dash. If that was all they did, it could be forgiven. It appears that the horn relay is integrated with the fuse box, making a simple relay swap impossible.

Hopefully Mook, or somebody else with experience, will chime in with some good news.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by karazy View Post
    I call BS. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. It's a fuse box, not a module. Unless the box actually melted, or is totally corroded, I can think of no reason to have to change the box out.

I'll have to check the manuals, to try to figure out the problem, but try just pulling the horn relay, instead of the fuse.
    If the problem is with the MICU (Multiplex Control Unit) the fuse box will have to be replaced. The Multiplex is built into the fuse box.

Nissan said the same thing about one of their fuse/relay boxes. They gave it a fancy name and said it had to be replaced, not repairable. I popped the cover off and found that it was easily repairable. It was just like any other box, except it was mounted upside down and not easy to get at for someone who didn't like touching anything electrical.

Hopefully it will be similar with the Honda one. I would definitely want to be darn sure that it was the problem and there is no other solution, before I shell out $750 for a stupid relay.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The OP made an identical post in another thread.

HERE

The under dash fuse panel can be had a bit cheaper.

The multiplex module is integral to the fuse box as Lizzurd posted.

Probably enough '07 and up wrecks out there that a used fuse panel would be available without too much problem locating one, and the price would be cheaper still.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by karazy View Post
    Nissan said the same thing about one of their fuse/relay boxes. They gave it a fancy name and said it had to be replaced, not repairable. I popped the cover off and found that it was easily repairable. It was just like any other box, except it was mounted upside down and not easy to get at for someone who didn't like touching anything electrical.

Hopefully it will be similar with the Honda one. I would definitely want to be darn sure that it was the problem and there is no other solution, before I shell out $750 for a stupid relay.
    If it is repairable Honda does not sell parts for it....An because they would be married to it if they tried to repair it an something happened ie the OP's CRV burns to the ground most if not all dealers would refuse to try to repair it.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements