2008 CRV EX AWD Experience driving in the snow
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 CRV EX AWD Experience driving in the snow

crv|oc Rank: Member

2008 CRV EX AWD Experience driving in the snow

Dear Honda,

I am a proud owner of a 2008 Honda CRV EX AWD and would like to share my driving experience in a snow storm. I live in Massachusetts (northern suburb of Boston) and yesterday, I was driving my CRV in the midst of the snow storm which had dumpped 11 inches of snow in Boston area. Due to heavy traffic grid lock on the main roads, I decided to take back roads. All the back roads were covered with at least 5 to 6 inches of powdery snow. I was scared, but let me tell you, this bad boy (CRV) was unbelievable in the snow. AWD, ABS breaking system, VSA all worked flawlessly keeping my car straight on the snow covered road. My CRV did not even skidded and inch. I am impressed with Honda's technology and surprised to find out that all those electronic safety features Honda puts into these CRVs worked, as Honda said they should. I used to own a Subaru 4 WD (older model) before and in the snow it used to skid a lot. But CRV was so stable in yesterday's snow storm, made me think that finally Honda made a perfect car for those who are living in snow belt.

My suggestion to everyone who lives in a snow belt, get a CRV with AWD and never have to worry about getting home in a snow storm. Believe me it is worth spending $1200.00 for an AWD.

Thank you Honda for a well built car which took me and my wife home safe and sound yesterday. Keep up the good work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I second that!

I was also driving in the same storm yesterday, but in the upstate NY area. My 2007 CRV EX-L AWD was awesome! I watched people skidding and sliding all over the roads but the CRV never flinched. I couldn't have made a better choice of vehicle.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Now that is what we like to hear. Honda's RT4WD System is quite effective while keeping things simple. The system leaves a CR-V as basically a FWD vehicle and does not supply torque to the rear wheels until it is required (front wheels begin to loose traction). When the system does engage the rear wheels, it only provides the torque/tractive effort necessary to overcome/reduce the front axle slip rate. A V will usually follow its front end and that is nothing but cool. It is far more predictable and stable than 4X4s that are primarily RWD and even full time 4WDs which sometimes go from oversteer to understeer and back again in the same corner.

I too like the system very much (can you tell), and I tax it routinely, winter and summer. I live on a steep (36% to 40%), twisty, dirt road and my V climbs it like a goat. Of course I have top end snow tires on it too.

Very glad you like your V. You are in good company.
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 12-14-2007 at 12:18 PM.

I couldn't agree more. My 07 CRV EX has handled the snowy and icy roads better than my last vehicle (Full size 4x4 pick up).

I was a little concerned how the CRV would handle northern Michigan winters, but so far, the Honda has performed flawlessly.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

I haven't had any experience...

with truly rotton weather, but I have driven in light snow that I would have been a little worried with my mini-van. It was like driving on a hot August afternoon.

About two weeks ago we had a bout of freezing rain. I have a very steep driveway. It was dark but the driveway looked fine. Drove right up it with no problem, opened the door and nearly fell on my keester from the ice on the driveway. I also have winter tires.

EDIT 12-16-07: Came home again last night and the driveway was visibly a sheet of ice. The Pearl went right up it with no evidence of slipping. I used extreme care when I got out of the car, this time. I could not stand on the sloped portion of the driveway.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 12-16-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Hap
    I have had my 08 for a couple of weeks now. Since I brought it home we have been dumped on here in NH with snow, sleet and slush. I am simply amazed at how this this critter handles. I even try to skid around at times and the thing doesn't miss a beat and keeps on going straight. It never even slips on my steep driveway where I always slide around. Forget about driving my Explorer- I would rather drive the CRV in any type of bad winter weather.

AWD in the snow you just go.

I was actually looking forward to some snow in Chicago this winter just to see how good my '07 CRV AWD would handle it. I was not disappointed, but instead very pleased and even amazed. With AWD in the snow, you just go.
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L 5AT - Whistler Silver Metallic

crv|oc Rank: Silver

It Is Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverV View Post
    I was actually looking forward to some snow in Chicago this winter just to see how good my '07 CRV AWD would handle it. I was not disappointed, but instead very pleased and even amazed. With AWD in the snow, you just go.
    So far, I have only driven on ice and light snow, but it is very hilly in Pittsburgh. The cars ahead of us fishtailed and were sliding sideways down the hill. We had to come to a dead stop on the hill. We started moving effortlessly where the other cars had been sliding. It's uncanny, you don't have to do anything special, just go. I am very impressed.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I picked my CRV last night and today snow storm hit Chicago.
    It handles OK, but it misses option to have a 4x4 engaged manually. I used to use this feature a lot in Explorer - you are driving in snow, put it on and don't have to worry that some quirks in software or hardware will make you finish in a ditch shiny side down

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    I picked my CRV last night and today snow storm hit Chicago.
    It handles OK, but it misses option to have a 4x4 engaged manually. I used to use this feature a lot in Explorer - you are driving in snow, put it on and don't have to worry that some quirks in software or hardware will make you finish in a ditch shiny side down
    I have always thought that NOT having to do anything was a big advantage. The RT4WD System does it for you. The system is there for you even when you DON'T anticipate needing it. It is simple and all hydromechanical. It also does something that only the more sophisticated "on demand" systems do and that is to provide torque to the rear wheels in proportion to the front wheel slip rate. It doesn't just lock the rear wheels into the drive line, it clutches them in only enough to keep the front wheel slip rate reasonable. This keeps a CR-V basically a FWD vehicle and keeps it going the way you point it a lot more reliably than most traditional 4X4s. Teamed with good snow tires, the CR-V is still unbeatable in snow (in its price range).

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements