Brake problems in a 2012 honda crv
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake problems in a 2012 honda crv

crv|oc Rank: Member

Brake problems in a 2012 honda crv

I toad my honda crv behind my motorhome and used a supplement braking system called blue ox patriot. When getting back from my trip I was told I need all new brakes,rotors etc at the tune of $5,000.00. Which i feel is outrageous. Honda is blaming blue ox for the damage even though i towed it using a 0 which means there was no braking pressure at all. I have read other threads where they have said the honda has braking problems. Has anyone had this kind of trouble? And how did you solve it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    1. Why did you take the car to the dealer after your trip? Did you suspect a brake problem? 2. Why do you have a supplemental braking system if you set it on "0", which you say provide no brakes (not being sarcastic; I'm not familiar with towing). 3. Not sure where you live, but $5,000 USD for brake pads, rotors, and I'm assuming fluid change is about 5-6X more than what my dealer would charge. Are they replacing the calipers, too? Anything else? 4. Have you researched for claims of similar problems with the same supplemental braking system?
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2006 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2004 Mazda3 Sport 2.3
    2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Don't waste time reading my motorcycling blog Tilted Horizons!

Okay from the beginning of my trip i was towing the crv. When I arrived in Louisanna I felt the right rear brake scraping so took it to a Honda dealer where they confirmed it was my brake. They didnt have any brake pads in stock but said I would make it back to CA. Okay. But I went to TX. First. Then the rear brake was really scraping so went to a Honda dealer there and found that the brake pad was missing on the right rear and the rotor had to be ground so they did that to both rear ones and then they found pins missing in the caliper and the parking brake caliper was missing pins. Everything got replaced under the warranty. I towed the car back to CA but drove two days in AZ And four days in san Dimas,Ca before arriving back to my place . I was on my way to see my daughter and felt knocking in the brake pedal when applying brakes so made an appointment at the Honda dealer there to get an oil change and have them ck the brakes. Today I heard back from my Ins co and they are not going to help me and Honda says its not their fault. I guess they seem to feel that the Blue Ox Patriot was applying pressure on the brakes the whole time I was towing so it burned everything, rotors,pads,boots brake oil etc. so Blue Ox has my unit to make sure they are not at fault but my gut feeling is they are going to say they are not at fault. So thats why I took it in. Sorry its such a long story, but I surely didn't get up one morning and say "Lets see how I can ruin a 9 month old car and cause this kind of damage so I can just spend money". NOT. Also why would the dealer in TX replace the damaged things under warranty and this one in CA wont. I just don't understand
    Last edited by onniebay; 11-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.

It sounds like you should remove the blue ox system, since you use it at the 0 setting anyway. Then go and get your brakes replaced. A full brake job should not cost $5000, even replacing calipers, rotors and pads.
    2013 CR-V EX-L AWD Alabaster Silver with Black interior

It sounds fairly obvious that the Blue Ox device was either defective, or was improperly installed or used, which was the cause of the brake issues. I wouldn't expect Honda to cover that under warranty. I'm still confused about the $5K cost and some of the missing details. Were the brakes fine before the Blue Ox thingamabob was installed? Who installed it? What did the TX dealer say caused the damage it discovered? Perhaps the TX dealer suspected the Blue Ox was at fault but wanted to cut you a break so it figured out a way to call it a warranty issue? In any event, good luck with everything -- I'd stay after Blue Ox, and speak with your regional Honda manager if necessary. Between the two, you shouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket if the problem wasn't your doing.
    Current Garage:
    2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    2006 Honda CR-V LX 2WD
    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    2004 Mazda3 Sport 2.3
    2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S

Don't waste time reading my motorcycling blog Tilted Horizons!

jcm
    I had a similar problem with a Brake Buddy. It apparently locked up and wore out the front rotors and pads of my toad. I had used it for 6 years before that without a problem It was either me - not setting it up right or it failed. I bought a Us Gear unit and have been extremely happy with it.

What is a "toad"?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dogparkguy View Post
    What is a "toad"?
    One of these:

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dogparkguy View Post
    What is a "toad"?
    A toad is another name for any vehicle towed behind an RV.

Onniebay, welcome to my world :-) I purchased a 2012 Honda CR-V from Santa Margarita Honda in Orange County CA approximately 10 months ago. The car has 9,400 miles on it and my wife drives it 7 miles/day to go between work and home. My brake rotors are completely warped already. When I drive at freeway speeds and step on the brake the car rattles like a 6.0 earthquake and the pedal bounces like a basketball. Took it to the dealer and they said that it's driving habits that are causing the rotors to overheat so it's wear and tear (at 9,400 miles and 10 months of age -?????). Keep in mind that my wife and I are almost 50 years old and do not drive the car like a Porsche or a Ferrari especailly with two younger kids in the car. This, as any common sense person should know, is not something that should be happening this early in the game. The dealer says that they will cover resurfacing of the rotors. Again, as everyone should know, resurfacing only thins the brake disc which makes it even more vulnerable to overheating and getting warped much quicker over time. They told me that if I want to pursue new rotors that I would have to contact Honda directly. After I spent $30,000 on their car they will not even pick up the phone for me...exquisite customer service...no? I call Honda and all the rep could tell me, after my rant, is that heat is causing the warping. Thanks a bunch Einstein...could not have figured that one out w/o you!!!!! The issue is why are the rotors melting away already at not even 10,000 miles??? Will never buy a Honda again. Period. Case closed. Good luck with your case.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements