Synthetic oil in my CR-V yes or no?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic oil in my CR-V yes or no?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Synthetic oil in my CR-V yes or no?

Hi All, My first post here. Honda recommends 5w-20 oil, their own oil only. I am a big believer in sythetic oil, specifically Mobil 1. I have been using Mobil 1 in all of my cars for years, race cars, street cars ect. It is really fabulous stuff. Should I use it or should I stick with conventional oil. Can I use a thicker than 5w-20 that is recommended say 5w -30 or 40 in a sythetic. I really don't see a problem, but then again I didn't see a problem using 10w-40 in a 96 Neon. This overpressured the oil passage into the head and blew the head gasket. Of course, this wasn't mentioned anywhere in any of the literature that came with the vehicle, or in any repair manuals. After 3 head gasket redesigns, they (Dodge) issued a TSB on it, Anyway, thanks for any and all responses. Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    I'm fairly confident that ANY manufacturer would recommend their "own" oil as a way to make more money. As long as you stay with the recommended viscosity for your CRV there is no reason that you can't put synthetic in. When my MMS came up for the first change I put in Penzoil Platinum (which I got free from a rebate) and will continue to do so until it stops running or we trade it in.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    The only caution I have ever heard concerning oil is about the oil weight in the K24A1 and K24Z1 engines (Gen 2, 2.5 & 3 CR-Vs). We have heard reports of heavier oil messing with the VTEC system which is powered by engine oil pressure (solenoid controlled but oil pressure powered). The general consensus was: 5W-20 recommended, 5W-30 tolerated in warmer climates, 5W-40 a big NO NO. Never heard of a problem with synthetics.

Gen I owners may have some comments about the B20B engine.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by 97bubba View Post
    Hi All, My first post here. Honda recommends 5w-20 oil, their own oil only. I am a big believer in sythetic oil, specifically Mobil 1. I have been using Mobil 1 in all of my cars for years, race cars, street cars ect. It is really fabulous stuff. Should I use it or should I stick with conventional oil. Can I use a thicker than 5w-20 that is recommended say 5w -30 or 40 in a sythetic. I really don't see a problem, but then again I didn't see a problem using 10w-40 in a 96 Neon. This overpressured the oil passage into the head and blew the head gasket. Of course, this wasn't mentioned anywhere in any of the literature that came with the vehicle, or in any repair manuals. After 3 head gasket redesigns, they (Dodge) issued a TSB on it, Anyway, thanks for any and all responses. Dave
    Welcome to the forum!

As the others have said, no problem but stick with the suggested viscosity ranges.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

neon head gasket

Dodge Neon has a long history of bolown head gaskets. Was going to buy one used for my daughter and talked to my mechanic. He warned me of the problem. Checked back with the dealer and they checked the history of that Neon with only 15,000 miles on it and sure enough it had the head gasket replaced alread. Mechanic said he has seen some that have had 3 or 4 replaced. Is a head bolt problem also and is a fix using the right procedure and new style bolts. I have used mobil 1 for years in my corvette and motorcycles and other vehicles with no problems. Love synthetic. Probably not the problem with the neon.

The viscosity of the oil was what was blowing the gaskets in my case in the neon. It was dumping oil in the coolant, but not coolant in the oil. The gasket was being blownout from the oil passage. In 35 years of tinkering with cars and almost 20 of those making a living as a mechanic, I had never seen this. It worked like a one way valve! After the Neon, I will never buy another Chrysler product. It had so many other problems in addition to the head deal. Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to be able to use 5w-30 Mobil 1, I am not liking the 5w-20, it kinda makes me nervous. After growing up on engines that used 20w-50 and racing with straight 50w oil for years before Mobil 1 made an oil with the right viscosity for my application. Lightweight oil makes me a little nervous. LOL Dave

Wouldn't worry about the 5-20w. Toyota now uses the same oil. My mechanic told me and after research about the neon through consumer reports they had the head gasket problem and also a lot of electrical problems. I felt the same way about the light wt. 5-20 but is toyota and honda new engines. Remember it is oil circulation not pressure that saves the engine. When people first swithed to synthetic they worried because they lost oil pressure. If you want pressure, reduce the size of the oil passage. Synthetic is not the heavy viscosity of reg oil there by not as high pressure. Pressure is not always a good thing. circulation is.

There are many CR-V's with well over 200,000 miles on the original engine with no issues. Do a search on something like autotrader.com for high mileage CR-V's. You will be amazed.

syn oil

Quote Originally Posted by 97bubba View Post
    Definately go with the synthetic after the proper break in period with their oil (I believe it is a "blend" - part syn, part dino, like the Toyota factory fills).

I would break in for 3 - 5K miles, then switch. That's what I intend to do (at 1.5K miles now).

5W-20 is OK, engine is "built" for that weight oil. 5W-30 would probably not hurt anything at all, but you would reduce your gas milage slightly (maybe .5mpg or even less).

97Bubba doesn't need to worry about any "break-in period". He has a 1997.
    On very high mileage engines, one should take into consideration that synthetic oil may not be the best for older engine seals. That is why several of the oil companies now make a synthetic blend for "high-mileage" engines.
    Those oils are designed to keep old seals pliable and leak-free.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements