2.4L Engine noise on cold start-up, CRV AND Accord - Page 123
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1284

Thread: 2.4L Engine noise on cold start-up, CRV AND Accord

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Grinding sound again tonight when I started my car after sitting in the parking lot all day at work. 28 degrees outside. Going to start a log book and keep track of when it happens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Good morning! Happy Winter!

I am posting this with my fingers fully crossed (figuratively). My dealership may have solved this problem once for all.

I took the car to the dealership just before Thanksgiving to get the new VTC Actuator put in. They did. After four weeks, when the temps dipped, I started hearing the rattle again. Took it back to the dealer. They kept it for a whole week. They called me daily to say they did not hear the noise when the car was started in the morning and in the evening after sitting all day out in the cold. They also told me the oil level was low and they topped it off. I knew the oil level was just a 1/4" below the high mark because I changed the oil last Summer. So I didn't know why the dealership considered that "Low". The owner's manual clearly says it's ok for the oil to be between the high and low marks.

I got the V back 10 days ago. Checked the oil level. It was 1/2" OVER the high mark. However, the car was starting fine on cold mornings and evenings and no rattle. Temps were anywhere from -10F to 20's.

I think the solution is: Get the new VTC Actuator (Part# ending in 305) put in. Make sure the oil level is at or slightly above the HIGH mark.

I will report again in a couple of weeks if this was still holding good.
    Last edited by genuser; 01-14-2017 at 11:11 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    2014 CRV EXL I had the VTC actuator replaced last Feb. I'm happy to report even though we had 3 days of temps in the 10 - 15 degrees, there was no rattle during that time. It's fixed
    Last edited by Cliff's CRV; 01-15-2017 at 02:26 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Mine doesn't do it every day, sometimes it will go a week without any sound. But it still will do it from time to time. Even after having the VTC actuator replaced with the "new and updated" part.

Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    Mine doesn't do it every day, sometimes it will go a week without any sound. But it still will do it from time to time. Even after having the VTC actuator replaced with the "new and updated" part.
    Where is the oil level at? if it is below the top mark/hole, you may want to fill it to the top mark or a little higher and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by genuser View Post
    Where is the oil level at? if it is below the top mark/hole, you may want to fill it to the top mark or a little higher and see if that makes a difference.
    It is just short of the full mark. Filling it fuller that what is required will have no benefit to a part that is in the top of the motor. I'm a firm believer that overfilling anything will do more harm than good. The markers on any fluid are there for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    It is just short of the full mark. Filling it fuller that what is required will have no benefit to a part that is in the top of the motor. I'm a firm believer that overfilling anything will do more harm than good. The markers on any fluid are there for a good reason.
    I totally agree. There is no harm in filling it up to the top mark and see if that stops the rattle, correct?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Hi guys! I'm back! Lol. Glad to see this thread I started nearly 3 yrs ago is still going strong. Well, actually I'm not. I wish y'all would have gotten this resolved by now.

I logged on to thank you guys for the info on the revised VTC actuator. I don't have a Crv any longer, but my mom still has her 14.

She took hers to Apple Honda and they installed the revised part number VTC.

I'm happy to report that since she had it replaced, it's been completely quiet. It's been a week now and no noise. Hers was getting so bad it was rattling in her garage nearly every morning during this winter.

So i guess we'll see how it goes. I don't like hearing others are rattling even after it's been replaced. Hopefully we will make out better. If it comes back, I'll let y'all know.

Thanks again for keeping this going!

- G

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Ps, with the additional info from some recent replies, if her V does rattle again, the first thing I'll check is the oil level and ensure its full or slightly over.

A little over is nothing to worry about. If were talking a quart over, that's an issue.

Thanks again for all your help

Explain to me where one gets the idea that thinking putting oil to or past the full mark on the dipstick is going to help the VTC actuator rattle?

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread