2.4L Engine noise on cold start-up, CRV AND Accord - Page 125
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1250

Thread: 2.4L Engine noise on cold start-up, CRV AND Accord

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I wanted to thank whomever started this thread years ago as well as to everyone who had posted over the years. This thread has helped me tremendously, and I joined this forum just to be able to express this gratitude. After my 2004 CRV with 225,000 miles bit the dust in a 3-car accident last June, I bought a used 2014 CRV with 36k on it. Once it reached in the early 40k range, I started getting the random start-up grinding noise and it started causing me some concern. As you all well know, it wouldn't occur every time, and when it did it lasted for a second or two. Always (when it did) on the first start-up in the morning. I would go two weeks without the noise, then it would do it again.

I recorded the noise on the cell phone and played it for a local dealership, and they said that they would need to have the car in person and hear it for themselves before they could properly diagnose it. Leaving my car there for who knows how long would have been a major inconvenience. I did some research online and found this forum with this particular thread of 120+ pages of comments and analysis. Then the car started to make the noise on an evening start-up two or three times over the course of a few weeks.

I emailed the mechanic at the dealership, with a link and the summary information from this thread and told him I was bringing the car in to leave there for diagnosis and repair (pointing out the VTC Actuator issue). I had to rent a car to get back and forth to work while they had my CRV. The following morning they heard the noise, and the morning after that they called me and said they replaced the VTC Actuator and it was ready to go. No charge as it was under the power train warranty (was well under 60k, actually was under 48k).

So far, the first two mornings after the replacement (and, yes, they did replace it with the newer Part# 14310-R5A-305), and I have not heard the grinding noise upon start-up. I'll feel more secure about it if I go through the rest of February without hearing that noise, but so far so good.

So, once again, THANK YOU ALL for this invaluable forum thread that helped to get to the source of the problem with a quick repair at no charge (except for the rental car). All the best!

~Trubador

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I have a 2013 CRV. Honda replaced the VTC actuator. I was one of the first (I was on a waiting list). THey replaced it late last winter and it did not make the noise until about a month ago. Of course, living in Northern Virginia, most of the year it isn't cold enough. But starting in January of this year, the noise is back.

I have had my 2012 CRV for almost 5 years now. In two months it will be 5 years old. It has been a flawfless vehicle for almost 5 years and I want to keep it for another 5 years at least.

I heard the cold start up rattle for the first time last weekend when I went to Mammoth Mountain for a skiing trip last weekend. I live in sunny Southern California so weather here is mild, never below 40 degrees during the winter.

I already printed TSB from the dropbox account on page 115 on this thread, thank you whoever provided this!

I am having a dilemma, should I take it to the dealer to fix the issue? I know for sure they cannot reproduce the noise because it is too warm where I live. Some people have posted that the noise does not cause any harm. Since I live in a warm climate it will never make any noise until I go to a cold area.

What to do?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by genuser View Post
    DIY GUY, it's based on actual observation over last 12 cold days with my 2014 CRV EX. It was making the noise about once a week after the new part was installed just before Thanksgiving. I dropped it off at the dealership just before Christmas. As written in my post #1222, The oil level was about 1/4" below the high mark. When I got the V back from the dealer one week later, it was above the high mark. The dealer said the only thing they did was to top off the oil. That is what they wrote on the papers as well. They didn't charge me anything for that service. I got the V back on 1/2/17. As of this morning (1/14/17), it has not made the noise on cold starts. No other repair or service was done on the vehicle.

I just shared my actual experience on this forum. This is not professional advice. I am not liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, suffered by someone if they were to replicate my experience.

I wanted to test this theory. So, Today, I drained some oil and lowered the level to be just at the high mark. I will report back in a few days.
    Updates:
    - About 80 days since new VTC actuator part installed under warranty
    - Occasional cold start rattle
    - About 45 days since Dealer topped off oil and overfilled
    - No rattle
    - Drained some oil so the level is right at the High mark
    - About 30 days with oil at high mark - No rattle

So far so good. When the warm weather returns I will drain some more oil and bring the level to just below the high mark. Next Winter, I plan to top off oil to the high mark again because I think that's what helped kill the occasional rattle I was getting even with the new VTC actuator.

genuser

We are waiting for your results.

I will try to add some oil over the high mark.

Quote Originally Posted by genuser View Post
    Updates:
    - About 80 days since new VTC actuator part installed under warranty
    - Occasional cold start rattle
    - About 45 days since Dealer topped off oil and overfilled
    - No rattle
    - Drained some oil so the level is right at the High mark
    - About 30 days with oil at high mark - No rattle

So far so good. When the warm weather returns I will drain some more oil and bring the level to just below the high mark. Next Winter, I plan to top off oil to the high mark again because I think that's what helped kill the occasional rattle I was getting even with the new VTC actuator.
    Think about it. Topping off the oil does nothing to help with the rattle. It just hasn't happened to you. The weather is warming up too. Not sure why you believe putting more oil in is going to stop the issue. The VTC actuator is in the top portion of the motor, so when the car is off the oil alll runs down. It isn't like topping it off submerges the part in oil preventing the rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    Think about it. Topping off the oil does nothing to help with the rattle. It just hasn't happened to you. The weather is warming up too. Not sure why you believe putting more oil in is going to stop the issue. The VTC actuator is in the top portion of the motor, so when the car is off the oil alll runs down. It isn't like topping it off submerges the part in oil preventing the rattle.
    I do not know the answer DIYGuy. You may be right that it just happened to me. I was just letting all know what I observed. Please do not take it as professional advice. I will continue to observe though. You are right it is warming up now. So I may have to wait until next Winter.

Topping off the oil will do nothing IMO.

I keep my CRV engine oil at the full mark and this happened to me the first time last week in 5 years of owning the vehicle. I mentioned before I live in sunny Southern California and it never gets below 45F here at night. I went to skiing last weekend and I heard the noise for the first time in 5 years since it was 25F outside. I been skiing before and did not hear it last year on a cold negative degree start up. Strange that I am getting it now.

Since I live in a warm climate I will never hear the noise until I go skiing (once or twice a year). I believe I can live with the noise and not go to the dealer for a fix.

Any opinions?? My powertrain warranty is up in 2 months should I take it into the dealer for the TSB fix? 100% sure they cannot reproduce the noise because its too warm here.

Also some people say that keep your oil clean with top tier oil. I change my oil when the maintenance minder hits 50%, this is around 3500-4000 mile mark. The noise still happened in my vehicle. It is a design issue not a oil issue IMO.

If the noise does not cause any harm to the engine I am now worried.

Hui,

New owner of a CRV still under warranty. Have the same engine noise on startup. I'd like the name of your legal team. many thanks, Bob Hobert

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    chmura -I've seen temps as low as 36* on my thermometer in my backyard here in the OC, so please don't say it never gets cold here in Southern California. All you'll do is mislead people into thinking this is the promised land of sunshine and roses and they'll all move here.
    Our '13 model, bought new, religiously maintained on Mobil 1 oil and Honda filters, makes the noise randomly, especially if it's been sitting more than just overnite or when it really is cold in the garage. I've even had it make the noise after just moving it out onto the driveway (short start, move, shut off) when I go to put it back into the garage. If you understand how the VTC works, it becomes pretty evident that Honda will not be coming up with a solution to this as the manufacturing tolerances would be prohibitively expensive to maintain on a production part that wouldn't make the noise, IMO.
    Yes, it makes the car sound like crap when it happens, but, as long as our car performs the way it does I'm more than happy to live with it. I don't find metal shavings in the oil, or any other signs that the noise is harming the engine, so I'll keep on hitting the VTEC as often as I can and enjoy the ride. YMMV, but there are other more important things in life to worry about, really.
    2013 EX FWD 5AT - Mountain Air Metallic (wife considers it HER's)
    2011 Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L w/NAV 5AT full HFP treatment installed at the factory (Honda Corp was 1st owner) Taffeta White (wife won't even ride in it now that we have the CR-V)

2002 Accord V-6 EX-L 4-dr Taffeta White (sold)
    2000 Ody EX Granite Green Metallic (sold)
    1983 Accord EX 4-dr 5-spd Metallic Grey (sold)
    1980 Accord 2-dr 5-spd Sand Beige (sold)
    (and at least 3 others that the kids have owned while they were at home)

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread