Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Side Molding on 2017?

95K views 169 replies 84 participants last post by  ArrestMeRed 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on the body side molding for the 2017? Just bought a Touring and was thinking about it - it saved me many a door ding on my 2013, but I'm not 100% sold on the look of these for the 17s...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sport utility vehicle

There is a picture of one with them on the Honda website, but I can't get it to save to upload here.

See less See more
#5 ·
My body siding molding was installed after purchase in early January 2015 and it was a successful installation. The dealership installing the molding should be certain the body is warmed enough for good results. They look good on the vehicle and do provide a good degree of protection. Personal choice for sure but the next new CRV for me will have the body side moldings installed before leaving the shop.

#10 ·
They look very good and are a worthwhile accessory to add to your new CRV. Love the burgundy color!

#14 ·
I think they look great. I plan to put them on my exl -anyone have a suggestion for purchase of 2017 body side moldings? dealers are too expensive, since they are super easy to install, I also do not want to pay for dealer installation. For my 2012 I purchased from Honda parts superstore; but they don't even list the 2017 crv yet.

#16 ·
Bodyside moulding should rest on the highest surface area of the side panels(the high point is where it bulges out from the panel, NOT the highest from the ground). It's hard to tell from picture if the moulding is mounted too low or not. Need to verify from edge of door toward front of vehicle to ensure it rides the high point. that's where everyone will make contact with the body of the car.

#17 ·
The instructions provide the exact height to place them and, if I recall correctly, they come with a template to aide in their placement.

I bought them for and installed them on my 2016 Civic and really like the look there. The ones on the CR-V are pretty bold and get quite wide (tall actually) by the back of the rear door, but they do seem to compliment the overall style of the vehicle. The dealer that I purchased from generally puts those and the splash guards on all of their vehicles, so it saved me a bit of time and effort.

Now I am waiting on the illuminated door sills to arrive so I can spend some time really bonding (pun inteneded) with my new CR-V. I am also keeping a close eye on the heated steering wheel as I hate wearing gloves and it sure makes it nice to drive in cold weather. I just wish that you didn't have to dismantle half of the vehicle to get it into place.

#18 ·
Now I am waiting on the illuminated door sills to arrive so I can spend some time really bonding (pun inteneded) with my new CR-V. I am also keeping a close eye on the heated steering wheel as I hate wearing gloves and it sure makes it nice to drive in cold weather. I just wish that you didn't have to dismantle half of the vehicle to get it into place.
I thought the directions for that heated steering wheel looked bad until I glanced at the install for the hitch. Holy-*bleep!* Yeah, if I ever want a hitch on mine, I'm going direct to the dealer for it.

#20 ·
When I saw the pictures online, I thought it looked too low and had decided not to get it, but would really like the extra protection.

If you install the body side molding yourself, why couldn't you position it up a little higher on the vehicle?

#28 ·
So far the factory recommended location of the body moldings DO NOT offer any protection against door dents from the cars I tested.

I tested with my Mustang and wife's Miata. No protection from either those car doors...

But you are still safe because Mustang and Miata owners do not park next to SUV's... LOL...

Has ANYONE tested theirs with another car make/model to see if these so called "protectors" offer some protection ?????

Maybe they only work if you park next to another 2017 CRV...

#29 ·
I am a retired Honda tech (over 40 years at one dealer) and with the templates it isn't hard to install these yourself. Wash and dry the doors, don't just wipe them down or the dust on them will scratch the paint as you wipe. Go ahead and place the templates and take the plastic off of all the short sections of adhesive on the moldings but just pull back short pieces of plastic on the long sections and dog-ear them to the outside. Next stick on the top two corners of the front door molding and make sure you are happy with the alignment before you pull out the remainder of the plastic strips and press the molding down firmly all along every edge. For the rear door moldings stick down the top front corner first making sure the height matches the front molding regardless of the template placement. Then before you finish attaching the rest of the molding be sure to get back and sight along the top edges of both moldings to make sure they are in a straight line before you stick it on for good. If it's not warm outside then gently warm the molding and surrounding sheet metal with a heat gun (not too close!) or even a hair dryer and then press down every inch of the molding edges again.

I am also a fan of the Honda metal color-matched door edge guards although not many people seem to be aware of them. If you install them, use the supplied tool to cut out the excess body seam sealer but try to not be so aggressive that you scrape all the way through the primer. It doesn't matter if a very thin layer of sealer remains. Hold the guard up first so you can only cut away sealer where needed. Use a soft rubber mallet to tap the guards on starting at one end and working along but before you start be sure to align the sharpest kink in the guard with its matching place on the door for the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.