Noise level in a Touring?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noise level in a Touring?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Noise level in a Touring?

How is the cabin noise level compared to the 2015 EX-L?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    From Car and Driver's review of the 2017 AWD Touring:

"Equally encouraging is the effort to reduce interior noise levels; we measured 69 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise, a 2-decibel decrease in ambient interior noise levels over a previously tested 2015 CR-V Touring AWD."

A reduction of 3db means the noise is half as loud, so it seems as though the new model is significantly quieter.

It's easily much quieter than our 2004 AWD EX. When I was sitting in a 2017 EX-L model in the dealer showroom and shut the door, it was very nice just how quiet the cabin became, seems like the 2017 has very good door seals.

Honda is advertising that the CR-V uses active noise cancellation too in the 2017 models. I assume that at least part of this is generating 'negative' noise via the stereo. It would be nice to now how much difference that this makes in the sound level in the cabin.

Does anyone have any more details on what Honda is doing here?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    From the Honda NZ website, date published is not listed:

Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off. There are two microphones in the cabin area. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Noise Cancellation unit. The control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to an amplifier, which powers the door speakers and the subwoofer positioned on the rear parcel shelf. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level.

Since the system is designed to cancel low-frequency sound, it doesn’t use any of the audio system's tweeters. The ANC dramatically reduces exterior noise. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    How is the cabin noise level compared to the 2015 EX-L?
    Switched from 2012 touring to 17, cabin is definitely much quieter at least 25 to 30 percent improvement.

Its the quietest vehicle ive ever owned.

Much quieter than my 2013 was. Very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by S2k_Dude View Post
    From Car and Driver's review of the 2017 AWD Touring:

"Equally encouraging is the effort to reduce interior noise levels; we measured 69 decibels at a steady 70-mph cruise, a 2-decibel decrease in ambient interior noise levels over a previously tested 2015 CR-V Touring AWD."

A reduction of 3db means the noise is half as loud, so it seems as though the new model is significantly quieter.

It's easily much quieter than our 2004 AWD EX. When I was sitting in a 2017 EX-L model in the dealer showroom and shut the door, it was very nice just how quiet the cabin became, seems like the 2017 has very good door seals.
    I just wanted to expand upon this: As a math teacher I actually teach sound intensity when studying logarithms with my students. A 3db reduction/addition is approximately half/double the sound intensity, BUT perceived loudness is generally considered double with a 10-fold difference in intensity. What this means is that although the sound intensity is half in the newer CR-Vs when compared to older CR-Vs, the loudness to our ears is really only about 20% better. Still a good improvement, but to say it is half as loud is misleading, though not technically false.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoody View Post
    Switched from 2012 touring to 17, cabin is definitely much quieter at least 25 to 30 percent improvement.
    2012 CRV is the loudest vehicle I've ever ridden in, economy cars included. No joke.

2017 EXL AWD - I expected the fan speed would reduce when reaching set temperature. As it is set, it is loud. Reducing speed removes automatic setting. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast