Free Navigation updates?
NEWS

  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

    Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Free Navigation updates?

  1. #1
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    48

    Free Navigation updates?

    Somewhere I read or heard that some models of the 2017 Hondas have free navigation updates for 5 years. I cannot seem to pin this down on the CR-V. The Dealer had no idea yes or no.

    Can anyone help with this?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    crv|oc Rank: Member Dim Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    17
    That is how it was advertised with me. The updates are through Garmin and not through the dealership. From my small bit of time playing with my wife's new CR-V, it seems that it requires use of a USB stick to apply the updates.
    -Steve
    2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD Dark Olive Green (Wifey's Car)
    2015 Ram 2500 Longhorn Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel 4x4

  4. #3
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim Sum View Post
    That is how it was advertised with me. The updates are through Garmin and not through the dealership. From my small bit of time playing with my wife's new CR-V, it seems that it requires use of a USB stick to apply the updates.
    I was hoping it would be Lifetime Traffic and Maps, just like about any $100 GPS Nav system being sold at Best Buy.

  5. #4
    crv|oc Rank: Member Dim Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    17
    Yeah....I guess I've been buying 'built in' nav systems too long. When I heard 5 years I thought "sweet" vs my last Ford Superduty and the current Ram which come with maps that cost $149 per year to update.

    I still buy the Nav systems though as I really like the integration they provide...especially when the directions are placed into the instrument gauge cluster.

    The 3 months of Sirius XM however...just screams cheap. They could at least provide a year.
    -Steve
    2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD Dark Olive Green (Wifey's Car)
    2015 Ram 2500 Longhorn Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel 4x4

  6. #5
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    80
    Actually, with Android Auto, the directions are also sent to the instrument cluster. (I do not think this is the case with CarPlay.)

    I think Honda doesn't promise free "lifetime" updates not just because they are greedy (although I'm sure some of that is going on), but because they don't want to be forced to do all the work themselves indefinitely if Garmin goes out of business.

  7. #6
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman zroger73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    215
    All the latest Honda systems with Garmin-based navigation come with 5 years of free map updates and "lifetime" traffic updates*. The entire process can be completed in anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours depending on the speed of your internet connection. You'll need a USB drive of at least 16 GB capacity (the update file is several GB in size).

    Honda first used the Garmin system in the '16 Pilot, then the '16 Civic, the '17 Ridgeline, the '17 CR-V, and the '18 Odyssey.

    As far as comparing 5 years of updates in the vehicle to "lifetime" updates for a standalone navigation system...

    1. 5 years of updates is not as good as "lifetime", but is much better than $100+/year.

    2. According to the latest studies, most people own a vehicle an average of 6 years. Those looking to keep up with the latest technology trade even more frequently. So, 5 years of updates is anywhere from sufficient to more than enough for most people.

    3. The "lifetime" of a standalone navigation system ends when: The device is stolen, the device is lost, the device is replaced with a newer/better/faster/bigger model, or the device fails. It does not have a lifetime warranty - it simply has lifetime updates in the rare event you still have it and it still functions and hasn't been rendered obsolete after a few years. Manufacturers offer "lifetime" map updates knowing that the vast majority of owners won't have the device for a "lifetime".

    * Traffic information is free in areas where traffic information is available (in and around larger cities). It is broadcast over FM radio frequencies and is free for the life of the vehicle or the technology.
    Hidden Content
    Former vehicles: '16 CR-V, '14 Ridgeline, '10 Ridgeline, '09 Civic, '09 Silverado, '08 G35, '07 Ridgeline, '06 Accord, '00 Cavalier, '99 B2500, '99 Regal, '98 Neon, '96 Cougar, '96 Ranger, '95 Probe, '94 Escort, '93 Cougar, '92 Grand Am, '91 Tempo, '86 Escort, '84 Fiero, '73 F-100, '69 Skylark

  8. #7
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
    All the latest Honda systems with Garmin-based navigation come with 5 years of free map updates and "lifetime" traffic updates*. The entire process can be completed in anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours depending on the speed of your internet connection. You'll need a USB drive of at least 16 GB capacity (the update file is several GB in size).

    Honda first used the Garmin system in the '16 Pilot, then the '16 Civic, the '17 Ridgeline, the '17 CR-V, and the '18 Odyssey.

    As far as comparing 5 years of updates in the vehicle to "lifetime" updates for a standalone navigation system...

    1. 5 years of updates is not as good as "lifetime", but is much better than $100+/year.

    2. According to the latest studies, most people own a vehicle an average of 6 years. Those looking to keep up with the latest technology trade even more frequently. So, 5 years of updates is anywhere from sufficient to more than enough for most people.

    3. The "lifetime" of a standalone navigation system ends when: The device is stolen, the device is lost, the device is replaced with a newer/better/faster/bigger model, or the device fails. It does not have a lifetime warranty - it simply has lifetime updates in the rare event you still have it and it still functions and hasn't been rendered obsolete after a few years. Manufacturers offer "lifetime" map updates knowing that the vast majority of owners won't have the device for a "lifetime".

    * Traffic information is free in areas where traffic information is available (in and around larger cities). It is broadcast over FM radio frequencies and is free for the life of the vehicle or the technology.
    I am hoping the 2017 crv has the latest Updated map.

  9. #8
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman zroger73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoody View Post
    I am hoping the 2017 crv has the latest Updated map.
    It will be loaded with the latest version as of the date the maps were packaged and loaded into the vehicle at the factory (maps updates are not part of the pre-delivery inspection).

    No big deal if you don't have the latest version - as stated, updates are free for 5 years and are very simple to install.

    Keep in mind by the time map updates are released, they're already anywhere from months to years old (depends on the area). It takes time to gather map data from a variety of sources, put it all together, distribute the updates, and install them. Typically, you can bank on the latest map data being at least a year old. The "2017" update (which was released late in 2016) obviously doesn't include anything past that release date.
    Hidden Content
    Former vehicles: '16 CR-V, '14 Ridgeline, '10 Ridgeline, '09 Civic, '09 Silverado, '08 G35, '07 Ridgeline, '06 Accord, '00 Cavalier, '99 B2500, '99 Regal, '98 Neon, '96 Cougar, '96 Ranger, '95 Probe, '94 Escort, '93 Cougar, '92 Grand Am, '91 Tempo, '86 Escort, '84 Fiero, '73 F-100, '69 Skylark

  10. #9
    LDB
    LDB is offline
    crv|oc Rank: Member LDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    58
    EX to an EX-L-Navi is a $3950 jump. Not worth it when a $2xx Garmin will do a better job and have lifetime updates to boot.
    2016 EX Mountain Air Metallic

  11. #10
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman zroger73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    EX to an EX-L-Navi is a $3950 jump. Not worth it when a $2xx Garmin will do a better job and have lifetime updates to boot.
    EX to EX-L NAVI difference is $3,500 which adds a LOT more than just navigation (power tailgate, leather, auto dimming mirror, HomeLink, driver's seat memory, power passenger seat, additional speakers, and HD radio).

    EX-L to EX-L NAVI difference is $1,000, so that's a more fair comparison to your $2xx Garmin.

    Advantages of the $1,000 factory system over a $2xx Garmin:

    1. No unsightly power cords to plug in, suction cups, Velcro, or adhesive.
    2. Dead reckoning (vehicle sensors are used to update the vehicle's position on the map when you lose GPS signal).
    3. FAR less likely to be stolen - you don't have to hide it or remove it each time you leave the vehicle.
    4. Sends solar angle to the HVAC system to help it compensate for the direction sunlight is entering the cabin.
    5. Redundant instructions appear in the instrument cluster.
    6. Physically integrated with the vehicle for a factory appearance.
    7. Covered under the vehicle's three-year (standard) or up to eight-year (extended) warranty instead of one year.
    Last edited by zroger73; 01-11-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Kurrekt speleeng
    Hidden Content
    Former vehicles: '16 CR-V, '14 Ridgeline, '10 Ridgeline, '09 Civic, '09 Silverado, '08 G35, '07 Ridgeline, '06 Accord, '00 Cavalier, '99 B2500, '99 Regal, '98 Neon, '96 Cougar, '96 Ranger, '95 Probe, '94 Escort, '93 Cougar, '92 Grand Am, '91 Tempo, '86 Escort, '84 Fiero, '73 F-100, '69 Skylark

  12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM
  2. Traffic updates
    By duncan22 in forum Problems & Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
  3. Site updates
    By Mainer82 in forum Feedback Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  4. CR-Viper (new pictures/updates often)
    By Serj22 in forum Image & Video Gallery
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
  5. NAV DVD Updates
    By m510963 in forum Dear Honda: (Feedback Forum)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2