Radio "Source" Help Needed
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio "Source" Help Needed

crv|oc Rank: Member

Radio "Source" Help Needed

I'm not sure as to how this all works and I suspect I'm in the minority here (I'm older and don't listen to much music), but when I used my last vehicle I could simply turn on the radio and I heard the radio. I turned channels using the steering wheel control. Simple as pie.

The 2017 CRV radio is different and I'm not sure what to do. First of all, it wants to play what is playing on my phone even if I don't have music or podcasts playing on the phone. I don't like that--I have a 10 minute drive to work and just want to listen to the radio, usually NPR. So, I went to settings on the phone (after searching the internet for advice) and selected Cellular and turned music and podcasts "off." The problem is that if I'm on a longer drive and want to listen to a podcast, I have to go back to the settings on the phone and turn podcasts "on."

If I do that, next time I use the car I have to change the "source" and go back to FM. And my podcast plays in the background and the phone thinks I've listened to something I haven't.

Also, even if I have FM playing, if I select AWD to be shown on my dashboard the steering wheel controls no longer change the radio station. I have to have the music icon selected to change channels. Basically, I've had a tough time operating the radio--which I'm very used to playing--and it is obviously much more than AM and FM. Also, I find myself reaching over to the touchscreen a lot to simply allow me to play the radio.

Why does the car feel that I need to listen to the phone's music even though I'm not listening to it? Is there any set up I can do to make the CRV baseline FM as the source?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    A lot of this depends on how you're connecting your phone to the vehicle, I believe. If you are connecting it via a cable, then the phone takes precedence over everything else. If you connect the phone via Bluetooth, it will act like any other source on the radio; whatever you were last listening to will be restored on the next vehicle start up.

The steering wheel controls are tied to whatever is being displayed on the DID (Driver Information Display), so no, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. However, if you have the radio set as your source and the Audio screen up, all of your standard controls are there on the center screen.

I don't understand your statement about the podcast playing in the background, so can't comment much on that one other than that the stereo shouldn't do that. It should only offer one source at a time. If it is doing this, it may be misbehaving. If it is, you may want to reboot the stereo. On the Civic, the upper left touch 'button' is the on/off switch and if you touch it for 10-15 seconds, it will come up and ask if you want to reboot the system. I'm assuming that the CR-V's stereo will be the same, but that you use the Home 'button' for this. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know for sure.

Hopefully, some of this information helps you out. Feel free to ask any other questions that you may have.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    As for the phone playing while you are not listening, I have had this frustration before. What seems to fix it for me is to make sure I don't turn off the car while listening to Bluetooth or whatever connected phone method. Turn it back to FM instead. When you turn on the car, it goes to whatever you were listening to last. If that was Bluetooth, it will ping your phone to play something. Your phone scrambles to figure out something it can play, and merrily plays, even if you are not listening. That's my experience, anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread