Noise insulation in EX-L vs Touring?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noise insulation in EX-L vs Touring?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Noise insulation in EX-L vs Touring?

Is there a difference in noise insulation in EX-l vs Touring? On Honda website I couldn't find any specs about it but the consumer reports first drive video mentions it(~ 2:55 min mark)- http://www.consumerreports.org/2017/...-drive-review/ . Anyone has any idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Touring noise level is much lower according to Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Tangotango View Post
    Touring noise level is much lower according to Honda
    Can you please provide a source?

My understanding is that there is no difference - that the Touring does not have any add'l materials or difference in structure than the other trims that would lower noise levels. I've read several source that state active noise cancellation has been added to all trims.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Yeah, that CR review is the only place I've seen it mentioned, and on the drive where CR wrote that review (it was an auto-press event near Monterey, CA), only Tourings were available to test with.

I can believe the EX and up would have more insulation than the LX (certainly the interiors are dramatically different), but not extra-super-specialness for the Touring. (At least, not in this aspect.)

I'd like to see that documented as well, I've not seen or read there is a difference in any of the other reviews or from Honda.

On the subject of noise, has anybody noticed the gigantic blanket affixed to the bottom of their car? I am almost certain this is there for noise purposes, and I worry about it's longevity, and also about moisture being trapped between it and the vehicle... was this present in previous versions of the car?

Though it does seem pretty sturdy, so perhaps I'm worrying for nothing...
    Last edited by sirwired; 01-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I also reached out to Honda customer support and their response was "Hello, thank you for your interest in Honda! Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to get that information. You can check out http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v and compare the two trim levels to see the specifications we have available on our website. We recommend contacting your local Honda dealer if you do not find the information you are looking for on our website."

Not much of help but it looks like no difference between the 2 trims as far as noise insulation.

And, of course, the likelihood that the dealer would know about anything not in the brochure is pretty low. (The status of dealer sales education is pretty sparse these days; I doubt they receive much education outside of the same videos Honda publishes on YouTube.)

"Giant blanket under the car" sounds like aerodynamics to increase the fuel efficiency of the Honda CR-V. Look under other cars and they may have something similar. These things usually fall off if you hit a lot of objects on the road or if the car bottoms out in any way. Honda could have made this part of the sound insulation also.

This topic was touched on in an earlier post. The roof lining is in fact lower (thicker?) on the Touring. I was questioning if Honda is selling this as extra sound insulation, when it in fact could just be a cost savings measure. The Canadian Touring model has a panoramic sunroof. It could be they are using the same lining for both touring models, even though the US model doesn't need a lowered ceiling to account for the sunroof. Any official word would be appreciated.

Edit: OR American Honda made the decision to add more insulation versus the panoramic sunroof??? Either way, I guarantee the refresh will include a panoramic sunroof.
    Last edited by Silver17V; 01-12-2017 at 12:04 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast