What is a Good Phone for Android Auto
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Phone for Android Auto

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

What is a Good Phone for Android Auto

My Android Auto experience on my '17 has been a disaster. Constant freezing, skipping, ignoring, and black screens. It is much more of a driving distraction than just not having it at all.

Being the type of product it is, it is very difficult to pin fault on any piece of it. Is it the cell service provider, phone, Android Auto app, USB cable, car wiring, car head unit, or head unit software? There are almost as many parties to deal with as there are parts to the system.

Anyway, I have to eliminate "my" end of the issue before I can expect the service department to try anything. So, I've tried different USB cables with no luck. I don't really have access to other Android phones to try, so I want to hear from anyone who has a great Android Auto experience in their 2017.

What kind of Android phone do you have?

I'll start:

I have a Verizon Moto E from 2015. It runs Lollipop (5.1). If the problem is the phone, then this phone doesn't work with AA in my '17 CR-V.

-edit: 5.1 is Lollipop, not Marshmallow, duh.
    Last edited by tjbron; 01-25-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong version

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    My experience with Android Auto so far is good with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on T-Mobile. I did a 500 mile trip last weekend and Android auto was stable all the time. I used Navigation, Spotify/Google music, phone calls etc and all worked well except the occasional loss of signal coverage in certain areas which is due to T-Mobile network. One feature I liked was it shows turn directions on the instrument panel when you approach the turn, otherwise whatever you had there. Phone never was hot and charged fully after connected for around 3 hours.
    One gripe I have is though, I dont think we can connect another bluetooth device while a smartphone is connected. So my only choices are the apps available in Android Auto especially for music.

Thanks (Received)
    cymoa13, thanks for the report!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    I have a Nexus 5X running Nougat. Seems to work pretty well. If I were buying a replacement phone now, I'd go with a used Nexus 6P. Alternatively, hold out for the rumored US release of the Android One line. The reason for this is a Google-sponsored phone is more-likely to work with bleeding-edge Android features than rarely-updated 3rd-party phones. (The Google-sponsored phones receive prompt security and feature updates.)

The only glitch I've noticed is the Google Maps app keeps wanting to redraw from scratch once a minute or so, and this process takes about a second.

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks sirwired. Hadn't heard about the Android One. The Pixel is the big Google phone right now, but I have read people having issues with it on Android Auto. Not sure if that was related to the USB-C or what, and also I think they are dealing with an aftermarket head unit. Just too many variables.

I'm encouraged to know that Android Auto can be functional. I was starting to rip my hair out...

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I'm using a samsung note 4 edge on Verizon. So far, AA has worked great. Love just saying 'ok, google' and saying where to navigate to, which music service to play or who to call/text and speaking out what i want texted. I haven't really used nav much as I've just been doing my reg routine to and from work, etc and no trips yet since I've had my car.
    2003 Gold EX CRV---> 2007 Basque Red EXL CRV---> 2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX CRV!! Hidden Content

Thanks (Received)
    Samsung S5 never a problem.

Thanks (Received)
    Using Nexus 5X Android 7.1.1 Nougat on T-Mobile. Pretty solid experience. No crashes at all, decent responsiveness, voice control works nicely.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyoma13 View Post
    One feature I liked was it shows turn directions on the instrument panel when you approach the turn, otherwise whatever you had there.
    That's awesome. Apple CarPlay supports that, but for some reason my 2017 CR-V Touring only shoes turn indicators on the instrument panel using the native Garmin navigation,

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbron View Post
    Thanks sirwired. Hadn't heard about the Android One. The Pixel is the big Google phone right now, but I have read people having issues with it on Android Auto. Not sure if that was related to the USB-C or what, and also I think they are dealing with an aftermarket head unit. Just too many variables.

I'm encouraged to know that Android Auto can be functional. I was starting to rip my hair out...
    I didn't mention the pixel simply because I figured if you were on a Moto E now, the Pixel would probably be a bit more than you usually spend on a phone...

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast