Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver seat foam displaced

39K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  TheDarkKnight 
#1 ·
Noticed driver seat foam got displaced in the new crv. :( Dealer is going to fix this. Anyone had similar issue.?

Any suggestions.

Waist

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the exact same problem!

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat Mid-size car

It took 3 weeks for the dealer to get the replacement cushion, and about 5 hours to remove the bad one and install the replacement. They did the replacement last Friday, I picked up my car on Saturday morning, and the seat is much more comfortable and looks a lot better.

#4 ·
I had the exact same problem!

View attachment 75793

It took 3 weeks for the dealer to get the replacement cushion, and about 5 hours to remove the bad one and install the replacement. They did the replacement last Friday, I picked up my car on Saturday morning, and the seat is much more comfortable and looks a lot better.
Thanks for sharing the info. Glad that issue was fixed. 3 weeks is really bad . :( . I just bought the car last week and didn't get enough time to drive it even. Hope this issue won't happen again after the fix or for other seats. Did they tell you why it happened. My delear never seen this issue before..

#6 ·
My dealer fixed it today. They looked at services news and found instructions to correct the issue which is basically massaging the foam to push it to place it in correct position. They said Honda didn't give a service bulletin or replacement/repair instructions yet.. if they replace cushion it can also have this issue. As per them issue might have caused when someone leaned on to that portion of seat; my car was given for window tints and car detailing.

Need to wait few months and see if Honda comes up with replacement options..

#9 ·
Just had the same issue with our driver side seat bolster (window side) on our new 2017 CRV EX-L and it looks exactly like the photo above. The dealer said they have heard about it but this was the first one they have seen in person. We've only had the car for about 2 weeks. They are ordering a replacement piece of foam instead of trying to manipulate it back into place.

#18 ·
I wrote about this in another post but it bears repeating here. I had two defects in the drivers seat. One was a protrusion in the window side wing that lined up perfectly with my kidney - very uncomfortable. Dealer said it was the second 2017 CR-V Touring AWD with this problem and believes Honda will be issuing a TSB or recall notice in the near future. The fix was replacing the entire back foam piece. I looked at the removed foam piece and was shown where the split in the foam for the air bag had been pushed underneath the piping for the wiring. This pushed the piping out and into my kidney. The picture above is at the lower end of the air bag split so it too could have been pushed in and under the piping leaving the indent shown. By the way there are two zippers on the back of the seat that you can unzip from the bottom up to feel around inside the seat. I did this but still left the repair for the dealer. The service person who worked on my seat did say a disturbing line which was "this could have been caused be someone bumping into the seat" - that did make me wonder if it would happen again.

The second issue was the lumbar control which only worked in and out - not up and down. Another issue that may be causing drivers an uncomfortable lump in the middle of their backs. To check this work the control and use your free hand to see if the lumbar control is actually moving in all directions. The dealer replaced the lumbar control unit and it is working fine now.

The fixed seat is very comfortable now - nothing sticking into me and wide enough to be enjoyable - and I can get the lumbar support just right for my back.

Most Honda dealers are at least fixing the issues without insisting there is nothing wrong which at least shows that they do care for the customer's satisfaction.

#22 · (Edited)
Honda seats used to be made to last - My 1991 Accord seats (they did not offer leather back then) are 26 Years old and look better than my newer CR-V Leather seats looked after 1 month.

Honda is living on reputation of Quality from the 1990's. Like Dilbert says "Honda puts the K in Quality".

I looked at a couple of new 2017's and I could not find one that had the Quality that they had in the 1990's.

They used to put Michelin tires - Not any more. They put as cheap a tire as they can get away with.

I have owned Honda's since 1976 (The Accord Hatchback) I went Subaru in 1982 because Honda would not put factory air or cruise control on at the factory. I went back in the 1990's. The rubber door seals and Seat material in my 2006 and 2009 Ridgeline did not make it to end of warranty, but the ride was great. To bad that Honda Management does not do the quality over profits any more - Old Man Hondo must be rolling in his grave.

The foam in my 2013 are falling apart - not even 60,000 miles - my 296,000 mile Accord seats look better. The ignition lock and door opener on the drivers side have failed again. I think it is time to retire the Accord - Muffler needs replacing again.

#23 ·
Same issue. It happened 3 weeks ago. Fixed it, ended up with the same problem in 3 days. Dealer shop told me that I have to wait for the Honda's call, denying further fix. I immediately raised this issue to Honda America. Since the very day I made the call, they've been saying that "our engineers are working on finding the proper solution" for 2 weeks.

I went to the dealer shop again yesterday for other issues (noise and vibration), they told me that Honda America did tell them NOT TO FIX the foam because it's not the foam itself that causes the collapse. It does mean something else is going on. Worse part is that the lumber sporting device that should be adjustable with the round button down the seat, is not working in one direction after the first fix. All this is a complete joke.

#25 ·
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's had this problem. I had my seat back replaced a month ago for the same issue, and yesterday I noticed it has collapsed again. I would love to know if anyone hears of a permanent fix, as I doubt having Honda replace the seat back a 2nd time will solve the problem permanently. I have notified my Honda dealership and will update with any information when they call me back. Picture below was taken today of the replaced seat back.

Car seat cover Luxury vehicle Car Vehicle Car seat

#26 ·
I filed a formal complaint with nhtsa.gov concerned that my side airbag is in jeopardy. I suggest the rest of us do the same. The more exposure to NHTSA the sooner a fix.
Awhile back I complained to them regarding my old Volvo and I actually received a phone call from them to discuss. One month later and Volvo had a solution.

#28 ·
You will get much better results contacting Honda on this and getting a "case" opened on it. If you think filling with NHTSA is the fast way to get a warranty issue resolved you might want to rethink that.

BTW: After six months my seats look perfect....I was cheated out of a reason to take my car in and get free coffee and donuts yet again!

#29 ·
I have a 2017 EX (no leather) with only 550 miles on it. I have had the vehicle for about 1.5 months and the front seat is uncomfortable, especially my lower back on the left side. The foam does not look distorted and the seat adjustments appear to be working. It is just very uncomfortable. I will go back to the dealer and sit in another EX to see if it is the same. Worse comes to worse, I will take it to a professional upholster and have it re-done. Given all the adjustments on the driver's front seat, there should be a way to get this comfortable. A long trip in this car is currently out of the question. Does anyone else have this problem?

#30 ·
Well, mine happened yesterday. I noticed this morning as I was cleaning the car. Looks exactly like all the pics here. Guess I'll be making another trip to dlr. Was just there on Wed for first oil change. Why couldn't this happen before then? Murphy's Law I guess. My dlr is usually clueless on TSB and other things reported here. I'm taking my ipad in with me to show him this thread. As I stated in another thread, more reasons not to buy a first yr of a model change. Will never do it again.

#31 ·
Took it in to dlr. today. Showed him pics from this thread so he knew it wasn't just me. He didn't have an "official" TSB on it but it was a known problem to Honda. There was a pic of seat that looked just like ours in some sort of email he had. He ordered the foam for seat back and said it should be in a few days. Keeping fingers crossed and will keep you informed.

#32 ·
Had it fixed today. Dlr. replaced entire seat back foam. Took him longer than he thought but they gave me a loaner so I didn't care. Also took care of the TSB's while they had it. Hopefully it won't happen again. Maybe the first ones made had a bad batch of seat foam.

#34 ·
Same problem on a just purchased 2017 CRV Touring AWD with less than 200 miles driven. Called Honda America and they said take it to my dealer since there was a "Honda Tech Line Summary Article" issued in May 2017 with instructions to remove the seat cover and massage the foam back into place or replace the seat foam UNTIL the issue and solution can be found. Since replacing the foam in my opinion would only be a temporary fix since the real problem is not known my dealer offered to switch the entire seat with another CRV in hopes that only a few CRV's have this problem. This was the first seat my high volume dealer had seen. Switching the complete seat was the only option I would consider since I only had the car for two days. Anyway, there is a Honda America "Tech Line Summary Article" that all dealers have. Not a TSB since the real cause and fix has not been found.

#35 ·
It's interesting that people are having this issue. I remember when I had my first encounter with the 2017 CRV back in January, on the Touring unit I test drive the driver seat bottom looked and felt like it was sagging/collapsing, as if they skipped a step when they were stuffing it with material (FWIW I was the first person to test drive that particular unit as the tank was nearly bone dry and the salesman refilled it during the test drive). Consequently I found the seat very uncomfortable and had trepidation about buying a CRV just because of the driver seat after that encounter. Thankfully the EX-L unit I test drove last month, and the unit I now have parked in my garage don't have this issue. The seat feels fully bolstered and very comfortable, probably the most comfortable car seat I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. Certainly more so than the last car I was driving, a 2007 Toyota Camry SE.

I guess the point of my story is this... perhaps the issue is relegated to the Touring model, but irregardless, if it were an issue with earlier production units, you would think by now the assembly problem would be rectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.