Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Google Maps vs. Honda Nav

30K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  sirwired 
#1 ·
I have the EX-L with Nav.

I have used both the Honda Nav (HV) system and Google Maps (GM) through Android Auto. I can report that the GM is better than the HV in terms of speed, presentations (graphics), and accuracy. GM does the re-routing much more quickly than the HV. GM's graphics are less cartoonish than HV's screens. Most importantly, Google updates its GM regularly so my map data is always more current than HV's data.

The HV appears to have only two advantages: 1.) it includes HD radio, and 2.) it can work even if there is no cell reception. I don't know if these advantages are game-changers for any one.

My experience with both systems is that I use the GM regularly now and ignore the HV.

#4 ·
If you download offline map data, you'll be able to navigate without cell reception. The only "catch" is that voice recognition won't work, so you'll need to stop, unplug your phone, find the destination, and then plug it back in. Since cell reception is nearly ubiquitous, this isn't a huge deal, but it is a limitation. Speaking for myself(who does not have the nav option), I have a standalone Garmin with lifetime maps that I keep in the glovebox so I don't have to use that particular workaround.

ZGare,

It is unlikely that Apple will ever let Google Maps use CarPlay. (Just like you cannot use anything besides Google Maps with Android Auto. (Okay, you'll be able to use Waze soon, but Google owns Waze.)

#9 ·
I also forgot to mention two other advantages of the GM over the HV: 1) the GM pronounces the names of streets correctly in almost human voice whereas HV mispronounces the names and uses a robotic voice; 2.) position awareness.
While traveling on an elevated expressway and exiting to a parallel road, the HV mistakenly thinks I am still on the elevated road. The GM immediately knows my correct location on the parallel road. Kudos for GM!

#10 ·
Don't think this is compatible either,

But the WAZE app (part of Google) will speak directions in the voices of celebrities that are changed every few months!

I just finished with Clarkson, Hammond, and May from Top Gear/Grand Tour...before that I had Yoda and Col. Saunders...

PS,. on a more practical note, WAZE indicates dirt roads (if you want to keep your car clean yet take the most direct route). :)

#11 ·
GPS presentation is a personal thing. I have used Garmins for many years and happen to like them. My new Honda system is just like my Garmin I use in my other car so its a perfect fit for me. I too know Google maps all too well and we use them from time to time, but its my wife on her phone next to me. Each system has its advantages. I will say this, Google maps uses us data and not all of us have unlimited data plans. Also, I drive to a lot of places that are off the grid and there is zero phone service so having a real satellite system is a requirement for me. Your needs may be different. Also, I love having the GPS data on the instrument cluster right in front of me. I find that to be a great advantage.
We are all diffrerent and have different desires and needs. You get to pick, and pay for, whatever system you feel meets your needs. For me having the street and turn information come up right in front of me is worth a lot and I love it and I have used a lot of car nav systems over the years. YMMV

#13 ·
The things I like best about GM are

1. Search: I can find Mcdonalds Near Me or Hilton in Atlanta. I know Garmin has points of interest, but GM is more thorough, updated and easier to access with near me type commands. Also includes things like gad prices when searching for gas stations.

2. Updates: Near me a major interstate construction project was just completed and GM was updated instantly and routing over it. Built-in appears to only have annual uodates. Three years ago a new subdivision near me opened a new street. I reported it to GM and within thirty days they responded that it was verified and added it. This still isn't in 2017 Honda/Garmin maps.

#21 ·
Yes, GM will use the offline data, but it doesn't actually save that much data traffic. GM only requests the bare minimum necessary to display the map, and that data takes surprisingly little space.

One caveat to using Offline Data as a backup is that voice search doesn't work. If you have no data access, you need to unplug your phone, do a text search, and then plug it back in.

#18 ·
Not yet available but very soon it will be expected this summer at least. Last update had a couple of clues and fixes that will benefit waze. As well google have mentioned they were going to bring waze to android auto. I cant wait for that i love that app. The features and the alerts are life saving.

#19 ·
When we need high precision routing or driving directions, Waze beats Google Maps (GM) but GM is slowly including features from Waze .. see http://maphappy.org/2015/09/is-waze-really-better-than-google-maps/

GM also uses Bluetooth while driving so upcoming streets, turn distance, make turn etc are easier than the built-in nav in all our Touring models.

There are of course methods to display GM in full time mode on the built-in display screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.