gas mileage on 2017 CRV - Page 22
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: gas mileage on 2017 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    One thing that will really suck gas in this new Honda is to floor it and let that turbo do its magic. It will make great power, and consume a lot of fuel in the process. When I first got this car I was not thrilled with the mileage. But the more I drove it the better it got. I think that was as much me learning how to avoid the gas sucking activities one can get into with this car. I will go fast, faster than my 2012 2.4 for sure. But speed comes at a price.

I watched it today on a "cold" start. (Its 80 degrees here now!). When I reached the traffic light that is 1.4 miles from my house it showed 18.8 MPG. Two miles later it was up to 28 MPG. The further I drove the better it got. Now, for you math whizzes out there, a simple question. If you got 18 MPG for the first 1.5 miles but after 3 miles showed 28 MPG, what mileage would you have to be getting between 1.5 and 3.0 miles to bring the average up from 18 to 28? Remember, the 28 MPG figure is for the entire 3 miles, so you have to be getting far better than that for that second 1.5 miles to make it come up so much. If the second 1.5 miles consumption was averaging 28 MPG (for that 1.5 miles) the average for the entire 3 miles would be 23 MPG, but you got 28. To reach that your second 1.5 miles would have to be producing around 38 MPG to make the overall average come out right. Of course if my 3 mile trip was on flat ground, steady speed and not over 55 MPH that 38 is totally possible.

I wonder if some of what is bothering people is that now they are seeing "too much" data? That MPG figure you are seeing is a calculation based on a mathematical model of what the car is doing, not by actually measuring the MPG. I tried this test on our 2015 Fit. I left my house on a "cold" engine and drove about one mile. The car showed something terrible for mileage, much like the CR-V does. But we have owned that car for two years and have a pile of data on it that proves it actually gets 35+ MPG in the city and 44+ on the highway. If I were to just watch that trip screen for my data I would be flipping out wondering what is wrong with the car. We calculate the actual mileage the "old fashion way", we fill it up and divide the actual miles driven into the actual amount of fuel we put in. We did that for years on our 2007 Fit. We have lots of data points!

My simple conclusions are:
    1) No car, especially a larger one, will give you wonderful fuel mileage if you only drive a couple of miles.
    2) The trip meter on the car is fun and useful. It can even be quite accurate on a longer trip. But I don't want to look at it on a short city trip of less than five or six miles. It will never be pretty driven those short distances. I should add, no other car will shine at those short distances. From my personal experience with these I rather ignore them on a short trip.
    3) The biggest determination of your car's mileage is you right foot, period. No engineer can change much about that, and oh do they try!
    4) If you really want the very best mileage from a vehicle driving only a few miles back and forth to work, the CR-V (nor any car its size) is the vehicle for you. Take a serious look at a Honda Fit.
    5) If you really think your CR-V is drinking gas, go rent a Ford Expedition or a big Tahoe Chevy and drive one of those on short trips for a few days. You will see how thrifty your little CR-V really is!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I have 2017 EX-L 2WD, I just went 26 miles on I-10W with tail wind and got 47.3 MPG.Name:  MPG screen.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  104.3 KB
    I added the trip screen. It was 48 MPG before I got off I-10 and traveled for 6 miles on surface roads. I am an engineer and have been working 50 years to get the best MPG. This car is smarter than I am. I use 1600-1800 RPM to accelerate to speed and the ECO is always on and I use the ACC for everything. It does a better job than I can. I am very happy with this car.

I did the same trip again with different results. The weather was very hot 107 F rather than the 72 F on the first trip. The Active shutter grille system was full open rather than closed on the first trip, No tail wind and lots of traffic. A/C on full. I barely got 39 MPG.
    Last edited by chadwce; 05-25-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    2017 EX-L 2WD - Going 15 miles on access road from Dulles International Airport to Washington Beltway with acc set at 60, got 45.3mpg. In Washington traffic, getting about 31mpg. I've been following others' thoughts about staying below 2k once up to speed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    2017 Touring FWD. On a road trip from Austin TX to Cookeville TN. Two adults, two big suit cases and interstate driving in the 75 to 85MPH speed. We're averaging 31.9 to 32.2MPG, we're happy with that.

Thanks (Received)
    Checked my "city" mileage today on a common trip I do. Its 5 miles from my house to Home Depot. It has seven traffic lights. If you sit at a red light the mileage will drop like a rock on a short trip. I figured with 10 total miles and 14 chances at a red light this was a fair test for real world. I got 26 MPG on the way over with stops at three of the seven lights, one being a longist one. Coming back I stopped at the half way point at Walmart so I did two 2-1/2 mile short trips. I got 28 on one leg and 29 on the other. Those were 2-1/2 mile legs with a couple of short stops at lights.
    Up in the flat lands of Michigan at 55-65 MPH I hit 37 MPG several times. I think I just checked for my last tank of gas, mostly highway but some city and it was an overall average of 31 MPG.

I absolutely can not complain about this mileage.

Thanks (Received)
    Took my (Canadian edition) 2017 Touring for its first road trip from Edmonton to Banff National Park via Calgary, then to Dinosaur Provincial Park, and back to Edmonton via Calgary (total 1280km = 800 miles). Best case for city driving was 8.5L/100km = 28mpg and for highway driving was 6.6L/100km = 36mpg (with air conditioning on, it topped out at 7.5L/100km = 31mpg). Things I noticed:
    1. Although I don't have enough data to make a conclusion, it seems to me that the fuel economy is better at speeds of 100km/h = 60mph than it is at 120km/h = 75mph and above.
    2. There is definitely a trend towards better fuel economy with each fill up.
    3. I did not notice any vibration issues above 70mph or sluggish acceleration climbing hills/mountainsides (with 4 passengers and luggage), as others were reporting.
    4. I did notice a fairly audible high-pitched whine at speeds above 130km/h = 81mph (sound appears suddenly at these speeds rather than gradually with increasing speed). Any thoughts on what this might be?
    5. I noticed quite a lot of window vibration when driving at highway speeds with the windows partially open.
    6. The ACC and LKAS are truly remarkable.

TRB
    Last edited by tagaravabha; 05-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    Gas mileage will vary by style and habits. I can drive any of the three vehicles I own and get better gas mileage than when my wife drives them.
    Gas mileage really can vary a lot depending on who is driving the car. This is why the EPA is very exact in the way a car will be driven for their mileage tests. All cars are driven on a very strict routine with acceleration at a specified rate, etc. My son was very embarrassed when his wife drove his new Fit and she shamed him on gas mileage. She drives very carefully while he drives like he is in the middle of a race. The data screen showing the large mileage difference really got his attention and now he drives much better. Guess his wife taught him a lesson!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I guess my early driving with the CR-V was 50/50, now it is closer to 60 city, 40 highway. I have not reset my Trip B since purchase. It is showing 3400 miles, 33.5 MPG. A couple cars ago I had a CMAX hybrid and averaged 47 MPG on it with many tanks over 50, that was 600 miles on 12 gallon tank. I think I learned mileage driving on that car. On the CR-V I think it is about accelerating at 2000 RPM to your cruise speed and keep that as steady as you can.

11. Thanksfreshlysqueezed thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Just returned from a 4000 mile trip from Austin, TX up through New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and back - elevations up to 9000 feet. Overall mileage was 37.85 with a high of 42.1 on one leg and a low of 34.9 on my 2017 EX-L 2WD. Most highway speeds were 65-75 mph. Plenty of power from the 1.5L turbo even at higher altitudes. Using the "economy" mode has little effect and mostly left if off. CR-V was mostly flawless with the exception of an occasional malfunction of some of the safety features. Usually turning the CR-V off and on again clears that issue although will take to dealership to have it on record. Safety features also have trouble in heavy rain (and snow in Canyonlands!) and turn themselves off with a message on the dash - usually self-correct as weather clears. The navigation is much better than Honda's older versions - very impressed with it's operation. Pre-loaded many GPS points for places we wanted to stop into one trip which made the trip much easier. Quiet/smooth even at speeds of 80-90 mph. Strong cross winds were felt but easily controlled. We also have a 2010 Prius where we average 52+mpg on highway trips so averaging almost 38 mpg with the CR-V is very impressive given it's size and weight. Very little city mileage so far but would estimate 25 mpg as a reasonable approximation.

13. Thanksfreshlysqueezed thanked for this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEgan View Post
    Just returned from a 4000 mile trip from Austin, TX up through New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and back - elevations up to 9000 feet. Overall mileage was 37.85 with a high of 42.1 on one leg and a low of 34.9 on my 2017 EX-L 2WD. Most highway speeds were 65-75 mph. Plenty of power from the 1.5L turbo even at higher altitudes. Using the "economy" mode has little effect and mostly left if off. CR-V was mostly flawless with the exception of an occasional malfunction of some of the safety features. Usually turning the CR-V off and on again clears that issue although will take to dealership to have it on record. Safety features also have trouble in heavy rain (and snow in Canyonlands!) and turn themselves off with a message on the dash - usually self-correct as weather clears. The navigation is much better than Honda's older versions - very impressed with it's operation. Pre-loaded many GPS points for places we wanted to stop into one trip which made the trip much easier. Quiet/smooth even at speeds of 80-90 mph. Strong cross winds were felt but easily controlled. We also have a 2010 Prius where we average 52+mpg on highway trips so averaging almost 38 mpg with the CR-V is very impressive given it's size and weight. Very little city mileage so far but would estimate 25 mpg as a reasonable approximation.
    JimEgan, Thanks for your valuable info.

15. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread