Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gas mileage on 2017 CRV

156K views 402 replies 192 participants last post by  flipd4crv 
#1 ·
What is everyone getting with there 2017? Do you have AWD? Which engine 1.5 turbo or 2.4. CVT?

Also which speed on the highway are you finding is the sweet spot for the best MPG?

#269 ·
My 2017 CR-V EX with 1.5 engine is 2 months old. Mileage is great. On an open hwy with cruise set on 50 mph I consistently get 45 to 50 mpg. Best so far at 40 mph has been 54.6 mpg. Worst, so far, has been short trip with many stops when I got 29.1. My total mileage is 2300 with a total average mpg of 34.9.

#274 ·
I am only getting 24-25 mpg in mixed suburban driving. Most tanks contain only about 30-40 miles of highway. The biggest contributors to this poor MPG are many short trips (drive 2 miles, park, come back and drive 2 more miles, etc), hilly roads, and apparently my driving style. It takes a lot more pressure on the gas pedal to get this vehicle moving than my prior vehicle which was a Kia Soul+ I always get lower mileage than stated by the EPA on all my vehicles because of the short trips thing, but I am a little disappointed that my CR-V only improved my mileage by 2-3 mpg and I have to really watch my gas pedal usage to even do that well.

#278 ·
EX AWD, frying in the desert... 80% highway driving during the week, but 90% city on weekends.

Wide range for me -- probably 22-23 MPG in the city, and 40 on the highway, though I think the traffic really limits how fast I can accelerate on my daily commute. Will be interesting to see how this car fares next week -- I hear we might hit 120 degrees on Tuesday?

Had a bit of a chuckle when I saw the dash after my last fill up...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Speedometer

#280 ·
EX-L AWD (ECO Off)

I just did my 2nd fill up this morning. Didn't run it near empty since I need to take a longer trip today. Aside from the small fuel tank, it seems like the car reports better gas mileage than reflected when dividing the miles by the fill. At least for my first two here, it reported 0.7 and 0.8 mpg better per the CRV.
Text Font Line Number

#286 ·
I took eco off after the first two tanks. Found that it was easier to accelerate, particularly for merges onto interstate. But your mileage, eco or no, depends more on your foot than any algorithm applied to the car. I found the car to be more enjoyable to drive and my mileage did not decline, at least not enough to notice.

#287 · (Edited)
27.7 over a 2100 mile trip. Two bikes on the rear rack, one bike inside, 3 people on board, gear. Cruise set at 78 mph much of the time.

Did not drive with regard to fuel economy whatsoever, the priority was getting there and back in minimum time without getting a speeding ticket. Fair amount of town driving for 5 days at destination.

Could have done a lot better by dropping 5 mph, using a more efficient driving style in general (not passing trucks as often, etc), using A/C less, and mostly by not having a bike rack out back, which hurts aerodynamics significantly. 70 mph is a lot more efficient than 80 mph from a wind resistance standpoint. High speed plus bikes drags down FE big time.

Bikes aside, speed is huge. 70 mph results in a 17% fuel economy loss vs 55 mph. 80 mph is 28% less efficient than 55, all other factors being equal.

How to sap your MPG by at least 2-3 mpg:

#291 ·
New 2017 CR-V AWD EX.

About 800 miles on it.

Today I took it on a drive up Rt 2/Rt 3 from Lexington, MA up to Nashua, NH. Middle of the day, so not too much traffic. Econ button on. Set cruise control for 63 mph. The idea was to see what kind of mileage I could get with excellent freeway conditions.

I took a snapshot of the dash when I reached my exit, after about 31 miles: 39.5 mpg! No complaints. I'm getting about 30-31 in mixed driving (70/30 freeway/city), driving with my typical somewhat more lead foot...

Vehicle Car Auto part Odometer Gauge

#300 ·
I have been very happy with my MPG. I have submitted two screen shots One for a trip of 206 miles for 44.9 MPG and one for 1025 miles for 38.6 MPG of general driving including 150 miles of pulling a trailer.

View attachment 91314
View attachment 91306
Thank you for your post. If I need to buy another car I will buy CRV again. My 2017 CRV AWD Touring is a highly valuable vehicle among all my fleet of many Accord. I love my 2014 Accord V6 EXL and my 2017 CRV tremendously.

#293 ·
At first 1,000 miles for 2017 EX-L CRV, 1.5L Turbo--Using Econ setting about 1/2 time. At least once per day do 20 round trip miles at about 69 mph & minor city type driving each end. Use cruise control when I can. Current mpg meter reading 27.3 & currently adding another .1 mpg every 1-1/2 trip. Compare to previous 2014 Ford Focus Titanium which over 3 years averaged 30.0 winter & 30.4 summer. CRV is heavier & boxier so the 2 averages are comparable.

#295 ·
I have a 2017 EX-L FWD driving 80% city and often in local traffic. Not stop and go all the time but definitely stop lights and stop signs. My average MPG is horrible at 16 MPG which is the same as my hulking 3-row 2008 Mazda CX-9 with a V6. I always drive with ECO on.

My sense is that for city driving with traffic, my big and little SUVs performance the same. For highway cruising, MPGs is in the 30s for the CR-V where as the Mazda averages 22 mpg.

#297 ·
Yes, I've driven with ECO off. The car is definitely more responsive but I can't imagine the fuel mileage would improve.

When I drive 50%/50% city and highway with LA traffic, I almost reach 20 mpg. The CR-V replaced a 2006 Acura TL V6 which used to average 19 to 22 MPG with the same type of driving and drivers. I have to say the CR-V is underperforming expectations but maybe it just isn't cut out for high traffic duty.

#298 ·
Did my longest trip today - around 400km in normal mode driving at 90kph for the most part. Got 6.1 l/100km (38.5 mpg). Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.