Tachometer rev upon startup
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachometer rev upon startup

crv|oc Rank: Member

Tachometer rev upon startup

Has anyone else observed when starting the engine that the Tachometer display shows revs to full redline before dropping back to idle?
    It doesn't seem that the engine is actually revving (thank God) - just the display bar.
    Current: 2017 Touring Lunar Silver Metallic, 2015 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
    Prior: 2008 CR-V EX-L, 2007 Civic LX, 2005 Accord EX-L V6, 2002 Accord EX-L V6, 1998 Passport EX

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

It's just for show. It's the digital equivalent of a full needle sweep u get when u start some cars.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Yep, it's just for show. Lots of cars with actual mechanical gauges do that to demonstrate that the gauges work, and to reset the motor.

I'm thinking of turning the tach off... it doesn't really serve any purpose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info.
    Prior: 2008 CR-V EX-L, 2007 Civic LX, 2005 Accord EX-L V6, 2002 Accord EX-L V6, 1998 Passport EX

Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    I'm confused about that statement. It serves the one purpose all tachs serve, tells you how many revs per minute your engine is spinning just like any other tach. I find it helpful, it educates me about my engine: where I am mostly in terms of revs, how much work do I typically ask my engine to do, how much does the engine spin at certain speeds, how hard does the engine work in certain mountains and so on. Seems useful to me.

I guess I feel it's unnecessary since there aren't any actions you can take as a result. It says how fast it's turning, sure, but since it doesn't express anything about torque, you don't actually know how hard it's working, just how fast it's spinning. (And you can tell "faster" vs. "slower" by sound already.) A tach is important in a manual to help figure out your shift points. An auto without even those silly paddles? Not so much.

I guess I feel it's unnecessary since there aren't any actions you can take as a result. It says how fast it's turning, sure, but since it doesn't express anything about torque, you don't actually know how hard it's working, just how fast it's spinning. (And you can tell "faster" vs. "slower" by sound already.) A tach is important in a manual to help figure out your shift points. An auto without even those silly paddles? Not so much.
    Yeah I can see that. I guess it comes down to preference.

Yep, it's just for show. Lots of cars with actual mechanical gauges do that to demonstrate that the gauges work, and to reset the motor.
    Hmmm. None of my non-digital tachs needle sweep on startup, and it would be impossible for a mechanical tach which typically is cable connected to the distributor. I guess that's why I was alarmed to see the CR-V tach do it.

Not all non-digital tachs are connected by a cable. Some are still electrically run. My non-digital motorcycle tach does the full sweep when I turn the ignition power on, even if the motor has not been started yet.

How do I turn on this feature on my 2017 Touring? My dashboard looks boring with just the speedometer showing..lol.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast