Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 CRV roof rails and cross bars review

105K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  hawkap 
#1 ·
Hi all 2017 CR-V owners,

I consider to buy a 2017 CR-V LX AWD in the following weeks but I have hard time to figure out how I'll use my bike roof racks on it. As a first step, it seems obvious to me that the genuine Honda roof rails is required.

Starting from there, it is either possible to add Honda cross bars OR 3rd party cross bars, such Thule or Yakima. According to their websites, Thule and Yakima do not offer products for 2017 CRV yet. Honda cross bars are not an option to me since they do not protrude outside the roof rails.

I wonder if any of you found satisfactory solutions with 3rd party supplier cross bars, with comments, pictures, etc.

Many Thanks,

Nicklaus

#5 ·
Roof rails are quite expensive i bought my at the dealerships for $350 but normally go for $400 collage honda has them for $300 got them at the dealership since i got a $200 gift card only to be used at their place. I did the install myself not easy 4 hours but thats because lack of good instruction. Will get the cross bars thats another $200 but that will be in the spring. I also have a bike rack. If all you care about is moving your bike around their are cheaper alternative. Tow hitch and install a tow bike holder.

#7 ·
I was thoroughly disappoint by what I got when I ordered the roof rails and crossbars(guess I should have looked more closely before ordering them)for my 2017 CRV. Just for context Im a super satisfied former owner of a 2005 CRV w rails and bars. (Unless I ordered the wrong thing) The problem I see is that the front to back rails are not high at all AND arent spaced off the roof between the anchor points. One issue is that means the only tie points are the cross bars. On the 2005(and almost all other miniSUV ive seen) you could tie much farther forward and back for example when i tie my xmas tree. Second the low profile rails mean any flex on things reaching across them means it will rest on the roof.

#11 ·
I have the OEM rails and crossbars on my EX. They are exactly what I wanted and look and function great. I mostly use them for 2 kayaks carried on J hooks. I also have a roof box which I have not tested, but expect no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#14 · (Edited)
I tried it. A narrower box will likely fit with a kayak, but my super size box will not.

2 kayaks= no problem
1 kayak & narrow box = probably, but not tested
1 kayak & very big box = NO GO

There you have it [emoji12]

Naked

J hook

Bottom of J hook space with thumb directly under screw to show room (plenty of space in my opinion)

Kayak mounted

Huge roof box and kayak (does NOT fit)

Almost but doesn't fit

And for anybody curious, the easy way to store 2 kayaks. Adapted bicycle hoist for kayaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#16 ·
Anyone know the front rail clearance on the stock CRV roof rails? I'm wondering how big of a box I can get.

Also since its slightly on topic, I got roof rails/cross bars from collegehillshonda shipped ($450 ish + $50 shipping) to my door, then had a local dealership install it for $76. Pretty solid deal, much cheaper than what the same package the dealership was asking.

#20 ·
I bought my 2017 with rails and crossbars - the latter a mistake since all of the Yakima gear I have (box, cage, ski, and bike mounts) don't fit. No bother, right? Sold the crossbars and bought new Landing Pad 19s. Sweet. Except the predrilled crossbar mounts are so close together I can get the roof box on, let alone far enough forward to prevent the hatch from opening more than 20%. I also can't get bikes mounted. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the mount holes drilled in other locations? Has anyone done this? Any tips? Thanks.

#21 ·
I just went through the same discovery a few weeks back. I also bought the landing pads but was able to use my old round bars. I sold my old cargo box because of the hatch issue. I'm planning on buying the Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 which is maybe the only box that works and will clear the hatch. My bike racks still work with my round bars. Yakima makes well designed products, though overpriced IMHO. There's not much competition in the market so that's part of the issue, in addition to well structured product obsolescence. I'd be leary about drilling holes in other places unless you can remove the bars and see the existing conditions on the inside are like the Honda fitment.

#23 ·
I have the OEM rails and crossbars and none of the three sky boxes, space case, space boosters fits. The spacing is only 26 inches apart; too narrow and the design is too far back toward rear of car. New larger wing on tailgate hits box. Honda could have easily made a crossbar system that is adjustable just like toyota or subaru. A real expensive disapointment and I have not come up with a solution yet

#27 ·
Thanks for the great pics of the Roof cross bar and your roof add ons. Couple of questions for anyone that can answer:

1) Are the crossbars fixed to the rail so you cant move them?
2) It looked like you had a big Yakima box. Does that fit on the crossbars by itself? I'm curious if you can move the Yakima connectors up enough on the box so it does not block the hatch from opening or hit the roof fin.
3) Assuming it does fit, are the cross bars strong enough to hold the box when full (i.e. it doesnt flex)? It says its rated for 165 lbs.
4) Any other outdoor equipment transporting issues/challenges?

I helped my Mom buy a 2017 EX-L last December and am now looking at replacing our 2005 Pilot EXL with a 2017 CRV EXL. I figure the roof box will give us extra space if we really need it. Also planning on having a class 3 hitch installed so we can use our 4 bike hitch mount bike carrier.

Any input appreciated as we evaluate buying the CRV.

#28 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle
I used the old Inno SU clamp-on rack instead of the factory rails. Previous gen CRV owners used it too, but mine was transfered over from my 2nd gen Honda Fit. The crossbars and tower spread is at it's maximum, but it fits and holds strong - or I wouldn't risk my beloved kayak or anyone behind me. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sport utility vehicle

#32 ·
View attachment 96497 I used the old Inno SU clamp-on rack instead of the factory rails. Previous gen CRV owners used it too, but mine was transfered over from my 2nd gen Honda Fit. The crossbars and tower spread is at it's maximum, but it fits and holds strong - or I wouldn't risk my beloved kayak or anyone behind me. View attachment 96489
Phrancis,

I have a few questions regarding your setup.
1) What is your crossbar spread?
2) What are you connecting your front tie downs to?
3) What Inno model numbers are you using?

I didn’t want the OEM setup because it only gives a 27.5 inch crossbar spread which is nowhere enough to support my 14.5 foot canoe, not kayak. My previous car provided me with a 52 inch spread which was enough to safely carry my 17 footer, so I’m spoiled.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

#29 ·
I'm considering purchasing a 2017 CRV and have similar questions.

I would like to carry one/two canoes or a long/large cargo box (92" long). Based on my investigation and forum searches, the Honda OEM rails wouldn't work. Yakima at this time is still working on getting a mount system for the 2017 CRV, though they say they're getting close. Let's assume they come up with a good mount system.

Has anyone carried two canoes on a CRV. I used the long bars on an Odyssey minivan and the 2 canoes fit quite nicely. On a recent trip with the 2 canoes, the winds were quite gusty at times but thankfully the canoes stayed on (van was pushed around a bit). I'm wondering if the CRV can handle carrying two 18' canoes (weight about 120 lbs). Will it be stable enough in normal and/or windy driving conditions? Is having a two-canoe wide rack on the CRV reasonable?

For my large cargo box (92" long), I'm wondering if I can get it on the roof without having the hatchback hit it. It would have to be placed far forward I'm sure. I'm assuming the yet-to-come Yakima mount system for a bare roof would handle the box. Would the box hang over the front of the roof too far?

Any comments/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

#30 ·
I bought the OEM crossbars (20% off accessories coupon from dealer) and a Thule Motion roof box. It has adjustable "hooks" so the box can be mounted forward or back on the CRV to clear the hatch. I love it and it is very functional. I have used by crossbars for a roof box and kayak.
If I was the above posters, I would sell the Yakima and get a Thule. If it is a few years old, you would most likely get 75% of your money back.I tried buying used, but they were same price as new practically.

#39 · (Edited)
I was able to get time to install the Thule cross bars last night. Install went pretty easy. There were some small plastic plugs with a star pattern on the CRV rails from the factory and a small flat head screwdriver was enough to unscrew the plugs. Instructions from Thule are not great, like trying to interpret a pictograph. However, I'm pleased with the look. I was able to reuse my existing 47" AeroBlade bars and lock cylinders..

Here's some pictures I took this morning..

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5JMrzY

They do sit a little high, but I do like that they will keep a load ABOVE the fin antenna and they are much less bowed than the factory cross bars. I've piled 1x6 decking boards on the Thule (when on my sportwagen) with no problem.

#40 ·
Looks great.Couple of questions:

1) What other parts did you need other than the bars and the KIT3166?

2) Did the mounts screw into the bars using existing holes or did you drill new ones?

3) This mount only attaches to the bar, not the roof, right?

4) Are you using any rooftop carriers?

5) Can you share a picture with your canoe on top?

6) I've got Yakima Bars and a bracket compatible with a 2005 Pilot. Did you have any luck finding any Yakima mounts that work with the CRV?

Thanks for the helo

Dave

#41 ·
Hi Dave, I’ll try to answer this below

Looks great.Couple of questions:

1) What other parts did you need other than the bars and the KIT3166?
The 450R Footpads are also needed. I had locks and bars.

2) Did the mounts screw into the bars using existing holes or did you drill new ones?
You have to use existing holes in flush roof rails. Just remove the plastic screws.

3) This mount only attaches to the bar, not the roof, right?
Correct. The mount attaches to the flush roof rail via the factory screw holes.

4) Are you using any rooftop carriers?
Not at this time. Probably will get Kayak carriers, and maybe a ski box.

5) Can you share a picture with your canoe on top?
I don’t have a canoe, but sure one would fit.

6) I've got Yakima Bars and a bracket compatible with a 2005 Pilot. Did you have any luck finding any Yakima mounts that work with the CRV?
Pretty sure Yakima has had a roof rack kit for 2017 CRV, but I’ve always been a Thule user and had the bars and locks to reuse.

Thanks for the helo

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.