Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed - Page 6
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Good luck getting this sorted as this issue would drive me nuts as well. I suspect it is a software glitch and hope that a fix comes along soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    Well, if I have engine brake it does a lousy job. Doesn't keep the speed anywhere near where the cruise control is set. Husband's diesel truck has it and the speed stays extremely close to where the cc is set.
    Cruise Control and engine braking are completely independent of each other. Engine Braking is a byproduct of the physics involved with closing the throttle, restricting air, gear ratios rotational speed and mass and a bunch of other things that someone more machanically inclined can explain.

Cruise Control, by design, allows the cars speed to go beyond your cruise control limit while coasting or below it while climbing. This is a design, not a bug.

The bug in this thread is about unnecessary throttle fluctuations that oscillate in a timed manner causing surfing if he car on flat roads and not keeping a set cruise control speed as a result unless you hit "SET" instead of "+", "-" or "RES" - a combination of software bugs going on.

I threw together some junk code to demonstrate the behavior of the cruise control, enter any number in the text box and try it out: make sure you see the difference between entering a
    number divisible by 5 and not, and so on:

https://www.w3schools.com/code/tryit...e=FE38P8EB6KMD

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

A couple days ago I disconnected the battery to reboot everything and since then I really don't see any more fluctuation with the cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordionman View Post
    A couple days ago I disconnected the battery to reboot everything and since then I really don't see any more fluctuation with the cruise.
    Meh, I've tested it in so many 2017 CR-Vs at this point and all do them that I'm convinced a reset won't do it. You might need to go out on a long flat stretch of road to notice it.

Can you drive at 25, 30, 35, 40, 45... and so on (any number divisible by 5) and hit "SET" and have it set at that speed? None of the cars do it. They "SET" at 26, 31, 36, 41, 46... and so on.

It can be done with the "+" or "-" but then if you do that, the car fluctuates.

I purchased a 2017 Honda CR-V EX AWD on March 13, 2017. On March 27, while driving on a flat, straight road with the cruise control set at 62 MPH, I noticed that the tachometer would regularly fall 200 RPM and then rise 400 RPM. In addition, the instant fuel economy bar graph would rise to 40 MPG when the RPMs fell and fall to 20 MPG when the RPMs rose. Finally, when the engine accelerated, I could feel the surge. After several seconds, the oscillation would repeat. Ive had many cars with cruise over the years but Ive never run across anything like this.

When I got home, I Googled this glitch and ran across your post pointing out that pressing the cruise control Set button on any speed divisible by 5 will work correctly; for example, pressing Set at 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, etc. will result in the RPM and Speed holding steady. Speeds not divisible by 5 will result in the oscillation, as will using the +increment and -decrement buttons.

I tested your suggestion and I concur that my CR-V works exactly as you described it. In that the cruise control system can hold the engine and speed steady (under certain restrictive conditions) indicates that the system does work. I agree that since it does not work under all conditions seems to point to a software bug. Unfortunately, this bug seems to have infested Honda for some time:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86...ay-speeds.html

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/17...controlin.html

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-su...and-down.1269/

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-c...-cold-2169476/

Garoto, I agree with you about throttle response in cruise control. Mine fluctuates similarly, I didn't know if it is because of an inherent problem with the small engine's ability to handle throttle input smoothly, the CVT performance or the tuning parameters of the cruise control. Other cars I have owned including 2 Accords have never had these throttle variations to the extent of this car. These other vehicles did have larger engines and no CVT. Any response from your call to Honda?

Interesting. We just went on a 500 mile round trip over Easter weekend, mostly interstate highway miles. It was my first extended period behind the wheel of the car. I definitely noted that the cruise was very, very consistently one MPH lower than where I set it. I set it at 78, it says 78 for the set point, but the speedo hangs out at 77 90% of the time.

I did not notice the fluctuations in engine RPM or calculated MPG, but wasn't really paying attention to that. We had a tailwind both ways, so it wasn't due to a headwind or crosswind. Most of the freeway is flat.

Definitely an annoyance, and definitely not an inherent issue with digital speedos, as some have proposed. My 2012 Camaro has a digital speedo (and a head-up display--I miss in the CR-V and any other vehicle I drive, but that's another thread!), and it is spot-on when showing the speed that I set the cruise at and the speed maintained (with variations for hills, etc, of course).

Nice catch, garoto.

I might have to give this a try, Accordionman.

911medic - thanks for doing what you do for a living

If you hit "SET" it will hold steady and have a 1mph difference in the speed of the cruise control icon and your actual speed.

If you hit "RES", "+", or "-" to pick a speed, it will fluctuate 1mph up and down like clockwork. It is definitely not a CVT or 1.5T issue, it's a software issue with whatever sets the speed internally. I think it's getting set to 76.4367384 instead of 77 and it's having a hard time maintaining it to that level of precision.

I wrote a little JavaScript behavior that I shared here (see link earlier) that kind of demonstrates what I believe is happening. Feels free to play with it.

brbeyer - Honda just thanked me for my time and annotated my concern. I highly recommend everyone who experiences the issue to call. They said they've never heard of that, I told them "well me neither, thats why I'm calling ya!" always call Honda and report it, so that they know what you're experiencing and hey actually do something about it. A lot of folks experience it and don't care enough to bother - us who care end up getting the shaft because Honda won't do much about it until they hear about it enough.
    Last edited by garoto; 04-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast