Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

Cruise Control Doesn't Hold Steady Speed

My cruise control is doesn't work well. It doesn't hold a steady speed. I say 75mph and it keeps fluctuating been 74 and 75 like clockwork because the stupid computer keeps releasing and reapplying the throttle. Something is wrong. But it's very distracting to see the numbers so that. I can see the throttle release and reapply in the fuel economy view and in the tach. I could imagine that's not good for the engine either.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by garoto; 03-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Ok. I confirmed what the issue is.

If you're driving 75, and press "SET" to set your current speed it WILL hold it steady. This is the ONLY scenario under which cruise control holds steady, with one caveat the cruise control icon will say "76 mph" even though it holds it firm at your current speed on the speedo of 70mph.

Under any circumstance that you select a Speed using "RES", "+" or "-" and that's not your current Speed, the system will be "off-by-half". You will choose "75 mph" and it will mark "75 mph" in your cruise control icon but the speedo will keep fluctuating between "74 mph" and "75 mph" like clockwork because in reality, you selected 74.5 mph internally and it keeps hunting for that. In the fuel economy view, you can see the throttle activity it keeps applying and releasing excessively.

Clearly it's a bug and hopefully Honda will release an update to fix it. So, if you want steady speed, drive up to that speed, and then click "SET" and ignore the speed marked under the cruise control icon because it's wrong. Your speedo will be at the right Speed. Don't pre-set ("+" or "-") your speed or reset ("RES") to it, that won't work.

Honda? I hope you read these.

Videos coming soon.
    Last edited by garoto; 03-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Also, clicking "SET" on any Speed divisible by 5 will display under the cruise control icon with an additional 1mph even though it will hold it steady at the speed that IS divisible by 5 (75 displays as 76 under the cruise control icon, but is set as 75'and the speedo shows 75)

This is not the case when you "SET" your Speed at 76 mph. Both the speedo and the cruise Control icon displays "76 mph". However, at any Speed, you can only hold steady speed by using the "SET" button. Pre selecting a Speed using "+". "-" or "RES" will NOT hold a steady speed, using those buttons causes RPM and Speed fluctuation of 1mph.
    Last edited by garoto; 03-20-2017 at 12:49 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I've noticed the 1mph difference at times between where the CC is set and the digital readout of the speed, so far I've not experienced the computer bouncing between speeds like you describe. Ours only has 220 miles on it though, I'll keep an eye on the CC system and let you know if I notice anything wonky.
    2017 Touring White Diamond Pearl
    2004 EX Eternal Blue Pearl (200,000 miles)

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I am more inclined to believe it is the digital speedometers that give the knowledge of constant change that has always been there. Your normal analog speedometers with 1-140 were not in small enough increments for the driver to see 1 MPH increments. All cruise controls have to have give in their speed. There would be no way for them to be exact given inclines or even hills.

I don't view this as a bug; no car with cruise has ever been able to instantly react to varying conditions to exactly hold the setpoint.

And it doesn't hurt the engine to modulate the throttle; it's not as if it's going from idle to full-throttle and back on a continuous basis. If you drive without cruise, your foot does the same thing (or your speed varies.)

Really, I've never really paid attention to it, as I don't check the speedometer when the cruise is on; the whole point of having cruise control is to let the car take care of modulating speed.

The points made here seem correct, but one other thing: are you in "Eco" mode when this happens? Eco mode does a number of things to improve fuel economy, one of them is allowing more drift in adhering to the cruise control speed selected.

This happens in any mode, eco, standard, or sport, sport + eco, etc.

This is absolutely NOT normal. Variations can and will occur. This is clock-work oscillations, car applies and releases throttle like clockwork every 2-3 seconds when the cruise control is set from the "+", "-", or "RES". However, it holds steady as a rock when you are driving at your desired speed and hit "SET", in that case, throttle is firm and variations are almost non existent.

This is all on flat roads down I-5 freeway in California.

Don't dismiss this issue too fast, check your car or Honda will never bother to fix crap like this. It's BAD.

You'll see the issue when I post videos.

crv|oc Rank: Member Wild and Free's Avatar
    Ha Ha I was getting mad the first time I drove ours thinking there was something wrong with the cc as well until I realized that I was following a car that was going really slow so I backed the follow distance down to one bar and that took care of that issue.
    2017 CRV EX-L Metallic sandstorm that replaced a 2014 VW TDI Jetta that was bought back by VW. 2011 Nissan Murano cross cabriolet. 2005 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 quad cab. 2010 Dodge 5.7 Hemi 1500 4X4 quad cab. 2011 Bennington 22' triple tube pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild and Free View Post
    Ha Ha I was getting mad the first time I drove ours thinking there was something wrong with the cc as well until I realized that I was following a car that was going really slow so I backed the follow distance down to one bar and that took care of that issue.
    That's not it. This is flat road with no cars ahead of me or far enough to not trip the cruise control.

Remember, it holds solid if the speed is set using "SET". Anything else causes it to go bunkers with the throttle oscillations.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast