What happens with collision mitigation system when...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happens with collision mitigation system when...

crv|oc Rank: Member

What happens with collision mitigation system when...

What happens when you have the Collision mitigation system on, and someone cuts in front of you? What if they crowd you/encroach into your lane (usually a quick horn honk will get them back in their own lane when they drift, just wondering if the crv slams on the breaks?

Also, what happens if you drive by someone who is parked on the side of the road but protruding a little bit into your lane?

I'm trying to figure out under what circumstances the system Slams on the brakes. in the examples I listed above slamming on the brakes could be really dangerous.

I'm still trying to decide between the CRV and the Kia Sorento, I know those two are in slightly different categories. I like the way the Honda drives a lot better but I'm concerned about the Collision mitigation system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Depends on how fast you are going, and how quickly your car is approaching theirs. It starts by just putting "BRAKE!" in big orange letters in the middle of the dash, progresses to beeping, and if you still don't do anything, it'll hit the brakes for you. (At any of the three stages, it may amplify your braking efforts because people are very often more timid than they should be with the brake pedal.)

I get the "BRAKE!" about once a week, and I think it's beeped at me once. It's never braked for me. It doesn't seem to care about lane-drifters at all, unless they are being really sloppy.

I wonder what's going to happen if a cat or raccoon jumps out in front of my moving CRV. I don't want to be rear ended because the CRV is trying to avoid a cat!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have had the "BRAKE" light come on a few times due to people cutting in front of the car. It has not applied the brakes yet however so I can't speak for that. I do know that when a dumb-@ss college student just stepped out in front of us (lost in his i-pod music, talking on his phone or pot dreams..who knows) the BRAKE warning came on real quick! So, I know a human size creature will set it off. As for a cat or dog....don't know and hope not to find out anytime soon.

I've had the brake like come on and the car stop itself for a car that cut in front of me. I was impressed. I think I still would have applied the brakes in time, but I'm not sure. The issue is being rear ended, and I'm really just concerned about that when the car brakes for animals. I got to think this was a tough design issue for Honda. I don't know what the computer braking system is designed to do in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by thdave View Post
    I wonder what's going to happen if a cat or raccoon jumps out in front of my moving CRV. I don't want to be rear ended because the CRV is trying to avoid a cat!
    Maybe hope the person behind isn't riding too closely? I hate it when people tailgate...

Maybe they can add an "animal lover" setting for people that want to brake for small animals...

Seriously, though, there are some situations where the car cannot make a better choice than a human, whether through lack of sensors or through decisions made in the software, and not being able to override the car's decision will be a problem. Consider a scenario where there is a smallish object in front of you but a semi bearing down from behind at 20mph or more faster than your speed, with no room for you to change lanes or go on the shoulder. If the object is a raccoon, the better choice is probably to chance hitting it rather than being seriously injured by the semi. If the object is a baby, most people would probably stop. If the car detects that object, it's going to stop regardless.
    Last edited by Punchy; 04-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.

CMBS didn't see three deer that jumped out in front of my CRV on a clear night in pitch black conditions. Driving 70 late at night in Texas heading back from Big Bend National Park. From the right, out of nowhere, a deer darted out in front of the CRV. I slammed on the brakes, swerved to the right to avoid the deer and barely missed two others that were about to follow the first. There was no warning or BRAKE!! notification... On a different day someone did slam on their brakes in front of me and I went around them on the shoulder - and as I was about to pass them, BRAKE!! lit up, beeped and the CRV did slam on the brakes until I passed the car.

CMBS will definitely slow the car down quickly if it detects something. Cars that cut right in front of you don't appear to set off the system. Cars that are a carlength or greater in front of you that suddenly slow down - or that you are accelerating towards will trigger CMBS - however in my experience if you have your foot on the brake it doesn't trigger - even if you are coming up on the other car at a high rate of speed.

I intend to turn off the collision mitigation system before I get in my CR-V again.

Yesterday, I’m driving around 35 miles per hour when the road surface abruptly changed. That caused the vehicle to slam on the brakes. Fortunately nobody was tailing me, but I won’t let that happen again. Truly a terrifying experience.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread