Consumer Reports full results in... - Page 5
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports full results in...

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    [QUOTE=COMMANDOE;1010746]For used vehicle reliability there is NO better resource. I have subscribed to them for 20+ years I am absolutely DYING to know what you consider a great source of automotive information... SURE they are no enthusiast publication but that isn't there mission or purpose.... NO ONE tracks history of vehicles reliability to the extent they do .. that is FACT. They don't accept advertising and communicate to 1000's of garages, repair facilities etc. I personally would buy NOTHING they list as USED CARS to AVOID or new vehicles they simply don't recommend. I think if you do you are rolling the dice.. No offense to you and your opinion. (to each his own) but they have FAR more auto testing knowledge and resources than anyone on here.. I do take their new vehicle take with a grain of salt, everyone has opinions. BUT for used reliability they are the BIBLE of publications...[QUOTE]

I was once a big fan of CR until I learned better. The problem with their reliability fabrications is that they don't weigh the problems properly. Major problems and minor problems seem to be weighed pretty equally to come up with their opinions. A car with several minor glitches is rated lower than another car that has more serious but less frequent engine and transmission failures. I have owned several cars on the USED CARS to AVOID list (have one now) and they have been reliable and good cars.

Their results are based on the input from members and many auto makers have been punished by CR because the subscribers never learned how to use the radios and they complained.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Their results are based on the input from members and many auto makers have been punished by CR because the subscribers never learned how to use the radios and they complained.
    Have to agree with you. CR's car surveys are lengthy and a little confusing. The average owner may do like I did and just forget it. The gripers will probably take their time to put a little jab in here and there.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    I have a problem with surveys done by owners. On one hand they should be the most reliable source of information. But on the other hand it seems that people who are happy and content with a product are the least likely ones to complete a survey. On the other hand someone who has a complaint will loudly voice it to anyone who will listen. This is a proven fact and it shows in surveys all the time. But, I spent my working career in the automotive industry and got to see the other side of this stuff. Not only that, I have looked at CR over the years and just had too many disagreements with what they thought.

We are all different and see the world through our own eyes. If you trust CR then go with what they say.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hans471+ View Post
    I have a problem with surveys done by owners. On one hand they should be the most reliable source of information. But on the other hand it seems that people who are happy and content with a product are the least likely ones to complete a survey. On the other hand someone who has a complaint will loudly voice it to anyone who will listen. This is a proven fact and it shows in surveys all the time. But, I spent my working career in the automotive industry and got to see the other side of this stuff. Not only that, I have looked at CR over the years and just had too many disagreements with what they thought.

We are all different and see the world through our own eyes. If you trust CR then go with what they say.

One may want to read many automobile critics, You Tube, real life/ road tests... on the same vehicle model to have comparative views. So far, Honda CRV 2017 gets above average to very good ratings by many automobile critics. This 2017 CRV has been nominated as one of the best small/ middle-sized SUVs in its class.

Thanks (Received)
    When you look at buying comparisons, at least the one's I've looked at, the top 2 cars in this class have consistently been the CR-V and the CX-5. Consumer Reports lists the Forester #1, RAV4 #2, CR-V #3 and the 2016 CX-5 as a buy but further down the list. They have the 2017 CX-5 on the track.

This is surprising given the salesman's assertion that Consumer Reports had the CR-V #1. It's almost like the salesperson had no idea what he was talking about but that can't be given the training and professionalism exemplified by the ranks of car sales professionals.

As someone worn out with the noise of my 2015 CX-5 I've been going back and forth between the two cars for awhile now. They're both really good but I think the Honda is a smidgeon better and have been starting to lean that way more and more. That said, the Mazda GT is a crazy good value too. There's no shame in either car. Now would I want to own a RAV4, or even a Forester, well, I can't get there on either of those but CR sure did.

Thanks (Received)
    Each time I have test-driven a Subaru, I'm left a bit puzzled as to why they are so highly praised in magazines like CR. My experience with Mazda is similar: often praised by Car & Driver, but at least until recently, had very annoying NVH characteristics (in my opinion) that were a complete deal-breaker. Honda was always the "happy medium" for me.

As for the validity of CR's recommendations, I always take anything with a grain of salt. In a statistical sense, it is probably best to sample a large number of such magazines, consumer reviews, etc. and go with the median impression in terms of noise, drivability, etc. There will always be outliers whose impressions are far afield, of course, as cars are like a lot of other things: everybody's tastes or preferences are different.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 33RPM View Post
    Each time I have test-driven a Subaru, I'm left a bit puzzled as to why they are so highly praised in magazines like CR. My experience with Mazda is similar: often praised by Car & Driver, but at least until recently, had very annoying NVH characteristics (in my opinion) that were a complete deal-breaker. Honda was always the "happy medium" for me.
    The 2017 CX-5 is quieter than earlier versions. Mazda claims 1.3 decibels and I'd have to agree. They did a really nice job refining the car. The earlier CX-5's are great in the city, quiet even, but once you hit the freeway, and/or drive where I drive as often as I drive it today, it gets old. It's at the point where I'm turning off the radio because that just adds more noise.

Thanks (Received)
    The Consumer Reports CRV road test has one sentence which explains why they rated it 3rd instead of 2nd:
    “Honda doesn’t make advanced safety gear standard on all CR-Vs, which hurts its Overall Score and ranks it below the Toyota RAV4 in our ratings.”
    However that doesn’t help explain the Forester being rated 1st.
    We owned a 1998 Forester which we bought new in 1997. It was the most troublesome car, new or used, that I have ever had the misfortune to own. And after reading the Forester and Outback owners forums over the last couple of years, we were considering an Outback, it seems that nothing has changed. The thing that I find amazing is that these owners talk about these problems like they’re common to all cars, which just isn’t true. So if they get a reliability questionnaire, they are going to give a good rating because they just don’t know any better.

Thanks (Received)
    To paraphrase some dead politician: "Consumer Reports publishes awful reliability ratings, but they are less-awful than any of the others."

They are certainly more reliable than reading enthusiast forums, asking mechanics, etc. Absent some group actually driving a ginormous fleet of vehicles, and maintaining strict records of problems and repairs, CR's survey's are about the best we can expect.

Thanks (Received)
    I found this website a few years ago, IMO the data they have compiled is by far more comprehensive than Consumer Reports. While Honda is not at the top of the rankings, they beat out most other brands, and the cumulative data on the CR-V shows the model to be far more reliable then other vehicles in the same class.

http://www.dashboard-light.com
    2017 Touring White Diamond Pearl
    2004 EX Eternal Blue Pearl (200,000 miles)

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast