2016 HR-V to 2017 CR-V?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 HR-V to 2017 CR-V?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

2016 HR-V to 2017 CR-V?

Hello! I'm a visitor from over in the HR-V forums, and own a 2016 Milano Red EX-L Navi HR-V that was purchased in April 2016. I originally purchased the HR-V vs. the CR-V because I lived in the city at the time and liked the styling and smaller size of the HR-V somewhat better than the last generation CR-V. Moreover, the HR-V came with goodies like paddle shifters, flip-up rear sears, and an electronic brake hold, which were not available on US model CR-Vs at the time. Fast forward to 2017, and the 5th generation CR-V is a vehicle that I might have purchased over the HR-V for various reasons. I now live in a different state and commute about 45 miles per day for work via a rural interstate. I like the HR-V, but I've found myself wondering if the new CR-V would correct a few things that I don't:

a) The HR-V is a dog, especially on the highway. The 1.8L R18 engine from the last generation Civic has little or no torque to speak of (127lb/ft @4300RPM!), and when combined with a CVT that is overly-eager to dive into its overdrive ratios the nanosecond one lets his/her foot off the accelerator., makes for a frustrating and "busy" highway drive on anything other than a flat road. This can be ameliorated somewhat by manually shifting down with the paddles and/or using "sport mode," but the power is still only marginal for passing on a two lane road, and fuel is wasted needlessly.

b) The road and wind noise is far more than I'd like on the highway, and can be really jarring on certain grooved cement surfaces. Much of that probably points back to the Michelin Primacy tires Honda used as OEM, but it's not like the vehicle is that quiet at any point. The car is so loud on the highway that I don't even bother with the radio or voice commands any more. In town, the noise is not bad, however.

c) The headlights are awful, though a swap to LED H4s (Phillips) made specifically for that sort of housing helped somewhat. Still not perfect.

Has anybody personally driven both the HR-V (EX or EX-L) and new CR-V Touring? I'm most interested in whether the new turbo has enough low-end torque to make most sorts of driving feel effortless, and whether the interior is significantly quieter on the highway. (My preference would be an Accord V6, but the AWD and hatch utility would be missed). Thanks for any feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    we got an HRV as a loner from the Honda dealer when our CRV was in for service,. Horrible car. Felt cheap and did not like it at all. we would never buy one. The CRV 1.5 motor is in another league too. No comparison

Thanks (Received)
    I just traded my '16 HRV EX which I drove for 25k mi for the '17 CRV Touring -- While I basically liked the HRV; the engine with my biggest issue; good MPG but terrible performance; I also passed on the'16 CRV due to styling.... hated the looks.
    The HRV would have been great if it had the 1.5L Turbo in the CRV ; I would still be driving it today....
    I miss the paddle shifters which I used from time to time and miss the HDMI interface which allowed me to stream Netfix from my iphone while parked.
    To answer your question the 1.5 in the CRV is excellent ; much better acceleration, less noise, great torque at low rpm. MUCH more drivable and overall many more options as expected for about $12k more
    Love the CRV!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I've driven the HR-V, the turbo CR-V, and the Accord V6.

The Accord V6 is in an entirely different league than the other two as far as power is concerned. No comparison. Much faster, much more powerful car. You want effortless, that's the way to go, hands down.

The turbo CR-V is substantially peppier than the HR is, especially when the HR is the CVT version. I've also driven the manual HR, and it is entirely adequate, feels much better than the auto version.

It is all a matter of perspective. I was somewhat underwhelmed when test driving the turbo CR. It was OK, but nothing special power-wise in my opinion. The turbo Civic I drove over to the Honda dealer feels a lot punchier than the turbo CR-V, for example. Both feel stronger than an HR. A V6 Accord will blow the doors off a turbo CR, and will handily outgun a turbo Civic, too. I thought the base 2.4 CR felt just about as good as the turbo in most conditions. Granted, I'm only at 1000 feet altitude. At 5k feet, the turbo would shine.

The NVH characteristics of the new CR-V are far superior to the HR. The CR, even in LX trim with the 2.4, feels more premium than the HR, which comes across as somewhat tinny.

I wouldn't characterize the turbo CR as providing effortless performance. The engine is small, fairly gruff (in the Civic, too), and it has to work hard to motivate 3500 pounds of vehicle. It can do it just fine, but it isn't loafing while it's doing it like an Accord's V6 is. The 1.5 doesn't make sweet sounds like the Honda V6 does, either.
    Last edited by 88r100rt; 05-18-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    My wife got a 2017 HR-V EX about a month before I got my new CR-V. She loves it. It's great for her, as she doesn't do a lot of driving like I do. I've driven it and it's OK for what it is - has 4-wheel drive, backup camera, blue tooth for her phone, cruize, park hold, sunroof. It's not a CR-v, but then it would be too much car for her.
    But I LOVE my new CR-V!

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    We had a 2007 Fit and held on to it for over 100,000 miles. Before replacing the Fit with the newer generation Fit we waited as we had read about the new HR-V (Which is built on a Fit platform just as a CR-V is built on a Civic's). When the HR-V finally made it we saw one on the first day they became available. We were underwhelmed a bunch. We immediately went out and bought a new Fit, which we dearly love to death.

The HR-V is, to me, under powered where as our Fit feels like a little sports car. We liked the interior room of the HR-V but thought is was like a baby sized CR-V. So, we are very happy with our Fit and '17 CR-V combination, the best of both worlds.

Thanks (Received)
    I appreciate all of the great comments! Sounds like I am hardly alone in my (growing) disappointment for the CR-V's smaller sibling.

One of the factors that kept me away from the CR-V, aside from really disliking how the rear of the vehicle looked on the 2007-2016 model years, was actually size-related: it's more car than I've ever needed (or still need today). I'm a small guy, travel alone 99.999% of the time, don't have dogs, don't have outdoor hobbies, and never schlep kids around. My last automobile was a VW Golf, which was relatively quick and fun to drive (due to much better low-end torque, for one thing), but an absolute nightmare in nearly any other regard. Poor reliability, lousy dealer experiences, ridiculous repair costs, and poor resale value sent me towards Honda. (I also looked at luxury cars and a few other German makes, but I place a higher value on fuel economy and practicality than having a fancy badge to flout. ). AWD and ground clearance are a must, given the horrible roads where I live, and storing winter tires is not a realistic option right now. Hence, my proclivity towards Honda's CUVs vs. an Accord or similar.

As an aside, I am one of those Europhile car guys who would like nothing more than a manual diesel AWD wagon, but let my cheap and practical tendencies win! Now I have a CVT and less torque than a broomstick leaning against a wall...

I suppose a test drive of the 2017 Touring AWD might be in the offing. To bad Honda won't stick the 1.5T in the HR-V!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    If Honda put the 1.5 T in the HR-V AND the Sensing Package I would have had a tough decision to make. If the HR-V had a 1.5 T with a manual transmission in an EX-L even without Sensing I would have been an HR-V owner.
    2004 CR-V EX Silver 5 speed manual 291,000+ miles
    2004 Pilot EX-L White/Green 193,000+ miles
    2017 CR-V EX-L White Diamond Pearl /Black Leather Sunroof and Hood Deflectors, OEM Rubber Mats, Cargo Tray, Mud Flaps, Rear Bumper Protector, Rear Hatch Sill Protector, complete LED interior upgrade, LED back up lights, Illuminated Door Sills and Yellow Halogen Fog light bulbs.

Thanks (Received)
    one big difference thats not being considered is the interior size of the cr-v , it makes the accord useless when it comes to hauling people of anything else not to mention missing ten miles per gallon comparing it to the v-6 accord.. it's the same with the hr-v concerning interior room , once you have a car with interior room ,it's very hard to do without. it's like having a mini minivan with 15 more miles per gallon

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffgriz View Post
    If Honda put the 1.5 T in the HR-V AND the Sensing Package I would have had a tough decision to make. If the HR-V had a 1.5 T with a manual transmission in an EX-L even without Sensing I would have been an HR-V owner.
    Honda recently introduced a 1.0turbo that has debuted in the Civic in other markets.

Perhaps that's the engine the HRV and Fit need https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...urbo-sr-review

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast