Water getting inside during carwash?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water getting inside during carwash?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Water getting inside during carwash?

Hi guys,

So I went to my local gas station and tried their touchless carwash. When the strong waterjet spray went over my moonroof, some water went inside the cabin and actually wet my head just a little. I am 100% sure that the moonroof was completely closed prior to entering the carwash station.

Not sure how the moonroof is designed to seal out water when closed. I was thinking maybe the water pressure was so strong that it pushed down the rubber seal on the edge causing the water to enter the cabin?

It's been raining a lot last week as well and I haven't notice any leaks so maybe it's just the way it is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    I would never accept any leak from the moonroof as normal. A touchless carwash has nothing over a good nor'easter or tropical depression, so it's likely you would see more leaks from a strong windy rainstorm. Perhaps one of the gaskets is a little out of alignment? I would definitely be visiting the dealer.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    True, let me verify again. I'll go to that same Touchless carwash today see if I get some leaks again. Anybody else could verify this with the jet pressure carwash stations?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Thanks (Received)
    If the gasket is a little off, it may only occasionally leak. Opening/closing the moonroof may either take it out of position (or put it back in place as well). There would be no problem having the dealer check that it's secured properly and not subject to be shifted out of place. Another test run won't necessarily give the same results if you've operated the roof panel.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Like all sunroofs, ours have a "tray" surrounding them that has a drain to catch rain that leaks past the gasket. However, these drains are not particularly large, and can clog.

Open your sunroof and look at the leading edge of the surround; you'll see a small hole in each corner. Dribble some water in them and ensure they are clear and that the drain tubes are not somehow broken or disconnected. (I do not know where they drain to.)

If they are clear and the tubes are good, it's possible that they just aren't large enough to handle the water blasted past the sunroof gasket. A gasket meant to keep out rain is not necessarily going to be able to resist a pressure-washer slowly passing overhead.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    The gasket around the glass is not water tight but should slow the flow of water such that the drains can easily handle it. But it sounds like there may be a gap large enough to cause a problem. A quick check is to use a business card and slide it around the gasket. You should be slip the card between the gasket and roof and run it around the window. You should feel a drag while you do it. If you find a spot that is loose it is a potential trouble area.
    If it passes the business card test look to the drains as the trouble area. Since the vehicle is new I doubt if there is gunk in the drain tubes but a kinked crimped tube is possible
    Last edited by Traylaw; 05-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread