SRS light but no dtc
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SRS light but no dtc

crv|oc Rank: Member

SRS light but no dtc

Hello,

I have a 2002 CR-V (LX 2wd). SRS light came on. I have the service manual and used the special SCS connector to try and get the dtc code (i.e. count the blinks).

But there was no stored code. In other words the light stayed on steady and according to the service manual this is "normal".

So I used the service manual and SCS connector to reset the SRS indicator. Light went out and stayed out. Several days later the SRS light came on again. But again there was no stored dtc. Reset the light. Stayed off about a day and then came back on. Still no code.

Without a stored dtc to guide a repair, I'm reluctant to throw it at the mercy of the dealer.

Has anyone on the forum experienced a similar situation?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by dverbeck View Post
    I have the service manual and used the special SCS connector to try and get the dtc code (i.e. count the blinks).
    Did you short the SCS terminal at the DLC to access the flash codes, or did you use the SCS jumper tool to short the MES connector at the under dash fuse panel?

Shorting the SCS terminal at the DLC (which does not entail using the SCS jumper tool) is the correct method of accessing flash codes - the jumper tool is used to erase SRS DTC memory, and for another function to initialize the OPDS on equipped vehicles.

If you are correctly entering flash diagnostics by shorting the SCS terminal at the DLC, then you should reset the SRS and monitor charging system voltage and capture the voltage when the SRS re-illuminates. High charging system voltage (16V +) can cause an SRS indication with no stored DTCs. Alternator replacement would be indicated if you capture a high charging system voltage condition.
    Success is 99% failure
    -Soichiro Honda

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorcycle Riding in West Virginia

Hi Honda Tech,

Thanks for the reply. I was attaching the SCS connector to the MES to make the system blink the DTC via the SRS light. But based on your question, I referred back to the Service Manual and I can see what I did was incorrect. I had mistakenly assumed that hooking up the SCS to the MES would ground the SCS line.

But now I'm not sure how to proceed. As I read the second step (pg 23-24 of 2002 CRV manual) it says:

"2. Connect the Honda PGM Tester to the DLC and follow the Tester's prompts in the 'SCS' menu to ground the SCS line"

Is there another way to ground the SCS line without the use of a PGM tester? Perhaps grounding a certain pin on the DLC?

Any specifics would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I did some googling and found out that jumping pins 4 and 9 of the DLC will ground the the SCS line and hopefully get the SRS light to blink out the DTC.

I plan on fashioning a jumper out of solid core residential wiring.

If anyone has done this before and can add any helpful tips or precautions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

SRS troubleshooting

Hello,

I am reposting a thread I originally placed in the Maintenance and Service sub-forum. I probably should have posted it here in the Problems & Issues.

Here is a link:

SRS light but no dtc

I think I may have figured out a course of action but any feedback from more experienced members would be helpful.

Thanks.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I did some googling and found out that jumping pins 4 and 9 of the DLC will ground the the SCS line and hopefully get the SRS light to blink out the DTC.

I plan on fashioning a jumper out of solid core residential wiring.

If anyone has done this before and can add any helpful tips or precautions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    I tried this with a paperclip. My brother (who does this all the time on his 00' Accord) attempted to jump pins for a MIL light on my V. The only problem was he counted backwards and jumped pin 16 and 4 by mistake... don't do that. Luckily there was no permanent damage, just a blown fuse.

See this thread Flash code using paperclip??? (poor man's code reader) The DLC actually has very small numbering on the pins, make sure you jump the right ones (4 & 9) and you'll get the flash code.

thud105,

Thanks for the precaution, I'll look for the little numbers.

This should be a nice weekend project. I hope I don't get an SRS module failure - they sound expensive. I hear that some component failures (seat belt retractors??) will be covered by Honda via a longer warranty. But I want to be armed with the codes before I go to the dealer.

I was able to dump the DTC (9-3) which is a faulty driver's side seat belt switch.

Sure enough, I could make the SRS light at will by slowly withdrawing the seat belt from the buckle. The switch would make a clicking noise but the circuit still indicated the belt was still latched and immediately the SRS would light.

It makes sense this would wear out considering the number of times we have buckled up in the last eight years. I've ordered a new buckle assembly for $152 (two day delivery).

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I was able to dump the DTC (9-3) which is a faulty driver's side seat belt switch.

Sure enough, I could make the SRS light at will by slowly withdrawing the seat belt from the buckle. The switch would make a clicking noise but the circuit still indicated the belt was still latched and immediately the SRS would light.

It makes sense this would wear out considering the number of times we have buckled up in the last eight years. I've ordered a new buckle assembly for $152 (two day delivery).
    If you take it to Honda I believe they fix this for free.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements