'D' Light (Drive Light) Blinking 2003 CRV
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'D' Light (Drive Light) Blinking 2003 CRV

crv|oc Rank: Member

'D' Light (Drive Light) Blinking 2003 CRV

Anyone know what this means? In the manual, it says take it to Honda. I was wondering if it is something I could work on myself, or if it is just a maintenance reminder? Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I'm pretty sure it means you have a transmission problem . You might even be operating in a "limp" mode. Meaning that the torque converter might not lock-up or 5th gear might be locked out.

I'd take it to a Honda dealer or a transmission or independant shop that works on Hondas.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

Thank you for your reply. My wife had the transmission fluid changed,but not thru Honda or with Honda ATF. Could this be the reason?? It says to use only Honda ATF.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Not Good

Two things come to mind, not using Honda ATF is a big no-no, but was the transmission power flushed? Honda says explicitly not to power flush their transmissions. Contaminants that are in a harmless location can be flushed into the working parts of the transmission and problems result. The flashing D is a warning signal that there is a transmission problem. Sorry. Below is Honda recommendation for fluid changing.

Honda Auto Trans Flush...

You could try having the flushing procedure noted above done, but I am not sure that with the flashing D that it will help. If it does, it will save you lot of money, if it doesn't your going to waste about dozen containers of ATF. If you are so inclined the above procedure is a fairly easy DIY. Where it tells you to do all the odd running instructions, just replace all that with a two to five mile drive and put the transmission through its paces. Draining the transmission only removes about 1/3 the total fluid. What the procedure above does is drain, refill with fresh oil, then mix the old and new in the transmission and repeat the procedure I believe 4 times. After 4 changes you will have replaced about 82% of the old fluid with new. Further changes suffer from the fact that you are basically dumping fresh oil and have a reduced return for your effort. It is imperative that you use Honda ATF. If it fixes your problem, great, but with the flashing D, I am not so sure that it will cure the problem.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

I have been changing the ATF fluid. One more change and I'm done. I took everyone's advice and went to Honda last night. I had to drive it around til the D light flashed, so they could get a reading on the computer. I guess it doesn't save the codes for that. Anyway, turned out to be a 3rd gear pressure switch. They took care of it right away. Cost $203.00 . Much better than a new transmission. Not only did the D light stop flashing , but the service engine soon light is out now, too.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements