fast tire wear
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fast tire wear

crv|oc Rank: Member

fast tire wear

My 2008 V is AWD. The rear tire wear is much faster than the front. The rear passenger tire won't even last 12,000 miles. Does anyone know if there is an issue with alignment on this model??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Is it wearing evenly? What make is the tire? Is it same make as in the front?

fast tire wear

they are bridgestone. The originals didn't last 15,000 because I didn't rotate. But, the passenger rear tire was worn to a dangerous point. The other rear tire was very worn. And, the two in the front were just fine and would have kept running for several more miles. Honda only adjusted the cost of the tires, not the alignment. So, I had it aligned - but the passenger rear tire is wearing again very fast - visibly more in just 8000 miles. Any thoughts??

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    For that affected tire does it wear evenly? If so, double check if the tire is not dragging. I suspect that it is dragging. After the car has been driven feel if the brakes is hot. Was anything done before this happened?

Otto

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    There was a post here that indicated a fix for the tire wear, just by loosening the suspension mounting bolts then re-tightening? SEARCH for "Tire Cupping"
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

i've noticed that one of my rear tyres is wearing unevenly (greater wear on the outside).

I had assumed it needs re-alignment. It has not happened before som maybe I bumped it - unusual for real whels

What does "dragging" mean?

I had the same problem on my 2009 CRV. Rear tires on mine were going to need to be replaced by 15,000 - 20,000. I'm a good driver - I can usually get 50,000 + out of tires even crappy ones. I took it to the dealer, and they said there was nothing wrong even though fronts were like 7/12,7/12 and backs were 6/12, 5/12! Dealership assured me no problem, lets see what it looks like next oil change.

Took it back 3000-5000 miles later - 6/12, 6/12 front 5/12, 2/12!?! Needless to say I was furious. Dealer then told me I needed to have tires replaced on rear axle because you can't have it uneven!!! WTF. I was was very angry since I asked them to figure it out before because it was wearing unevenly.

...After much arguing (they kept saying it was my driving), complaining, and calling corporate (who does nothing btw). I got the dealership to align my tires correctly - and buy me one tire. I replaced one myself because it made sense to me at the time.

In my experience - my tires were wearing TOO fast because they were TOTALLY misaligned. I had one tire off by almost 0.5 degree! For reference, your car is considered out of alignment at +/- 0.04 degrees.

Now, doing fine, even my crappy worn rear tires have only worn about 1/12 in the last 25,000 miles! I'm about 8/12, 8/12 front and 5/12, 5/12 rears at ~ 40,000.
    Last edited by izmelda; 01-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by jedwardes View Post
    i've noticed that one of my rear tyres is wearing unevenly (greater wear on the outside).

I had assumed it needs re-alignment. It has not happened before som maybe I bumped it - unusual for real whels

What does "dragging" mean?
    Greater wear on one side sounds like alignment. See carbuff2's post. Dragging brake is one that does not release properly and continues to slow the wheel down, which of course causes more wear on the tire and pads. I think the brake pads would wear out first though and I think you would have smelt them too.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements