1998 Honda CR-V Clock Not Working
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Honda CR-V Clock Not Working

crv|oc Rank: Member

1998 Honda CR-V Clock Not Working

My digital clock in my 1998 Honda CR-V is not working I have removed it from the dash and I was wondering is it a possible do it yourself repair? I have read elsewhere that it needs to be soldered inside. Or does anyone know where I can get a new clock and replace it?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

It can be repaired by the soldering method that you read about. There are several people on E-bay that does this. It's about $15, you send them your clock, they fix it and send it back. I had to do this with mine also. My clock has been working ever since.

I saw that on Ebay too. I was wondering how reliable that would be. The plastic case seems like it will come apart but I was reluctant to try for fear of breaking it.

Thanks again!

I have a 174,563 miles on my CR-V. I have some lifter noise but it won't hurt anything. That CR-V just goes and goes and goes. I have had the regular maintenance peformed on it, timing belts, oil, tires, etc. At one point in time I had 4 Hondas in my house, Odyssey, CR-V, and two used Accords.

I just ordered a brand new Honda Insight. I am giving my CR-V to my son to drive to Texas.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Just send it out to get it soldered. Cheaper than buying a gun/solder and if you are anything like me something horrible will happen like the cheapo radio shack gun will melt the circuit board (ask why I use this example...).

And yeah they do just go and go. Just make sure that the lifter noise isn't from failure to have the valves adjusted. It is something like every 30-40k IIRC. I dunno I had it done on my Gen 1 as soon as I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
    Just send it out to get it soldered. Cheaper than buying a gun/solder and if you are anything like me something horrible will happen like the cheapo radio shack gun will melt the circuit board (ask why I use this example...).

And yeah they do just go and go. Just make sure that the lifter noise isn't from failure to have the valves adjusted. It is something like every 30-40k IIRC. I dunno I had it done on my Gen 1 as soon as I got it.
    Okay I will bite why do you use this example?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmank View Post
    The $7 soldering gun I used from radio shack just gets super SUPER hot and ruined the circuit board of a $100 part for my Contour, I barely even touched the board and that was that. Live and learn. Basically if you are going to be soldering on circuit boards you really should have a nice gun which will cost alot more than sending the dash clock out to someone on the evilbays to get done.

You can also get stuff done like have a different color LED installed or a reverse film put on it so the numbers are black and the background is lit up brightly etc...

MECP Audio Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmank View Post
    which one? For the DIY clock fix, it's not bad, and it has been pictured and documented a lot with walk throughs, (I did it twice myself) and for the valve adjustment it needs to be every 30k miles to not ruin the head. If it's not done, please do so before giving it to your son. Also if the rear diff fluid hasnt been changed in a while, if your is awd, do that with honda fluid only, and if it makes noise, otherwise your ok.

Besides the clock and the valves, and the diff fluid, everthing else with the first gen is pretty standard. Most people forget there is a cabin filter, and it doesnt get changed for a decade, but other than that, it's just a big civic.

I sent my clock out to be repaired to one of the eBay people. Hopefully it will be returned some time this week.

Well got my clock back from an eBay guy and installed it. It is working great. It cost me $21 I do believe.

Great, glad to hear you got it back in working order!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements