Programing the key HONDA CRV EX 2008?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programing the key HONDA CRV EX 2008?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Programing the key HONDA CRV EX 2008?

Hi,

I just lost one of the Honda original keys.
    I still have the other one but we need both keys becasue sometimes its my wife who leaves earlie to go pick up the kids in school.
    I called the dealerships but they charge a fortune just for the key $85-$110 plus $95 for "programing".

I saw that I can order the key online or/and have it cut by local locksmith, but the programing needs to be done by the delear.

However I aslo heard about a method of programing aditionla remotes if I have the original one.

Since I have one of the original keys can I follow this procedure http://www.ehow.com/how_5763773_prog...e-key-fob.html to program the second key fob or do I have to go through dealer?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

You can program the remote by yourself but the immobilizer chip that starts the car will need to be programmed by the dealer.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo83 View Post
    You can program the remote by yourself but the immobilizer chip that starts the car will need to be programmed by the dealer.
    But how the third key (valet key) is very simple an it doesnt look it needs any chip or programing but starts the car and I can drive with it. Or am I wrong because it does have the chip immobilizer?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo83 View Post
    You are right, programing of the immo. chip is necessary and can be done only by the authorized dealer.
    I called several dealers and pretty much prices vary for the key but all of them chharge $95 for programing. If you are on this situation do not setlle for what your dealer tells you to pay, call the others on the area.
    On my case the dealer near my job asked $110 just for the key and the one nera my home $60 almost double.

Frank

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    As anyone actually succeeded in programming a remote in a 2007-2010 by following these instructions,
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5763773_prog...e-key-fob.html
    I realize that the chip immobilizer can only be program by the dealer.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    When you pay the dealer to register the new key the
    process also programs the remote.

Unless you expect to find the lost key you may want
    to have it unregistered so it cannot be used to steal
    the car.

If you can find a private garage that specializes in Honda
    vehicles they may have an HDS and charge less to program.

See below:

Immobilizer System
    Immobilizer Key Registration
    NOTE:
    The HDS is required for registration of the
    immobilizer keys.
    Programming the immobilizer also programs the
    keyless transmitter.
    Check for aftermarket electrical equipment that can
    cause problems with transponder operation.
    The immobilizer control unit-receiver can store up to
    six immobilizer Keys.
    Add one new key/Keyless transmitter
    1. Have a registered key, a new immobilizer key, and
    the first password from the iN system.
    2. Connect the HDS to the data link connector.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON (11).
    4. Select "IMMOBILIZER" from the "SYSTEM
    SELECT" menu.
    5. Select "Add and Delete keys", then "Add 1 key".
    6. Do the registration according to the instructions on
    the HDS screen.
    7. Check if the engine can be started by the newly
    registered key.
    Add and Delete keys/Keyless transmitters,
    Then select Delete or Add keys
    1. Have all registered keys, all new keys, and the first
    password.
    2. Connect the HDS to the data link connector.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON (11).
    4. Select "IMMOBILIZER" from the "SYSTEM
    SELECT" menu.
    5. Select "Add and Delete Keys", or "Delete or Add
    Multiple Keys".
    6. Do the registration according to the instruction of
    HDS screen.
    7. Check if the engine can be started by all the
    registered keys.
    Last edited by Gravy; 04-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.

you need all keys to be programmed for the imobilizer and the remote function to be done at the same time - if you have a key that has been lost it would be best to get the remaining keys reprogrammed so the lost key will no longer be recognized by your immobilizer circuit.
    "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Dr Emmett Brown, BTTF
    2006 EX M5 - 49.5K miles -- Homelink, Curt Hitch, OEM trailer harness, Mud Flaps, Yakima Roof Rack, Glove Box switch extension - TSB04-064, wheelskins (Brn), Magellan 4040.
    2007 Gl Blue EX - 36.2K miles - Mats, Cargo Tray, Remote Start, Garmin 260, Yakima Roof Rack, wheelskins (Blk)

Can just the remotes be programmed? I managed to screw mine up trying to turn the ignition on, then pressing the unlock button, turn the ignition off, 3x in a row, then turn ignition on again and press and hold unlock button, and my doors all locked, but didn't unlock, like they were supposed to, which says that the remotes are now in program mode.

Don't follow the instructions on eHow.com

Now I have 3 remotes that don't work and need to be reprogrammed, and I really don't want to have to go to the dealer to do this. The car starts, and immobilizer works, but the remotes are useless.
    Last edited by TDIboy; 03-26-2011 at 08:04 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by TDIboy View Post
    Can just the remotes be programmed? I managed to screw mine up trying to turn the ignition on, then pressing the unlock button, turn the ignition off, 3x in a row, then turn ignition on again and press and hold unlock button, and my doors all locked, but didn't unlock, like they were supposed to, which says that the remotes are now in program mode.

Don't follow the instructions on eHow.com

Now I have 3 remotes that don't work and need to be reprogrammed, and I really don't want to have to go to the dealer to do this. The car starts, and immobilizer works, but the remotes are useless.
    yes you can program the remotes yourself.
    The instructions on eHow.com sound right to me. perhaps you're doing it wrong.

I know it took me a few tries to get into the programming mode, but once i was in, it was super easy to do the rest. Try going through the process a little slower, at first i was pressing the buttons as fast as i could with no success. It was not until i slowed down and put 1 second pauses in between each press that i was successful.
    Switchblade Key Crew #1

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

Just checked Key prices at three dealer's eStores.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruatchi View Post
    yes you can program the remotes yourself.
    The instructions on eHow.com sound right to me. perhaps you're doing it wrong.

I know it took me a few tries to get into the programming mode, but once i was in, it was super easy to do the rest. Try going through the process a little slower, at first i was pressing the buttons as fast as i could with no success. It was not until i slowed down and put 1 second pauses in between each press that i was successful.
    All claim MSRP for the Remote is $52.42 and Valet $16.57.

One discounts them to $46.23 and $14.61, including cutting.

My dealer will program all 6 keys for the one $95 charge. He also says you MUST bring all keys you want to work because the "System" disables all keys not programmed at the same time.

AND, my '09 would not allow more than 5 keys! Dealer was stunned and wouldn't even take the 6th key back. But then it had been cut to my car and would open the door, just won't start it. It was Valet so no big deal; BUT, when I got to the cashier I discovered he had waived the $95 programming fee.

Yes, he has been servicing my Hondas for years. And I had a bunch of accessories on the same ticket.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements