Brake lights work Tail lights dont... Help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake lights work Tail lights dont... Help

crv|oc Rank: Member

Brake lights work Tail lights dont... Help

I bought a used CRV from a dealer in AS-IS condition. Everything runs fine except for the fact that the tail lights do not come on with the rest of the running lights. The brake lights work fine so it isnt the bulb. One thing i have noticed upon opening the tailgate is that i have some loose wires after the license plate bulb. Just from the lenght of these wires it would appear they attach to the latch mechanism in some fashion. Ill try and get a picture of it in the near future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Have you double checked the bulbs? Most vehicles these days use a dual filiment bulb...One for the running lights and one for the brake lights. A few bucks for a couple of bulbs could save you a lot of grief. When trouble shooting electrical issues always eliminate the obvious first.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skinz View Post
    The brake lights work fine so it isnt the bulb.
    Not true...the brake lights use a DIFFERENT filament than the running lights.

Listen to the The Lizzard.

Also, if a trailer hitch is (or was) fitted, those "extra" wires could be from a trailer wiring kit. Be sure to disconnect the trailer wiring as your next troubleshooting step.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

I have a similar problem - we have checked and no power gets to the bulb for the park lights - brake lights work ok, flashers work ok , just no park lights - thought it might be the column cluster switch - but the dash lights up ok when the park lights are on ???

I was wondering if a relay had blown - but dont know where to look - all other functions appear to be working ok... (except of course the clock which is temperemental)

kris

ps - a new park light switch (on the column) is plenty $ and must be ordered - 3 weeks delivery minimum !

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Before you invest in a switch, have you verified that the switch isn't sending out power? Do you have a wiring diagram? Are you comfortable using a VOM?

thanx for prompt reply jreagan , VOM - if that is a multimeter / voltage tester - I have a digital and an old style and know whats what - no no wiring diagram and yes I can read it.

the switch in question is behind the steering wheel & I was told the wheel had to be removed to replace the switch ??? so that means re-setting the abs switch (assuming the system recognizes the airbag is disconnected ?

so no - I havnt done that yet - was hoping it was a simple relay problem but the box of relays isnt clear as to which does what - as far as I have looked.

kris

oops not abs , srs indicator !

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Do the front parking/marker lights come on? That would tell me at least that the column-mounted switch was working. Have you checked the fuses? (use the meter, not your eyes just in case).

Power not getting to front or rear lights - but , as I said , the dash lights up...

Is there a relay ?

kris

sorry - kids makin a racket...

fuses swapped around but havnt checked them with a meter - seems OK

is the fuse on the primary trigger circuit , or the secondary power circuit assuming the relay is in the middle ?

kris

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements