Rattle in front suspension
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattle in front suspension

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Rattle in front suspension

Our 97 CRV has developed a rattle noise coming from the front suspension when a bump is traversed. Had all 4 Tie rod ends replaced, and an alignment done. No ball joint wear present, and the car drives fine and doesn't wander at highway speeds. Before we spend a ton of money on new shocks and springs, (the mechanics suggestion), has anyone hit this problem and found a simpler solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Worn front stabilizer links are fairly typical suspension noise generators, and will make a pretty "loose" sounding clunking rattle, especially when driving over bumpy pavement - like in a parking lot. Some sway bar noises can also come from worn bushings where the sway bar bolts to the frames.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
    Worn front stabilizer links are fairly typical suspension noise generators, and will make a pretty "loose" sounding clunking rattle, especially when driving over bumpy pavement - like in a parking lot. Some sway bar noises can also come from worn bushings where the sway bar bolts to the frames.
    Good point about the bushings where it bolts to the frame. I think many people overlook those when they replace the end links.

The links will tend to make the noise (clunk) over uneven bumps rather than a bump like a speed bump in a parking lot when you hit it equally with both front (or rear) tires at once. They are tough to diagnose as you cannot simply grab one and shake it to feel any play.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Hi...

I had a similar problem with my '99 CRV. I posted about it awhile back. We redid the struts, the sway bar end links, checked several bushings, and they were all still in good shape (at 120,000 miles!) but we replaced them anyway. It was still clunking/thunking when going over bumps. Finally, we took it to a garage for a front end realignment and new tires and they were going to check the bushings that sit on top of the struts. They said they looked fine and didn't replace them. However, when I got my car back, the clunking and thunking was pretty much gone. I don't know if something was just loose, and it got tightened up in the process of checking the bushing, or what. Maybe it was the front end being aligned. I don't know. It's the only problem I've ever had with the car and it now has 125,200 miles on it.

check the upper tables they tend to wear out

I have a 2000 with these same symptoms...trying to figure it out....
    2008 BMW 135i
    2000 Cherokee Sport
    2000 Honda CR-V

Any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by 2RedV's View Post
    Good point about the bushings where it bolts to the frame. I think many people overlook those when they replace the end links.

The links will tend to make the noise (clunk) over uneven bumps rather than a bump like a speed bump in a parking lot when you hit it equally with both front (or rear) tires at once. They are tough to diagnose as you cannot simply grab one and shake it to feel any play.
    This is exactly my problem, and it's been suggested to me to replace the passenger side lower control arm ($125) and the upper control arm flange bolts where the upper control arm connects to the body.

When I hit both wheels at once, no clunk, but when I'm on an uneven surface like a gravel road, the clunking is there. I'm definitely going to try the end links.

*****UPDATED*********

I changed the sway bar end links and the clunk is gone!!! I bought the new links from Napa Auto Parts for $17 each, and ordered the bushings for the sway bar mounts for $8 each but they didn't arrive on time. I pulled the mount bushings and "modified" them to tighten them until the new ones arrive.

YES! I am soooooo stoked such a cheap fix solved such an irritating problem!
    Last edited by jparsons; 09-20-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: UPDATED

jparsons- is there any way you can provide me with part #'s

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder98 View Post
    jparsons- is there any way you can provide me with part #'s
    The NAPA counterpersons will be able to get you the correct parts...

Usually they will sell more than one quality. Don't buy the cheapest...the middle or top line parts will last longer (and may even come with grease fittings to assure longevity).

If you look at the listings on RockAuto.com you can get an idea of what is available... but I've found that once you include shipping, the NAPA parts are about the same price. (If you have AAA, you can get a discount from NAPA too! )
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

It's OK if you disagree with me.
    I can't force you to be right.

Thanks Carbuff2

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements