Rearwheels leaning in
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rearwheels leaning in

crv|oc Rank: Member

Rearwheels leaning in

Hi everyone, newbie here. I'm looking for help for my wifes 96 crv. A couple of months ago I had to get the large rear suspension bushes changed. When I picked up the car(it was empty) I noticed that the rear wheels were leaning in at the top, The mechanic(not a Honda dealership) told me this was normal. However in the space of a couple of months both new rear tyres are now destroyed, as they are worn out on the insides. I'm thinking along the lines of the bushes fitted incorrectly(is there a right way???)Any thoughts please.
    Regards to all
    John S

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

rear tires lean

my tires lean in too. all the ones have seen lean too. these things eat tires. kep it a;igned and the right amount of air in them. rotate them too

Whenever you have suspension work done that involves diassembly and replacement of parts, you should always have a 4 wheel alignment done as well. If the shop that did the repairs did not do this, they only did half the job.

If it were my vehicle I would take it to a shop that has the proper equipment and have them do the alignment, you should not be wearing the tires in a short amount of time if all 4 wheels are properly aligned.

On my last CRV I put new tires on just after I got it along with having the shop do a proper alignment. The tires were rotated at every oil change (synthetic oil with 6000 mile change intervals), and when I traded it in 3 weeks ago for my '10, the tires barely had any signs of wear after close to 25,000 miles of daily driving.

Thanks for replies. I had the four wheels aligned when I had
    4 new tyres fitted but did not give the wheel alingement a second thought when I had to have the suspension bushes fitted a couple of months ago. The car is booked in for alignement tomorrow. An expensive lesson as it will cost me 2 new tyres. Once again many thanks.
    John S.

tire lean

I too have this problem. I suspect this is causing excessive noise and tire wear (tire cupping) on my 2009 crv. I had a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer but no change. Set tire presure to 32lbs. I did not notice or check for the lean before the alignment.

I've looked at other crvs and it seem like a design flaw. It makes sense that all wheels should be straight for proper wear and tire noise.

Any guidance will be helpful

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    This seems to be a common problem with 2006 and newer Civic and CRV products. Negative camber. It cups your tires and they become noise makers. My 06 HCH2 required new type C upper control arms and a complete alignment to stop the problem. All done under warranty. I suspect my 2006 V has the same issue. I am working on it now H

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I have seen a 2008 or 2009 CRV traded in at a Toyota dealer - had a look at the rear and could see a very noticable leaning in of the back wheels which is a high neg camber. I know of a guy that had a 2007 CRV who traded it in on a new Hyundi Santa Fe since Honda would not correct the problem ( no rear camber adjustment) A while back, a fellow with a 2007 CRV had the neg camber problem corrected with the dealer loosening all the suspension bolts and retightening - not sure of the exact method used - that is was the suspension loaded or hanging down with no load on it. Our 2005 CRV is ok

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    CR-V's have never had adjustable rear camber. the toe is adjustable.
    if the toe and/or camber are out of spec, expect to replace tires frequently.
    if the rear camber is way negative, out of spec, which i think is -3/4, then either something is bent of something has moved. it's best to find out what's happened.
    if the camber is to be adjusted, there are aftermarket camber adjusters available from multiple vendors. these are generally used by those who have lowered their vehicle. they cost ~$125 for a pair for the rear.

Hi guys....I am having immense frustration with this negative camber issue with my Honda CRV 2005 with just 132,000 kms on it...here is my story and the posting I posted yesterday as:

I own a Honda CR-V 2005 with 132,000 kms on it. The vehicle has a negative camber in the right rear wheel (leaning in at the top). I have been having opinions from various mechanics including Honda Dealer ship (Out of all Honda dealership had the most strangest answer that does not make sense to me saying I need $1500 expenditure to make). I took it to the local alignment center and they informed me to replace the coil springs only and that will restore the camber back to its original readings. But….there are postings here that even after replacing the coil springs and struts the camber issue still remained in some cases. I am very frustrated with this situation because even if I change the coil springs (I have one pair now lying in my CR-V for replacement but am still searching for the right answer), replacing the springs with re-alignment of vehicle is about $500-600 expenditure going down the drain. I wonder how the hell Honda does not realize and to fix this problem when there are tons of postings and protest for this very problems. Now I am looking for effected person who ever replaced the coil springs and had a good result, please share if you have any.

Thank you.
    Another posting describes this with pictures........I found at least one thread here on the subj sag in the rear, camber is out. This may never come up if you drive in the city, on good pawed roads and do not load the rear. However this quickly becomes an issue when driving on bad roads most of the time (and possibly overloaded). Similar user forums in other countries are full of reports on this problem even for cars just out of dealership (almost every fifths CR-V gets with time an inch or greater sag, picture attached). Design flaw, weak body and bad metal are the suspects. Most popular remedy is to replace rear springs and use spacers however problem often comes back. Wonder how many CR-V North American/UK owners experienced this issue or know someone who did?

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements