2015/16 CVT whistle/whining/turbo like noise
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2015/16 CVT whistle/whining/turbo like noise

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question 2015/16 CVT whistle/whining/turbo like noise

A few months back I was driving around with the windows down and notice a very distinct, soft yet noticeable whistle sound coming from my 2015 CRV AWD. The noise was easily replicated by driving to about 40 to 50km/h then taking my foot off the gas as letting the CRV coast and slowly lose speed. as the car slowed down the whistle noise would start changing in pitch as the car came to a stop. My CRV literally sounds like it has a turbo mounted underneath my ride. So I took to the net and saw that I am not alone. Many Accord drivers with the earth dreams engine/CVT combo report the same noise. But obviously not everyone is reporting this.

I took my CRV to the shop yesterday and the senior mechanic was easily able to hear the noise and was genuinely confused. He mentioned he had never really noticed the noise. He performed various checks, ensured fluids were topped up then compared my CRV to a used 2015 CRV on the used lot which he mentioned sounded similar as mine. Thus the dreaded "performing as designed" diagnosis and I was on my way. At least I have a work order from the dealer in case this "performing as designed" turns out to be incorrect in the future.

I am curious as to how many members may be experiencing this noise? Has anyone who had this noise ended up having CVT issues? The reason I ask is that this noise is common, from reading various Nissan sites, in CVT's that are failing or have CVT fluid issues (replacing the CVT fluid fixed the issue for some). Obviously the two CVT are different but it is concerning.

I also on the Nissan sites that this noise is also common with CVT's in general. I am no mechanic by any means and if this is true or not is beyond my knowledge. Any Honda techs on the site care to comment on CVT noise and the reliability of our Honda CVT transmissions? It would appear that Nissan has had a rough go of it with their version.

Thank you as always fellow members!

Maxxi

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I hear it from time to time on my '15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I hear it, too, on my 15. (especially if coasting by a big building or jersey barrier, where it echos back). like a deceleration whine. It was mentioned in another recent thread, too.

Harmless and just something native to this type of transmission, I suppose. My previous car (Lexus RX) had an almost similar noise, which had something to do with insulation around the transmission lines. (non CVT)
    2015 Copper Sunset Pearl CR-V Touring
    2015 Obsidian Blue Pearl CR-V Touring
    Prev: 2004 Lexus RX-330, 2004 Toyota Rav 4, 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, 2000 CR-V, 1996 Elantra, 1994 Camry, 1988 Accord, 1986 Accord, 1983 200sx

Agree with Rhody. Deceleration whine. First noticed wth window down at low speeds.
    Seems to be a characteristic of these cars so it's not something I'm worried by.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    The whistle or noise you are hearing is the CVT gearing down or changing the sizes or the pulleys. Its normal for these vehicles to have this noise. Some older CVT from other makes sounds more louder than the CRV. You can verify this when you hear the whistle shift it into neutral but be sure you do it safely. Don't do this procedure often as it's not good for the transmission.

Thanks for the reply guys! My dealer has reported no issues with the CVT to date which definitely made me feel better but the fact that Nissan's displaying the same noise was generally indicative of some sort of CVT failure increased my anxiety. As I mentioned earlier at the very least, I have the dealer report which clearly says nothing found and the noise was "normal" just in case something ever does go wrong. Bummer I had to waste most of a day sitting in the service lounge lol

I often heard a faint, annoying, high-pitched whine coming from the speakers in a new '15 CR-V EX-L I drove for two months. The '16 CR-V Touring I bought didn't have this sound. The '17 Ridgeline RTL-E (totally different vehicle that has almost nothing in common with a CR-V) I bought does it occasionally around 40-55 MPH. If you pull the radio/amp fuses, it stops. It sounds similar to "alternator whine" except it varies with vehicle speed, not engine speed or transmission gear ratio.

I hear it on my '16 too

my 16 has this whistling sound as well. in low speed or accelerating in low speed. sounds like a turbo. Dont have time to discuss with dealer yet. Maybe bring that up when next maintenance.

My wife's '15 has that noise as well. My brothers 2014 Ford F150 with ecoboost engine also makes that sound. I'm pretty confident that it's just a byproduct of the engine and transmission in our cars.

I honestly kind of like it, and have never thought of it as a negative or annoyance.

EDIT: After a bit of research I found this on an Ford Forum "The noise your hearing is coming from your alternator bearing. My truck makes this noise as well. I am a parts manager for a ford dealership and the service managers truck makes this noise also. I have noticed it around 1800 rpm when it is below 30 degrees outside. When the truck warms up the noise goes away. Also watch your amp gague when the truck is making noise youll notice it will go to 3/4. My truck has done it for the better part of a year with no problems yet, but Ford says there is nothing wrong with it."
    Last edited by teamrubixcube; 01-11-2017 at 01:24 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread