2003 CRV Air Conditioner Problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 CRV Air Conditioner Problems

crv|oc Rank: Member

2003 CRV Air Conditioner Problems

Has anyone heard of any compressor problems with Honda CRVs? My mechanic says he gets quite a few of them. I have had my CRV 3.5 years and suddenly the A/C stopped working. It makes a loud clunking noise when I turn it on and the air does not cool. Fan is OK. My mechanic took quick look and thinks its the compressor (lots of $ as he says they cannot get replacement parts). He will check it out completely this week. If it is the compressor, I think I have a valid complaint with Honda (poor quality) as car has only 40000 plus miles and we do not live in Fla. or the desert.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by rweintr View Post
    Has anyone heard of any compressor problems with Honda CRVs? My mechanic says he gets quite a few of them. I have had my CRV 3.5 years and suddenly the A/C stopped working. It makes a loud clunking noise when I turn it on and the air does not cool. Fan is OK. My mechanic took quick look and thinks its the compressor (lots of $ as he says they cannot get replacement parts). He will check it out completely this week. If it is the compressor, I think I have a valid complaint with Honda (poor quality) as car has only 40000 plus miles and we do not live in Fla. or the desert.
    If you go thru an independent mechanic instead of your local Honda dealer you will get ZERO CONSIDERATION.

Take it to the dealership, have it diagnosed and call Honda Corporate.

There have been many threads on this already.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

A/C Problem

When you say you have had many threads like this, do you mean A/C complaints or do you mean taking your car to a mechanic vs. a dealer? I searched the forum and saw no other complaints about A/Cs.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by rweintr View Post
    When you say you have had many threads like this, do you mean A/C complaints or do you mean taking your car to a mechanic vs. a dealer? I searched the forum and saw no other complaints about A/Cs.
    The 2nd gens, at least to 2004's so far, have been having AC compressor issues. Honda will not cover repairs out of warranty if you go to an independent mechanic. Honda tends to do very good things, even way out of warranty, for people that have maintained loyalty not only by buying Honda's, but also by utilizing the Honda dealer network for service. Sometimes, saving a couple $ here and there by using an independent shop doesn't make sense in the long run if an expensive part doesn't get a freebie repair later on to reward your loyalty. Honda is not GM nor Ford when it comes to out of warranty issues.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

I posted this to the Topix forum and thought I would post it here as well. This is re: problems w/ my 2003 Honda CRV air conditioning....

Hello all....I'm yet another Honda CRV (2003) owner who had their A/C suddenly stop working. The fan blows, the green light comes on but no cold air. My story has a twist...sort of a "chicken and egg" twist.

I have read all of the stories of the compressor imploding, so that was the first thing that came to mind. My local mechanic was familiar w/ the "black death" scenario where the compressor implodes, contaminates the entire system and your stuck spending $3k plus. KBB indicates my vehicle is worth between $3,100 and $4,500 so I figured if this was "black death" I would just sell the vehicle "as is" and move on.

Anyway, my mechanic said he would put some Freon in the system and see what happens. So he partially services Freon and the fan starts blowing cold air. He started looking around and noticed the condenser (in front of the radiator) and behind the front grill was leaking. He pulled the condenser and noticed 75% of the condenser was pock marked due to road hazards such as rocks and such. The only part not pock marked was the area protected by the license plate and mount. When I bent down to examine the area in front of the condenser (forward of the bumper) I noticed there was virtually nothing in the bumper cutouts to stop road hazards from pelleting the condenser....simply a direct shot. It's a miracle the condenser didn't leak much sooner than 145k miles and 11 years.

Anyway, my mechanic replaced the condenser, serviced Freon and I'm back up and running. The compressor had nothing to do w/ my issue in this case. Total cost was $437.77 including reconditioned condenser.

Nice write up. My mom had an 02 and the AC stopped working. Bought a new compressor but then she decided to trade it in before installing so never knew what the real problem was.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements