99 CRV died - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 99 CRV died

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Several weeks later, car still running well. No additional problems. It was something in that distributor evidently because the connector looked solid.

This car is amazing and we will buy another (gen 2 this time) next spring.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Happy to hear it's still running fine.

Buffalo4

crv|oc Rank: Member
    The "next spring" purchase never happened but I am STILL driving the '99 every single day back and forth to work, this is one of the most amazing machines ever designed. Just under 245,000 miles now.

The distributor problem might not have been the distributor, this summer it started acting up again, cutting in and out while driving. One day it was doing it so badly, like about 30 times on the way to work I was able to get clues. It was cutting out while going highway speed and cutting back in soon enough to stay with traffic.
    I started watching what was going off while the motor was not powered... the entire instrument cluster (speedo, tach) would go to zero, but the radio would stay on.

On a hunch after I got to work I just started hitting wires randomly with a screwdriver, relays, and when I got to the back of the ignition switch it would make the car stall. I pulled the switch and noticed badly worn contacts, cleaned them up and it hasn't done it since.

Came back here after a happy birthday e-mail.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Ignition switch burns out in these vehicles. My 98 crv had same problem. Replaced with junkyard one. I love my crv too very dependable.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    It probably was the distributor, or one of its components, the first time and the failing ignition switch was a non-related second problem.
    Then, we'll never know. Yes, that CRV is one dependable and great machine.
    Happy driving.
    Buffalo4

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements