99 CRV died
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 CRV died

crv|oc Rank: Member

99 CRV died

Hi everyone,

99 with an automatic, 4 wheel

If it were a small chevy I would say "crank position sensor" but it died, no spark. My questions are:

Ignition module... does it have one and if so is it under the distributor cap like a lot of other cars?

I see reference to a cam position sensor, but not a crank position sensor. Does it have a crank sensor and if so where is it approximately?

How about the cam position sensor... where is that?

I haven't had a moments problems with this car otherwise except I had to get universal joints on the driveshaft (yes I found a place willing to do just the joints). Normally I would just get rid of a vehicle this old (almost 220,000 miles) but this thing has been so amazing I will drive it to the end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Possibly a worn out ignition coil. The coil and the ignitor are both under the distributor cap. Hell, maybe the rotor broke!!!!
    Take a look and tell us if you found something.
    Buffalo4

Thank you for the reply, I will keep in touch.

The horrible thing is... I went out today with my brother in law to push it in to my garage for the disassembly and.... it started. I can't trust it now, I pulled in the garage popped the hood and started tapping on things around the distributor hoping it would die but it kept running.

It is much easier to diagnose a dead car than a running one especially when it runs great.

How about that cam sensor, would that cause it to be flaky? I don't like just replacing a bunch of stuff.

I have a new cap and rotor so I'll pull it off tomorrow night and see what I can see. Man I hope there is something obvious.

Jim

no start

when you had your no start condition was it real damp out? If it happens again and you notice that it is real damp you can buy a can of wire dryer and spray it on the cap and the wires and see if that helps... if it does it needs wires and cap/rotor

There was simply no spark at all. It was a dry day, nothing unusual with temp or moisture.

I have a brand new cap/rotor/gasket (honda brand OEM) I will put on tonight but I'm yanking that coil/igniter also just in case. I'd like to put the cam sensor in also if I can figure out where it is.

Remember to disconnect the connector going to the distributor before cranking the motor anytime the spark plugs wires are left off the sparkplugs and not grounded because that can cause arcing at the coil itself and ruining the coil.
    Check that connector and perhaps it is corroded or one of its wires is not making good contact.
    I'm curious to see what you find inside the distributor cap area, esp any whitish buildup and/or other corrosion.
    Buffalo
    PS: I hope you find something obvious.

I worked on it for a while tonight, nobody told me a stubby phillips is the key tool

Anyhow I took the cap off, everything looks virtually new underneath. Then I proceeded to strip the head on the screw that holds the rotor to the shaft so I removed the distributor and will take it to work tomorrow to drill it out.

I didn't notice anything unusual, no corrosion or anything, but did notice the two screws on top (I presume these hold the coil, can't tell till I remove the rotor) were loose. The bearing in the shaft seems a little loose too, if it's just a bronze bushing I'll make one tomorrow. If it's a BB I'll order one and replace it.

Still wondering about the cam position sensor... where might that be?

Today I bought a used distributor, was amazed I could actually find one locally. I slid it in and it runs but it did when I took it apart too. I drove it back to work and home no incidents.

My logic is I saw 3 pickup coils, a ignition coil and a little white module in there. I wasn't going to replace one by one and test all the little things in there, so I figure there is one chance in a million that both distributors could have the same problem. If it quits again at least I can look beyond the distributor.

I was told the only distributors that fit that are 99 thru 01 CR-V's and no other hondas on earth. Anyone know if this is true or not (curiosity)?

Anyhow thanks for all the comments and suggestions, on to the next problem!

Jim

It would be interesting to see which part failed. I would guess the coil or the ignitor, but we'll probably never know, unless you experiment and switch some of the parts around.
    Happy to hear it's running again.
    Buffalo
    PS: How much did that used distributor cost?

I found some as low as 40 bucks but hundreds of miles away. I paid 100 bucks for one 10 minutes from my house, only one I found in Columbus. It was a gamble but seems to have paid off being it still is working.

Thanks for looking in, and no I'm not going to experiment as my need for the car is greater than my curiosity. It would be interesting though, I bet my old one has a lot of good parts still in it.

Jim

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements