2003 catalytic converter worn out
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 catalytic converter worn out

crv|oc Rank: Member

2003 catalytic converter worn out

Have two customers with CRV's both codes PO420 cat eff. called dealer, said the cat needs replacing. both of these vehicles have 87k plus mileage. Called Honda customer relations. Said there wouldn't be any warranty adjustment. Seems low mileage for a cat to go out, tech at dealer stated they replace cats all the time. What gives? Tech said this is a $880 repair ticket.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by duramax View Post
    Have two customers with CRV's both codes PO420 cat eff. called dealer, said the cat needs replacing. both of these vehicles have 87k plus mileage. Called Honda customer relations. Said there wouldn't be any warranty adjustment. Seems low mileage for a cat to go out, tech at dealer stated they replace cats all the time. What gives? Tech said this is a $880 repair ticket.
    Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest having the actual customer call Honda and open a case. However, diagnosis and repair must be done at a Honda dealership, not third party. When they call Honda, they need to be polite and mention their loyalty to Honda as in how many Hondas they have owned in the past, how loyal they have been with Honda dealerships, etc. Don't lie. They will already know.
    Honda seems to be better than most at providing assistance, after the warranty is up.
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Cat response

2REDV's
    Customer did call Honda, spoke to the same person I spoke to. His name was Juan. Very nice, Passed it on to a fellow named Armen. Armen informed her the vehicle had a 3 yr/36000 mile warranty. The customer called me back and I informed her the warranty on the emission equipment is 7 yrs/80000 miles. She called Armen back and he was very short with her and informed her that she had allot of miles on her CRV and she was past the warranty period. Juan atleast gave her a case number, however I don't believe it will be of any value to her with this problem. I just find that a cat goes out so close to the warranty period and the dealership is replacing cats right and left that something must be wrong. These cats should go atleast 150K unless other problems are going with the vehicle. But can there be that many problems as the tech informed me of replacing cats? In my experience the reason a cat goes out prematurely is excess fuel (which will cause the cat to glow) or the program for the ecm is incorrect. No one seems to know, just replace the cat. There has to be a cause somewhere.

Thank you for responding,
    Duramax

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements