1999 Crv Dist Cap & Plugs Help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1999 Crv Dist Cap & Plugs Help

crv|oc Rank: Member

1999 Crv Dist Cap & Plugs Help

Hi, I have a 1999 CRV EX 4wd and I think I screwed up trying to change my dist cap and rotor. I forgot to mark to dist to correctly but the right distributor plug wire to correct cylinder. If I am looking at the cap strait on and the plugs lets say farthest away from the dist would be 4 and closest would be 1. Distrib would be top left or bottom right to farthest away or 4, I know crazy but this is the most easy way to understand it...Help is most appreciated and thank you again.. Right now the car wont start and the check engine is flashing, sounds like it almost wants to turn over but nope.. Changed plugs, wires but not cap n rotor yet but just tried to start it with just the plugs n wires changed just to make sure before doing cap n rotor, thats where I am now, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Here is my 2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Shryp; 12-06-2010 at 07:54 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Nice job Shryp!

ruwilde59,
    For future reference the sparkplug closest to the distributor is #4 and the plug furthest away from the distributor is #1.
    Shryp's picture make it crystal clear which wire goes where regardless of the numbering system used.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2 and the number 1 terminal on the cap is on the bottom left when viewing the cap from the passenger side when it is mounted on the distributor.

Hopefully your CRV will start and run fine. Please post back with the results.

Buffalo4

PS: When you change the rotor and cap, make sure you disconnect the connector with the low voltage wires in it that go to the distributor if you plan on using the starter to nudge the engine over to get the rotor into the right position (firing tip towards the front) so that the rotor screw if visible. To disconnect that connector, first remove it from it's anchor and then disconnect the connector from itself. The connector should slide off its anchor to the drivers side of the car (USA). If you don't, you stand the chance of shorting out the ignition coil because it may arc to itself if the coil's high tension terminal isn't grounded, which it isn't when the distr cap is removed.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 12-06-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Shryp:

A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmithvt View Post
    Shryp:

A picture really is worth a thousand words.
    Well I just wrote 4,000 words and boy am I tired. My first draft had around 10,000 words, but most of them were crappy or duplicate words.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Update

Thanks a million, the pics got me there in a snap and sure enough 2 wires were crossed, she started right up so I did the wires but one little problem was trying to get the bottom screw out on the dist cap, impossible to reach it unless u remove the hoses, did any of you guys remove them to get the dist off? Just no room to get a tool in there and a socket wont seem to fit cause the design of the cap, has a phillips head i noticed but cant get a screw driver in there... Aways something but you guys save me a huge tow truck bill..

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    You can remove the airbox and then you will have plenty of room. There are only two bolts holding it in and the air hose is not hard to remove. It should be fairly apparent.
    Buffalo4

Super Moderator
    All you need is a 1/4" ratchet and 6 mm socket (socket size is from memory) on a small extention to get at the three screws. No parts removal is required.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements