2009 Rear Differential Leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Rear Differential Leak

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

Smile 2009 Rear Differential Leak

I have a 2009 CRV LX 4WD, recently spotted rear differential is wet, cleaned it with brake cleaner, drove around and checked again, found leaking where shaft joins the rear differential (from that little hole, pictures below). No where else leaks, I checked carefully.

Differential fluid was changed at 63200 miles. Now the car has 88000 miles on it.

I do routine maintenance on this car, consider myself a handyman (biggest project done was replacing front axle on my old jetta)

Questions:

1. How often does this happen? normal for CRV? I only drive on paved road, I think this problem is quite rare on CRV.

2. Pinion seal problem? Can I DIY? what the part number? any procedure I can follow? I can't find it on the internet.

Thanks guys...you are always great!!!

Name:  IMG_20170204_140239.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  40.5 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    By the way, it seems it only leaks while driving for a relatively longer time......hotter oil inside hotter pressure? please advise...

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    Was anything done before this happened? I would suggest to check the vent tube 1st before replacing the seal. This is the 1st time I have seen this part leak. It could be you have a clogged vent tube. When the oil gets hot it will expand , if it does not have room to expand it will force its way to the seal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by otto888man View Post
    Was anything done before this happened? I would suggest to check the vent tube 1st before replacing the seal. This is the 1st time I have seen this part leak. It could be you have a clogged vent tube. When the oil gets hot it will expand , if it does not have room to expand it will force its way to the seal.
    Nothing was done before I found the leak, I did find the venting hoses, but they are connected to a square box which is hard to reach, I will try tomorrow morning...

You are exactly right...first time hearing this part leak...

Thanks, will keep you posted....

Thanks (Received)
    I can blow air bi-bidirectionally through the vent hoses (pic below), I can insert a metal wire 3 inches deep into the metal hose part (pic below) until the wire was stopped by an unknown thing...

it seems venting part is OK.

I was able to top off 350 mL differential fluid. New washer is on the way, will replace differential fluid once I receive the washer.

Any suggestion except pinion seal?

Thanks!!!

Name:  IMG_20170205_120614.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.7 KBName:  IMG_20170205_121404.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.1 KB

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    I would suggest to wait for the new seal & replace the old fluid 1st. As it could be contaminated or it could be the wrong type of fluid/oil. Then see if the leak stops. Just want to confirm, you used Honda Dual Pump fluid? Try also this, when you get the new washer & you have drained the old fluid. Try to blow backwards going to the differential with the rubber hose attached to the metal pipe going to the diff.

Thanks (Received)
    I would suggest to wait for the new seal & replace the old fluid 1st. As it could be contaminated or it could be the wrong type of fluid/oil. Then see if the leak stops. Just want to confirm, you used Honda Dual Pump fluid? Try also this, when you get the new washer & you have drained the old fluid. Try to blow backwards going to the differential with the rubber hose attached to the metal pipe going to the diff.
    Yes, I always use Honda OEM fluids. Never used after market ones. And yes, it is Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.

Will follow your suggestion, will keep you updated...

Thanks!!!

Thanks (Received)
    I have no problem blowing air back into the metal pipe after I drained old differential oil. Now new oil is in...I will observe for a few days...will let you know...Thanks again.

Thanks (Received)
    After changing oil, checking all hoses, and waited for a couple of days, that hole still leaks a little bit...forming a drop at the bottom of differential box...but does not stain garage floor. I guess this is it. I don't mind leave it as it is for a while, the oil won't be empty soon.

Do you think changing pinion seal on CRV is as same as on other vehicles? I saw a bunch of videos on youtube, seems all similar...

I also read somewhere on the internet that it is not the same: Honda dealer can only replace the whole differential, if they can't do it, it must be different.

Any suggestion? thanks!!!
    Last edited by guodaorong; 02-09-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Anyone has a DIY for replacing rear differential pinion seal?

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast