Burnt Smell coming from rear brakes
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burnt Smell coming from rear brakes

crv|oc Rank: Member

Burnt Smell coming from rear brakes

Now that its winter, after a drive, when i get out of the car and remove my daughter from her car seat, I notice a weird burnt smell coming from what seems to be the rear wheels. Anyone notice something similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Just a thought - maybe there is ice buildup on your parking brake linkage. While the floor pedal is coming up, the cable itself may not be releasing your parking brakes completely. What you are smelling is the rear brake pads rubbing against the rotors. If possible, look underneath to see if there is ice accumulation on the underside, or perhaps around the inside of your rear wheels. If so, take your "V" to a hand spray car wash & go at the ice with the hot water spray. That should help.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by 09CRV View Post
    Now that its winter, after a drive, when i get out of the car and remove my daughter from her car seat, I notice a weird burnt smell coming from what seems to be the rear wheels. Anyone notice something similar?
    You can verify that it is the rear brakes by carefully touching the wheels when you have driven for about 5 minutes (they could be hot enough to burn you.) If one or both rear wheels are hot then the brakes are dragging. Both would probably indicate the emerg. brake holding them on. It could as mentioned be frozen or it could be corroded. In either case the cable needs work or replacing. It can also indicate that the brakes need servicing, many things can cause the pads to drag on the discs. Be very carefull driving the vehicle on ice or packed snow as the rear wheels may lock up causing the rear end to slide unpredictably.
    You can click here Burning smell from rear brake to read about a common problem with CRV right rear burning smell, if you don't find the wheels are hot.
    Last edited by fixer; 01-03-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add text

smells

Does it smell like brakes ? or like rubber ...if it's a rubber smell it's likey just the rubber hangers getting hot , Have had this on several of my Hondas including the RSX ....Normal .

Rubber on the Muffler.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements